Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 09:24 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
Interesting, I have a completely different experience. Worked with an analyst who was born and raised in USA, probably can trace his lineage to Mayflower or something. He didn't want to spend any time to understand the business he was supposed to "analyze" or the system he was supposed to design.

At the same place there were several "H1-Bs" from India. Always helpful, sharp, knew their stuff. I would work with them again in a heartbeat! Analyst was moved from one position to another, because he clearly couldn't do his job. The company tried to use him as a project manager, technical writer - he didn't want to learn. I think he was finally let go, after 5 years of basically doing nothing and hindering others.
Oh how nice of you! You find one of the few Americans in the tech fields who is incompetent. No one said otherwise.

Yet, you are cheering on H1-Bs. The whole H1-B program either needs to be abolished or seriously revamped. H1-Bs should only be used if every American citizen tech worker is fielding multiple job offers with good salaries attached. If there are so many positions that can't be filled, then use visa workers. Once the situation is changed, send the visa workers back home. That's how the H1-B visa program was supposed to work. It was only supposed to be kept around until enough Americans got tech educations. The fees from the visa program were supposed to pay for this education program.

Instead, the program has become filled with fraud and corruption. It should never be used to lay off Americans and force them to train their H1-B replacements if they want their severance pay. Far too many H1-Bs have gotten visas by using fraudulent resumes.

I'm all in favor of scrapping the whole H1-B visa program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 09:24 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
No, I said no such thing---geez!

My husband had to update his skills. Got it now? What are you yammering about anyway?
I'm "yammering" (as you very politely put it) about the cost of "updating the skills" since you mentioned that those unemployed workers have no money to do the "update". I said that "the skills" can be updated for free.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:27 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times
I dont think tech companies can survive without H1 visa. I just had a coworker (contract employee) American born n raised cry the entire day because she didn't get the job she interviewed for. She has chemical engineering degree. I also have an India coworker who started out as H1 visa n now I believe citizen with same degree who has over 500 patents

Old 01-30-2017, 09:28 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Oh how nice of you! You find one of the few Americans in the tech fields who is incompetent. No one said otherwise.

Yet, you are cheering on H1-Bs. The whole H1-B program either needs to be abolished or seriously revamped. H1-Bs should only be used if every American citizen tech worker is fielding multiple job offers with good salaries attached. If there are so many positions that can't be filled, then use visa workers. Once the situation is changed, send the visa workers back home. That's how the H1-B visa program was supposed to work. It was only supposed to be kept around until enough Americans got tech educations. The fees from the visa program were supposed to pay for this education program.

Instead, the program has become filled with fraud and corruption. It should never be used to lay off Americans and force them to train their H1-B replacements if they want their severance pay. Far too many H1-Bs have gotten visas by using fraudulent resumes.

I'm all in favor of scrapping the whole H1-B visa program.

The level of entitlement about many americas is un-fathonable. You're saying that americans are entitled to jobs, HIGH salaries, NEVER being fired, and so forth. That is flat out delusional.

Also, my experience with H1b's that the quality is very high. I've known two or three that weren't as good in my work experience, but that is 3 out of almost 100.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
I'm "yammering" (as you very politely put it) about the cost of "updating the skills" since you mentioned that those unemployed workers have no money to do the "update". I said that "the skills" can be updated for free.
No. You brought up learning programming.

Sure, someone can be self taught. However, many companies want to see a certificate stating that a person has taken a class and became certified.

Post some links showing how those whose skills have become rusty (while H1-Bs have jobs, which is so galling) can take classes to update their skills if they have no money. I'm sure that the many Americans who work in tech but can't find work, would love to know what resources are available to them. Be sure to post those links every time the subject comes up in other threads.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I dont think tech companies can survive without H1 visa. I just had a coworker (contract employee) American born n raised cry the entire day because she didn't get the job she interviewed for. She has chemical engineering degree. I also have an India coworker who started out as H1 visa n now I believe citizen with same degree who has over 500 patents

We can survive just fine. But don't think that we're going to start subpar talent just for the sake of it. Why would we invest time and money into someone who only got a job because of the affirmative action policies that you're advocating.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:32 PM

This is also a generalization, but the H1B's that I've worked with are willing to work hard and put in the hours. They are willing to do work on the weekend from time to time and be engaged outside of work hours. Having a work life balance is important, but I also want to hire people who are willing to really work.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:33 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,742,675 times
Liberals...it's time for you to fall all over yourselves to promote foreigners over Americans... now go.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
The level of entitlement about many americas is un-fathonable. You're saying that americans are entitled to jobs, HIGH salaries, NEVER being fired, and so forth. That is flat out delusional.

Also, my experience with H1b's that the quality is very high. I've known two or three that weren't as good in my work experience, but that is 3 out of almost 100.
Why shouldn't Americans who are qualified to do a job get hired first and foremost? Do you think other countries like India would put up with Americans going there and taking jobs from Indians? If you think that, then you live in a dream world.

Why should the US be an employment agency for the entire world? Why should visa workers be holding jobs while qualified Americans go without? Oh, wait! I know! You like the idea of having visa workers who are nothing but cheap, exploitable workers. If they don't like their jobs, they just can't quit unless they find some other company who will sponsor them. It's either that or stay put and take abuse, like expecting to work very long hours, etc.

No one said that incompetent Americans should never be fired. However, no company should get away with laying off experienced, competent Americans and replacing them with H1-Bs. Period.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Liberals...it's time for you to fall all over yourselves to promote foreigners over Americans... now go.

It's called free markets for a reason.
I'm not going to let any government tell me who or what I can hire.

If you can't compete, it's probably best to go find a more appropriate line of work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies