Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 10:01 AM

305 posts, read 179,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Incorrect. People aren't being detained while already in our country. They were detained at the border, which was OUTSIDE of our country.
At airports is not outside of our country.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ountries-trump

"By Saturday evening, there were 11 people in detention at New York City’s John F Kennedy airport who had arrived from Iraq and other barred countries"

It might be "fake news" to you. But there you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 10:04 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 253valerie View Post
At airports is not outside of our country.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ountries-trump

"By Saturday evening, there were 11 people in detention at New York City’s John F Kennedy airport who had arrived from Iraq and other barred countries"

It might be "fake news" to you. But there you go.
LOL!

They were at the Port of Entry, not in our country. Get your fact straight please.

Yes, our airports are physically located in our country but legally the POE is NOT. This is internationally recognized thing.

When was the last time you traveled outside of this country? I do this at least a few times a year.

At the POE, people do NOT have the same rights as inside of the country. Even as citizens, the only rights we have is to remain silent and enter the country. We don't have the freedom of speech or even due process to some extent. The custom agents can search without probable cause.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 01-30-2017 at 11:03 AM..

Old 01-30-2017, 10:07 AM

305 posts, read 179,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
LOL!

They were at the port of entry, not in our country. Get your fact straight please.

Yes, the airport is physically located in our country but legally the POE is NOT. This is internationally recognized thing.
Well a federal judge thought they were in the US enough for the order to violate their rights.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:09 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
This thread already exists. As I said in the other thread:

For one, it doesn't have to impact you to make something not right. If we all only fought against injustices that happened to us, then how could we call ourselves decent human beings?

But to the point of the thread...

I work at a university. One of my favorite coworkers was a Lost Boy of Sudan. He has a green card and is on the path for citizenship, but he also recently found relatives who he lost when his village was raided and he left on foot as a child. In the past two or three years, he's been going back and forth to the refugee camp in Kenya to get to know them. Even though he is LEGALLY in the US and will soon be a citizen, if he had been out of the country when this order came down, he wouldn't have been able to get back in.

There is a conference in Europe next week that several of our PhD candidates and postdocs have been invited to present at. It's a big deal. A BIG deal. But the research team includes someone from Syria and someone from Iran. I was involved on Friday afternoon with emergency meetings about how to try to get them to go to honor their work. Now, they cannot go. Legally in the US and some of the best and brightest in the world, but we don't know that they would be able to get back in.

We have quite a few students who hold Somalian, Sudanese, or other citizenships who are currently studying abroad. All are legally in the US, many with either dual-citizenship or permanent legal residency. They and their parents are calling in a panic about if they will be able to get home. Not to mention that this action puts all Americans at risk abroad by deeply tarnishing the perception of the US.

A friend at my synagogue is of British-Iraqi descent. He's a naturalized US citizen but his parents both also hold Iraqi citizenship. He's expecting his first child soon and is concerned his parents will not be allowed into the country to meet their grandchild. Several others in my synagogue have Iranian citizenship. Remember- anyone with an Iranian father automatically has Iranian citizenship. And that's to say nothing that few of us would have even existed if someone had not accepted us as refugees.

I would not exist if my great grandparents had not been accepted as refugees. Every. last. Jewish. person. in the town my family comes from was taken out into the woods and shot. Every single one. Not in my name. And sure as hell not on Holocaust Memorial Day.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Well a federal judge thought they were in the US enough for the order to violate their rights.
Devil in the details or what the liberal propaganda doesn't tell you. I don't know the details of those being detained. If the detained have green cards, the federal judge is right; if they simply have visas, I don't think so. It needs to be sorted out in the court.

See the ACLU's pamphlet. It's actually very accurate:

https://www.aclu.org/files/kyr/kyr_english_5.pdf

"Yes. Customs officers have the right to stop, detain and search any person or item. But officers cannot select you for a
personal search based on your race, gender, religious or ethnic background.

If you are a non-citizen, you generally do not have the right to an attorney when you have arrived at an airport or another port of entry and an immigration officer is inspecting you to decide whether or not you will be admitted. However, you do have the right to an attorney if the questions relate to anything other than your immigration status."

As you can see, we have very few rights at the POE.

EDIT:

I got more information after I read the ACLU complaint.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...-Complaint.pdf

The two petitioners both have SIV, special immigrant visas. So the judge's stay is very narrowly limited to people with SIVs. Personally, I would agree both non-citizens with SIVs and green cards should NOT be affected by the temporary ban. They both considered legal immigrants. I am sure Trump will tweak his EO to exclude SIVs. Green card holders aren't affect anyway.

I hope this answers all your questions. You see the lying media told us a very different story.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 01-30-2017 at 10:49 AM..

Old 01-30-2017, 10:21 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
There is already a thread on this.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...s-certain.html

As I stated there, it changes the very foundation America was built on.
I think you're misinterpreting what is simply a travel and immigration restriction ban that is aimed for security reason. The ban doesn't stop immigration, it places limits due to security risks but thousands of foreigners are still coming in and leaving.

Political correctness has clouded your judgements.

Take Gun laws in NY, CA for example that are directly opposed to the foundation America was built on. Why is it legal for NY and CA to restrict the owership of guns?? Our country was founded on right to bear arms.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yeah. I would agree with that.

Not sure why you quoted my post though. Mine has nothing to do with yours.
Because I like you.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:30 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
The private Catholic university that I teach at has student populations from these countries. The ones who are here may not be able to travel back on holidays and breaks for fear of not being able to get back in when a future semester starts up.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:32 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
BFD, not all judges should be judges and not all are that smart.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:34 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
The private Catholic university that I teach at has student populations from these countries. The ones who are here may not be able to travel back on holidays and breaks for fear of not being able to get back in when a future semester starts up.
Poor babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies