Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 01:10 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,660,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Okay, affluent minority, whatever you are.

I watched some of the interviews with Bannon and read some of the articles in Breitbart News. Some the articles there are pretty extreme, but many articles are good.

Bannon said he is a nationalist. He also said, “A country is more than an economy. We’re a civic society.”
Not sure he will be pitting people against each other. But I believe that good people will always be good people. For example, the poor whites I know, well, many of them just want a stable union job. They don't look at the rich minorities and feel jealousy. People don't change their characters all of sudden.

I think you worry too much.
1--people don'e change their characters all of a sudden---
So true--which means Trump didn't either--and he is still self-centered and interested in what is good for Trump over the rest of the country...
2--Bannon also said he was a Leninist too--
3--the idea that Republicans are going to support union jobs is belied by decades of GOP history--
The only Republican who supported labor unions was probably Teddy Roosevelt who was really a Populist, not a true Republican...
Republicans have done NOTHING to help unions and in fact the proposed Labor Sec refuses to support an increased minimum wage...
So the "poor whites" you know who want a stable Union job voted for the wrong guy--not because he didn't promise that--but because he is in a party that hates orgazined labor...

Old 01-31-2017, 01:15 PM

20,622 posts, read 19,277,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I'm not Asian and I'm not picking on every poor white.

But we must point out the dangers of pitting people against each other-I fear Steve Bannon has that aim.
Bannon would be a moron then. No power in history divided people successfully by trying to make it culturally homogeneous. Every power did so by introducing foreign confederates. Caesar used Gauls . The Abbasids used Turks(only to be ruled by them later silly Arabs, oops), The Byzantines Christianized the Slavs . Now in the vassal states the powers would typically arouse fighting in existing actions like the Mennonites vs the Druze at the instigation of the Ottomans. Stalin took it to a new level. Stalin loved multiculturalism. That is what led to say the Korya-saram ,aka Koreans in the middle of Russia. Meet your new neighbors....He had them all fighting each other.

So why is it that I see the Democrats being consistent with divide and rule?

Old 01-31-2017, 01:31 PM

34,914 posts, read 31,045,458 times
Most of you people have things so backwards that it's hard to even know where to begin.

Truly poor whites, as well as poor people in general, vote at lower rates than incomes above them. I live in Appalachia and grew up working class with many poor classmates. Yes, many whine and complain, and now they brag and boast about the job Trump is doing. But how many of them actually got out and voted for him? Probably proportionally fewer than you'd be led to believe.

What put Trump over the top were working to upper middle class whites in mostly white, historically Democratic areas of the Midwest and Pennsylvania that had voted for Democrats for a generation. Huge swings in some of these rural counties were enough to override increasing Democrat participation in urban areas.

The people in these communities who voted for Trump, many of whom are not doing that badly, don't give a damn about how many Asian CEOs there are or some Asian kid working his tail off for success. But what we do care about are H-1Bs being sponsored for jobs for which there are sufficient qualified and native born Americans willing and able to fill the roles.

Bannon's platform gives a voice to these frustrations. There are real, substantive problems that need to be addressed, that the Democrats and many Republicans gloss over as simple racism in order to avoid upending their status quo.

If we can get some sensible order going on, I'm all for President Bannon.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:35 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,243,451 times
Quote:
Clarity might come slowly but eventually it comes.

Bannon has already said that Silicon Valley has too many Asian CEOs and now this further advances what appears to be his racially motivated and xenophobic agenda.

http://www.vox.com/2017/1/29/1442998...r-steve-bannon

As a person of color whose parents immigrated here in the 1960s penniless but determined. They worked hard to became very successful business owners, I am totally insulted by the fact that people like my parents who have been nothing but contributors could be hated because they arent white, but now I know where we stand with this administration.

#goodtoknow
Vox is an extreme left-wing site and has been caught in many lies. It should be considered nothing more than propaganda.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:37 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,243,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Vox, what a wonderful, and credible source you have there. LoL

Did Bannon inspire Obama to do the same thing?

Trump just did what Obama did.

You lost, get over it.
Isn't it funny how they continue to ignore the fact that Obama did the same thing and in fact, the "list" of nations mentioned is Obama's list. But they loved Obama, so it was okay when he did it.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:53 PM

8,479 posts, read 3,302,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Bannon would be a moron then. No power in history divided people successfully by trying to make it culturally homogeneous. Every power did so by introducing foreign confederates. Caesar used Gauls . The Abbasids used Turks(only to be ruled by them later silly Arabs, oops), The Byzantines Christianized the Slavs . Now in the vassal states the powers would typically arouse fighting in existing actions like the Mennonites vs the Druze at the instigation of the Ottomans. Stalin took it to a new level. Stalin loved multiculturalism. That is what led to say the Korya-saram ,aka Koreans in the middle of Russia. Meet your new neighbors....He had them all fighting each other.

So why is it that I see the Democrats being consistent with divide and rule?
Fascinating issue. No question that your argument has merit for if only due to the neurobiological, man is programmed to distrust the "other." Even so during periods of historical calm, communities of different ethnicities have lived with relative peace if not perfect understanding. Witness the intermixture of ethnicities in many areas of pre-WW2 Europe. Poland, for example, was less than 50 percent Pole in 1938 for it contained substantial numbers of Germans, Ukrainians, Jews, Serbs and more.

Granted the European model differed somewhat from our traditional American melting pot in that the communities were in many cases *separate* retaining their distinctive cultural characteristics. I believe this is what Angela Merkel addressed in her comment that multiculturalism did not work. My take is that the Germans (and Dutch, too, certainly) themselves so self-identified as German that they assumed newcomers would prefer to maintain a separate sense of identity. That did not work well - at least under the current conditions - as acknowledged by Merkel.

But to move on to OP's point - certainly it is possible to divide a seemingly homogenous people if only by appealing to our innate fear of the different. Please understand that here I am NOT at all saying that those who respond in some fashion to this appeal are "racist" or some other PC epithet. That's a strawman argument - not the point at all. As mentioned above, our common evolutionary heritage tends to reinforce fear of the different - and depending on the current societal stressors this may be manifested in various ways (although may differ according to the individual). With this I believe you would agree (although I may be wrong.)

How and why America may be divided is another topic, perhaps for another day. It is, though, what Bannon seems to perfectly understand. In brief, though, he is appealing to our innate desire for the homogenous exploiting a fissure found in America since the Founding that has little to do with ethnicity or race.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:55 PM

778 posts, read 337,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Vox, what a wonderful, and credible source you have there. LoL

Did Bannon inspire Obama to do the same thing?

Trump just did what Obama did.

You lost, get over it.

Voxsplaining is not what anyone wants or needs.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:30 PM

36,641 posts, read 67,296,237 times
This isnt what the United States is all about.

From Vanity Fair:
Steve Bannon, who previously served as executive chairman of Breitbart News, has suggested in conversation with Trump that Silicon Valley has too many Asian C.E.O.s and that international students in the U.S. should go back to where they came from.

Trump

Old 01-31-2017, 05:19 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,592,786 times
Quote:
This isnt what the United States is all about.

From Vanity Fair:
Steve Bannon, who previously served as executive chairman of Breitbart News, has suggested in conversation with Trump that Silicon Valley has too many Asian C.E.O.s and that international students in the U.S. should go back to where they came from.

Trump

Why doesn't he just go full wingnut and suggest all non-native peoples "go back to where they came from"?

Old 02-02-2017, 12:10 AM

36,641 posts, read 67,296,237 times
It's a shame that nowadays, we really need to keep this sort of thing in the back of our minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Intercept
THE FBI HAS QUIETLY INVESTIGATED WHITE SUPREMACIST INFILTRATION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT
Alice Speri
January 31 2017, 4:10 a.m.

WHITE SUPREMACISTS AND other domestic extremists maintain an active presence in U.S. police departments and other law enforcement agencies. A striking reference to that conclusion, notable for its confidence and the policy prescriptions that accompany it, appears in a classified FBI Counterterrorism Policy Guide from April 2015, obtained by The Intercept...

...The memo also states that law enforcement had recently become aware of the term “ghost skins,” used among white supremacists to describe “those who avoid overt displays of their beliefs to blend into society and covertly advance white supremacist causes.” In at least one case, the FBI learned of a skinhead group encouraging ghost skins to seek employment with law enforcement agencies in order to warn crews of any investigations...
https://theintercept.com/2017/01/31/...w-enforcement/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies