Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you want Roe V Wade overturned?
No 193 79.75%
Yes 49 20.25%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 08:15 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,683,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
I believe that life occurs at implantation...
So then the deeply Christian state of Mississippi would disagree with you. This is because several years ago Mississippi soundly rejected the Personhood Amendment. If passed, if would essentially ban all abortion from giving human rights to the fetus, beginning at the moment of conception. The same thing was tried in Colorado and it, too, was soundly rejected. So make no doubt about it, the notion that life begins at conception and that it's then worthy of all human rights is an extreme, radical idea that not even most Christians can support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 08:28 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,380,847 times
Quote:
When taxpayer money is used to fund private organizations that engage in abortion, then it becomes an issue in the lives of those people who do not support the taking of an innocent life.

If people want to kill their offspring, then they should not seek funds from others to pay for it. If you want abortion rights to be ignored, then get the federal government out of abortions all together. Out of the legislation, out of the funding, and out of the politicizing of abortions.

Isn't valuing human life and human potential a "human right?" If anything, the government has more legal standing to protect the right to life of unborn children than to allow the ending of their lives because. Convenience.

Tax payer funds are paid to Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood performs abortions. Tax payer funds pay for abortions. It's called logic. Any funds paid to PP will be redistributed to clinics and health care facilities that deal with women's health issues, but do not perform abortions. Why does anyone have an issue with that? PP gets millions of dollars in donations and charges for their services, so what is the issue with stopping the funding of PP and redistributing that money to women's health care facilities that do not perform abortions?

That would end a contentious issue between pro-choice and pro-life activists and keep the funding for women's health issues where it belongs. Why are pro-choice activists, who claim they are concerned about women's medical care and reproductive health against providing tax funding to those medical service providers who handle all aspects of women's health other than abortion. Abortions can be referred out to PP, they just won't be funded by anything other than individual donations to PP or by the person aborting their baby themselves.
SO when planned parenthood raised private funds ... as declared by the Tax returns... They get about 5.2 Million..Privately 3.8 Million ..Private non-Government Services 305+ Million plus other about $77.9 Million!

So hey, when Planned parenthoods actual abortion services is 3%..and 97% for other services..and Government funds actually are only 30% of their funding... Just where in the hell does a bunch of politicians find it necessary to demonized Planned parenthood for giving serves to the poor/medicaid level citizens. GOP is doing nothing more than bashing a program that services the underserved segment of society.. PLUS there's some STATES that have actually caused further damage with forcing closures by unfounded required regulations. It's so obvious..BUT Pro-lifers are nothing but radical to force THEIR beliefs on others.

Fact Check: How Does Planned Parenthood Spend That Government Money? : It's All Politics : NPR

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2015...7-s300-c85.png

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2015...a-s300-c85.png

Bottomline is~~ from link above~

Quote:
What does the law say on funding abortions?

Title X does not allow federal funds to be used for abortions. Medicaid, however, does allow government money to be spent on them — in very restricted cases.

The 1977 Hyde Amendment dictated that federal Medicaid funds could only be used to fund abortions in cases of rape, incest or to protect the life of the mother. However, some states have expanded cases in which they will provide funds. Currently, 17 states allow funds to be used for "medically necessary" abortions. In those cases that these states count as medically necessary but that are not permitted by the federal guidelines, states cover the cost alone.
Yet Shriek bloody murder with even a whiff of having Gun ownership even getting vetted prior to purchase!!

Old 01-30-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Good for Mike Pence, I'm sure the people that voted for him agree with that. What's your point?
But it's a matter of fact that one of the most highly Christian states in the union, Mississippi, voted down an amendment similar to the Life at Conception Act. So why would the rest of America be for it?

Old 01-30-2017, 08:31 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,459,315 times
Is this even on the table right now? Did I miss a tweet or something? Why bring this up?

Old 01-30-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
This is supposed to be a free country. Sure you may never get an abortion or believe it's right but why do we have to get involved with other peoples lives and issues? Let's just live and let live. We don't know what some women are going through to bring them to this decision. It's not our business. Abortions aren't tax payer funded. Conservatives want de regulation of everything except human rights. I wonder why they feel this is their issue? Mostly men I might add. Strange....
Yes, very strange. Not even the Bible prohibits abortion. Those that claim, otherwise, have to struggle to read between the lines and see things most people don't.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I thought my position was clear.

I support the regulation of abortion to be handled on the state level as set forth in the Constitution. What about my position has anything to do with outlawing abortion. Where did I state I want "totally UNREGULATED" abortion? States can and do regulate businesses within their borders.

Didn't you say abortion is murder? I've never heard of regulating murder.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:38 PM

25,617 posts, read 17,360,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Look at some other Western countries where the number of unintended pregnancies is a fraction of ours. There is a reason why US has the highest number of any Western country.
... And what IS that reason?

Old 01-30-2017, 08:54 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,380,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Is this even on the table right now? Did I miss a tweet or something? Why bring this up?
Of course it is.. Congress has been paying defunding legislation for many years..never mind adding it to favourable bills (poison pill) in order to get DEFUNDING passed. GOP has been doing the same thing with Repeal ACA for passed 5 years. So with GOP in charge..why wouldn't they push thru such defunding??

BTW~~ Extreme pro-Lifer's don't only want to make Abortions Illegal.. BUT want to make it illegal to even use BIRTH CONTROL~~ I actually watched an interview of someone who espoused such nonsense!! Life is @ conception.. LOL Life as a glob of cells is LIFE!!??? So is a spore that lands on a host and mould grows.. ..That is not HUMAN LIFE!! Deranged philosophy, OUT of the realm of Medical/Scientific definitions doesn't seem to matter to such folks!!

Extreme views often surface when they get the platform..and given Trump..I wouldn't count on him intervening on the behalf of the poor/underserved/vulnerable and Yep~~ HC services too .. Grow economy ( for his personal gain/pockets) play chicken with Countries/Pac's/Treaties/ Corporations ( who are actually smirking right now)...

BS with his ( and his Talking Heads) hyperbole .. BUT bottomline.. has already lost credibility with fiasco roll outs of EO's!! He cannot run America's Government like he did with Trump INC.. He NOW has RULES with Checks and Balances!! After 10 days he's already blown his approval rating ... DISapproval went from 48 to 51 in past week... Congrats Heir Trump.. fastest rise in ratings LOL Net negative !!

Old 01-30-2017, 09:08 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,964,057 times
Quote:
Sure, compare masturbation to a human being, that's a valid argument. A fetus is a human life, it exists, it has potential. That is science. Some people are pro-life based on religion, others are pro-life based on science and because they place value on life and potential. It is easy to dismiss the validity of the pro-life argument by saying it is religious only and then throwing in a good masturbation story to prove your point, but that only proves that you are unwilling to accept the reality of science and the reality that abortion is about ending a human life and denying that life its potential.
Did you bother to read my other post and the post to which I was replying? We were discussing when life begins. However, if you really believe a human life begins at conception and that fertilization is the same as a fetus, then we disagree.

Do you believe in fertilization by other means, i.e, in vitro? If you do, are thousands of babies being frozen and kept in Petri dishes? What happens to them when they're not used? Is that murder? I mean, you cannot have it both ways, since fertility clinics destroy embryos all the time.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
... And what IS that reason?
For one thing, the various means of birth control is taught in high school. Such info comes in handy when later in life students get married but don't soon want a baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies