Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 09:26 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Ironically I think evangelicals and conservative Christians should be happy if this were to happen. Their own Bible commands them to cover their hair.

"For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head." Corinthians 11:16

In the modern context a lot of Christians have abandoned this practice, nuns keep it up as well as some orthodox Christians. And oh...who is this person below that used to cover her hair, just curious???

It's a free country. Religious costumes are allowed because we are better than the places where religious costumes originated.

But, 7th century customs like hijab and burka should NEVER be "normalized" or "celebrated." It is what it is - religiously prescribed misogyny worming its way into the 21st century.

We don't celebrate or normalize prairie skirts and FLDS braided hairstyles. Nor do we cream ourselves over Hassidic ladies and their wigs.

You want to advertise to the world that you're a subservient and second class citizen? Go for it. But recognize that for hundreds of millions of people around the world, that bag on your head is a symbol of oppression and struggle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 09:26 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I kind of would like the hijab to go mainstream fashion. Frankly, I've often looked at the Muslim women in the office and thought how nice it would be to not worry about your hair...just tie a pretty scarf around your head and go about your day!

Now where I work the women wear wigs to cover their hair for religious reasons. Everybody looks as if they have perfect hair. But that's a lot more expensive.
I rather see wigs!

Old 01-31-2017, 09:27 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Ironically I think evangelicals and conservative Christians should be happy if this were to happen. Their own Bible commands them to cover their hair.

"For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head." Corinthians 11:16

In the modern context a lot of Christians have abandoned this practice, nuns keep it up as well as some orthodox Christians. And oh...who is this person below that used to cover her hair, just curious???
What is the reason for you to bring up evangelicals and conservative Christians? As a Christian girl, I can care less what Muslims women wear.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:29 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:

Now she looks pretty.

Anyone who grew up before John XXIII remembers nun's habits. Which were not especially pretty, except when worn by Audrey Hepburn

Old 01-31-2017, 09:31 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
It's a free country. Religious costumes are allowed because we are better than the places where religious costumes originated.

But, 7th century customs like hijab and burka should NEVER be "normalized" or "celebrated." It is what it is - religiously prescribed misogyny worming its way into the 21st century.

We don't celebrate or normalize prairie skirts and FLDS braided hairstyles. Nor do we cream ourselves over Hassidic ladies and their wigs.

You want to advertise to the world that you're a subservient and second class citizen? Go for it. But recognize that for hundreds of millions of people around the world, that bag on your head is a symbol of oppression and struggle.
Hmm...so if modesty is considered being subservient and second class, are the men of the religions you quoted also subservient and second class? They have strict dress codes as well you know?

On the contrary I think the wearing of clothes and modesty brings us closer to a human ideal...one in which we have a society that doesn't judge women or men on their cleavage, pecs or abs and instead on their character and moral hygiene.

Just a thought...

Old 01-31-2017, 09:33 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
If I could wear this every day to work, I totally would.

I bought one when I was in Dubai. It's about as comfortable as you can be, especially when it's hot.

One of my coworkers went to Iraq in the mid-00s for a year to work on fixing up the port in the southern part of the country. When he came back, he did a presentation on what it was like living there, and he wore something like that.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:33 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
What is the reason for you to bring up evangelicals and conservative Christians? As a Christian girl, I can care less what Muslims women wear.
To exhibit that modest dress and the covering of hair is not simply "a Muslim thing" as the OP is trying to describe.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:35 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Relax.

We're just pointing out that a head covering is not necessarily a sign of being muslim nor of being religiously oppressed.

As an atheist "girl", I couldn't care less what any woman wears on her head. Or on the rest of her body. Although I do reserve the right to think to myself "honey, that's not a really great look for you".

Old 01-31-2017, 09:38 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:

Christian women did. Look at a deck of playing cards, at the queens. And nuns wear what was the peasant dress of a typical woman in the Middle Ages, although some have abandoned the habit to wear the ordinary clothing of modern women.

It was a middle eastern thing, not a Muslim or Jewish or Christian thing, although Orthodox Muslims and Jews still adhere to women covering their heads. Some Orthodox Christians did, too, until recently. Did you not see the grandmother in My Big Fat Greek Wedding?

Old 01-31-2017, 09:38 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
[quote=PDXNative2Houston;47025924

On the contrary I think the wearing of clothes and modesty brings us closer to a human ideal...one in which we have a society that doesn't judge women or men on their cleavage, pecs or abs and instead on their character and moral hygiene.

Just a thought...[/QUOTE]

I don't think other people's fashion choices is what bring humans together or closer.
It is mutual respect.

On a larger scale, some countries are more conservative / liberal than the others, this doesn't make them backward, and if you visit them, you should act according to their social norms, because this is what keeps stability and shows respect.

I don't need to tell a Muslim what she should be wearing. Same goes, she doesn't need to tell me "modesty" is what I need. Live and let live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies