Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 01:57 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Is Lyft considered a tech company? I've always considered tech companies to be like google, Facebook, yahoo, PayPal, etc.

Those tech companies have markets that don't stop at national borders. They are global companies in the fullest sense.
Not all tech companies do business globally. There are many national tech companies. It is an app similar to Uber and so it considered a tech company due to its business being driven via an app.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 02:04 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
They offered legal help to their employees who may suffer as the result. Good for them.
A lot of these companies get the best employees because of their company culture. Because of that they can innovate and make their big $$$. So, they are doing the right thing re-affirming their company values.

You are wrong if you think that all they care is company stock price.
You're dreaming bro any company on the stock market only cares about one thing. $$$$. They don't have a choice. Get with the times boi the top 1 percenters and libbie elites have you fooled. They don't give a crap about Muslims or your pathetic anti-Trump hipster movement that will last about half as long as Occupy Wall Street did.

90 percent of the country supported Occupy Wall Street and it lasted like a month lol.

They want to innovate to make their big $$$ yup that's right. Guess where they do it? In the US which is at least half Trump supporters.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:04 PM

1,261 posts, read 949,869 times
It's funny to me that all during the election, the rhetoric on this site was that conservatives are job creators and liberals are nothing but losers who mooch off of the government and the hard-working conservatives of this country. Now this thread is telling me that the most successful businesses in this country are liberal. Interesting!

Old 01-30-2017, 02:06 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
You're not going to impress me at all pal. I grew up down there. My stepmother's family owns Sunnyvale Toyota and a whole lota commercial property in the area.

All the venture capital in the world wont stop a turn down.
Yeah but such a downturn would affect the whole world.

You actually think Silicon Valley alone will be negatively impacted in a global banking downturn?

Haha really?

And big whoop on Sunnyvale Toyota.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:07 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Now this thread is telling me that the most successful businesses in this country are liberal. Interesting!
100% true.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:09 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Combine Austin+Raleigh's tech output and multiply them by 10 and they still dont come close.

C'mon 'Middle America'-zat all u got?
Total nonsense. Research Triangle Park (RTP) outside of Raleigh (technically in Durham) is often called the Silicon Valley of the East. I know because I used to work there. It's huge. And they get support and synergy from NC State University, Duke University and UNC, all of which are only a few minutes drive from RTP. Serious technological advances are happening there.

Instead of being a snotty misfit try educating yourself.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:48 PM

1,229 posts, read 858,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah but such a downturn would affect the whole world.

You actually think Silicon Valley alone will be negatively impacted in a global banking downturn?

Haha really?

And big whoop on Sunnyvale Toyota.
I never said that. Banking and tech are two seperate bubbles.

I'm also on record as an enthusiastic Trump supporter that believes he won't be able to save the economy-------even after extending the debt a 100 years out. Absent a global debt jubilee - nothing will work.

My point regards Sunnyvale Toyota -- you're not the only one here who knows/understands Silicon Valley.

I don't think the housing market there is going to continue on in an upswing.....and the same for tech.

We will watch and see... Won't we

Old 01-30-2017, 02:49 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,646,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The backlash against this brand new administration is unprecedented. And this is just the beginning...
Yes. Great days ahead!

Old 01-30-2017, 03:05 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Total nonsense. Research Triangle Park (RTP) outside of Raleigh (technically in Durham) is often called the Silicon Valley of the East. I know because I used to work there. It's huge. And they get support and synergy from NC State University, Duke University and UNC, all of which are only a few minutes drive from RTP. Serious technological advances are happening there.

Instead of being a snotty misfit try educating yourself.
Oh, please. RTP is not the Silicon Valley of the East. There's no Apple, AMD, Google, Facebook, Netflix.. at RTP

GlaxoSmithKline, Fidelity Investments, RTI International, Credit Suisse, Lenovo, Biogen, United States Environmental Protection Agency, BASF... are nothing to sneeze at and there are some innovative start-ups in Durham but nothing like what is going on in Silicon Valley.

Even these companies are having a hard time attracting top notch tech people since that stupid bathroom bill passed. Who knew young, smart people would be reluctant to live in the midst of a bunch of religious nuts?

Another clue that RTP is no Silicon Valley East -- you can buy a 3 bedroom home with a decent backyard in nice neighborhood within easy commute of RTP for $300K give or take. Try doing that in Silicon Valley. Million dollar homes are not unheard of.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:08 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Oh, please. RTP is not the Silicon Valley of the East. There's no Apple, AMD, Google, Facebook, Netflix.. at RTP

GlaxoSmithKline, Fidelity Investments, RTI International, Credit Suisse, Lenovo, Biogen, United States Environmental Protection Agency, BASF... are nothing to sneeze at and there are some innovative start-ups in Durham but nothing like what is going on in Silicon Valley.

Even these companies are having a hard time attracting top notch tech people since that stupid bathroom bill passed. Who knew young, smart people would be reluctant to live in the midst of a bunch of religious nuts?

Another clue that RTP is no Silicon Valley East -- you can buy a 3 bedroom home with a decent backyard in nice neighborhood within easy commute of RTP for $300K give or take. Try doing that in Silicon Valley. Million dollar homes are not unheard of.
Yeah I agree but if you pay me enough I would work with Muslims even!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies