Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 09:58 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,584,788 times

Advertisements

So they plan on discriminating against born and bred American citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 05:57 AM

5,115 posts, read 4,883,077 times
When I first read the headline in the news, my thought was, "Darn. I like Starbucks coffee but I may boycott." I believe in taking care of Americans first. But then I read more into the article.
The first thing that caught my attention was the statement, "the focus would be on hiring immigrants " 'who have served with U.S. troops as interpreters and support personnel.' ” While not foolproof, I think that serving alongside our military speaks volumes. There are plenty of AMERICAN out there who won't serve their country.
The letter also went on to speak of other political subjects that the company has issues with; trade and health insurance among them. They said they will, "provide health insurance to eligible workers if the health care law is repealed". My question is; What's stopping them from doing that now? (I know the answer...nothing!).
End result?? I'm actually kind of okay with the hiring thing. I would still like to see American hired first and foremost, but I'm warm to seeing those who have served our country receive some preference too. As for the insurance thing; I say they should get off their big, fat bankroll and buy insurance for their employees or shut up.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:36 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,122,498 times
I have no problem with Starbucks and I do treat myself to their coffee about once a week. But I prefer Dunkin Donuts because DD is much less expensive.

If Starbucks thinks that hiring refugees is going to be good for business - then by all means go ahead. But if this is actually code for hiring illegal immigrants -- you better think again. If you plan on hiring illegals, be prepared for a massive boycott from Middle America!!!

Old 01-30-2017, 06:38 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,428,474 times
I don't like Starbucks coffee. Cheap beans that are over roasted to hide their inferior quality yet priced like it's true premium coffee.

Better coffee can be found at even the Waffle House.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:44 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,955,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
When I first read the headline in the news, my thought was, "Darn. I like Starbucks coffee but I may boycott." I believe in taking care of Americans first. But then I read more into the article.
The first thing that caught my attention was the statement, "the focus would be on hiring immigrants " 'who have served with U.S. troops as interpreters and support personnel.' †While not foolproof, I think that serving alongside our military speaks volumes. There are plenty of AMERICAN out there who won't serve their country.
The letter also went on to speak of other political subjects that the company has issues with; trade and health insurance among them. They said they will, "provide health insurance to eligible workers if the health care law is repealed". My question is; What's stopping them from doing that now? (I know the answer...nothing!).
End result?? I'm actually kind of okay with the hiring thing. I would still like to see American hired first and foremost, but I'm warm to seeing those who have served our country receive some preference too. As for the insurance thing; I say they should get off their big, fat bankroll and buy insurance for their employees or shut up.

Indeed, the Starbucks CEO announced that 1) they would hire up to 10,000 refugees, over the next five years, in the 75 countries in which Starbucks is located; 2) as for US stores, they would give preference to those immigrants that, as you say, served/supported the United States overseas.

Starbucks to hire 10,000 refugees worldwide - MarketWatch

However, we shall now return the thread to those that will proclaim that Starbucks is denying 10,000 Americans the chance to serve me coffee...................

Old 01-30-2017, 06:45 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,067,451 times
Starbucks in China... Woohoo

Wonder what the going rate is per hour...Pennies?

Sounds like an Uber lib wanting to pay pitence wages to the underclass

Now..I can't wait for the first American lawyer to hit him with discrimination when he fails to hire Americans in America...

Ah.. Money..Someone always wants it more than you

Boycott Starbucks...Don't give any money to anyone who uses star...And bucks together

Old 01-30-2017, 06:45 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,368,482 times
Trump voters already boycotting them anyway. (#TrumpCup)

Old 01-30-2017, 06:49 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,428,474 times
Seems to me the US Government under Obama's plan is supporting these "refugees"

Why would they want one of that Starbuck CEO's minimum wage jobs?

Old 01-30-2017, 06:54 AM

38,994 posts, read 27,382,550 times
I will believe it when I see it. Talk is cheap

Just did a quick search, it looks like

At the Annual Meeting of Shareholders in March, Starbucks pledged to hire at least 10,000 young people between the ages of 16-24 who are not in school or employed.

https://news.starbucks.com/news/year...of-opportunity

I guess they are going to throw the young people 16-24 under the bus.

See? this is how the real world works. You play favoritism and another group will suffer. Obviously starbucks made its own choice. I don't really care what they do, their company, their rule. But they shouldn't be lying like this, it is misleading.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,509,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
So they plan on discriminating against born and bred American citizens?
As was posted earlier, Starbuck's CEO has stated the intent to hire 10,000 refugees over 5 years in 75 countries.

Interesting how some media chose to drop the " in 75 countries" part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies