Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 09:03 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times

Advertisements

Yeah, let women wear hijabs to show solidarity with Muslim nations. The hijab is a symbol of oppression. Do these fools not know that?!?! That's like black people wearing chains as a fashion statement. Or Jews wearing a star.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 09:06 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
But not inaudible, I'm sure!
And he has pens! LOTS of pens! And a phone! The BEST phone! LOL

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I just saw Rogue One, and noted, as I have in previous Star Wars movies, how many characters wear hoods/cloaks of some kind, and how attractive that can be. Given the popularity of these movies, I've always been somewhat surprised that head coverings and cloaks haven't been more of a "thing" in the last 30 years.

A hijab is a head scarf, and head scarves and turbans were pretty popular in the 50s.

Burkas are not appealing at all, but the head/face semi-sheer veiling that is common in India (which is what Clinton is wearing in the photo) is appealing. You can find old photos of such movie stars as Liz Taylor and Marilyn Monroe wearing scarves in exactly that fashion.

Where I grew up in SoCal, we commonly wore head scarves in cooler and windy weather. And some wore them just to look like Liz and Marilyn.
When Pope Francis came to the WTC last year, we could see him out the window and then when he went down into the Memorial Museum, we watched him on the NY1 channel.

A Muslim woman, a Hindu woman and I (Christian) were watching. He had people of different religions with him, and the Muslim woman said, "See, everyone has their hat, or the way they dress, or their accessories pertaining to their religion, but this Pope is saying let's look at what we share in common, and that's why he's a rock star."

You're right, those identifiers show up in artistic and cultural references, too.

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
No.

I like baseball cap, beanie, and fedora.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:07 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
Funny this thread came up.....
The other night I was listening to a talk show and a Muslim called into the show...the discussion happened to be about a woman who was a prison guard, and upon her hire, she was told she was not allowed to wear any jewerly or head scarf. She was a Muslim woman.

After she was hired, she continued to wear it, saying it was for religious beliefs, which I always thought was their law?

Well, the Muslim man who phoned in has been living in America for a long time, and he said, it isn't about any religious belief...that his mother has not worn one for many many years....and I found that interesting...

so long story short, this Muslim woman that I speak of, is suing the prison...

they tried to explain to her that any prisoner could use it as a weapon to hang her or themselves...but she wouldn't have it. The Muslim man who phoned in said, this was just a way to turn our laws on us, and sue...for the money....

Old 01-31-2017, 09:08 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
A garment is not owned by any religion or community. Wear scarf, grow a beard, become vegan.....who cares. Be a good person & thats it. So tired of these religion politics. Escaped my third world country to get away from this type of backward radical thinking but it follows me here. Getting emotional about religion represents collective ignorance of the left. We should be focusing on science, technology, education & not get played by media. Cant remember the last time I heard news about something I really care about like technology. Even entertainment websites like buzzfeed & award shows are politicizing everything. We are so ignorant & backward.
Please. The right - specifically the Republican right - is far more emotional about religion, particularly the religious right. For anyone to infer that the left is generally this way at all is completely disengenous.

Republicans generally do not support separation of church and state, particularly as it pertains to Christianity. They constantly attempt to mix the two and legislate certain beliefs held by many Christians.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:10 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
If I could wear this every day to work, I totally would.

I bought one when I was in Dubai. It's about as comfortable as you can be, especially when it's hot.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:12 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
With the Muslim worship of the left I could see this happening .
Leftists women wearing hijabs to "stand in solitarily" maybe they are already doing it ?
Maybe the men will do it too , the same way they been wearing the pink little pussyhats.

Once it's on social media all the lemming leftists will start doing it .
So you want to dictate how and what should people wear as per your your wishes?

Dude, it's a free country. Let people live the way they want to live in their private life.

http://i68.tinypic.com/rw5ksp.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I think Tramp needs to wear one to keep his comb-over from floating away.
Yeah.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-31-2017 at 10:32 AM..

Old 01-31-2017, 09:19 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
With the Muslim worship of the left I could see this happening .
Leftists women wearing hijabs to "stand in solitarily" maybe they are already doing it ?
Maybe the men will do it too , the same way they been wearing the pink little pussyhats.

Once it's on social media all the lemming leftists will start doing it .
Ironically I think evangelicals and conservative Christians should be happy if this were to happen. Their own Bible commands them to cover their hair.

"For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head." Corinthians 11:16

In the modern context a lot of Christians have abandoned this practice, nuns keep it up as well as some orthodox Christians. And oh...who is this person below that used to cover her hair, just curious???

http://www.theworkofgod.org/Images/OurLady.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-31-2017 at 10:32 AM..

Old 01-31-2017, 09:25 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
And oh...who is this person below that used to cover her hair, just curious???
Some Jewish broad who got knocked up and blamed it on an invisible sky friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies