Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 03:17 PM

772 posts, read 390,534 times

Advertisements

So what's the problem then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 03:20 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
I'm a pretty liberal guy, but I can't wrap my head around this whole transgender/gender identity thing. I guess I'm starting to show my age. Gay marriage I guess was my generation (millennial), but it's going to be whatever generation that comes after Millenials I think that will have to take up the fight for this whole gender identity stuff, because I don't care for it.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:39 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I'm a pretty liberal guy, but I can't wrap my head around this whole transgender/gender identity thing. I guess I'm starting to show my age. Gay marriage I guess was my generation (millennial), but it's going to be whatever generation that comes after Millenials I think that will have to take up the fight for this whole gender identity stuff, because I don't care for it.

If it makes you feel any better many gays and lesbians aren't thrilled with/do not like trans either. Lesbian groups fought for years to keep them out of their spaces as trans tended to suck the air out of the room. Gays often wanted little or nothing to do with someone who by definition is mentally ill (something they fought successfully to remove homosexuality from), and quickly point out they have no problems with being who they are, and aren't seeking to change gender.

My guess is that trans saw what was happening with Obama and the push for gay equality and this time were determined not to be treated like the red headed step-child at a family BBQ. Soon after the issue of SSM was settled, attention in many liberal/left circles moved to the trans issue.

The New York Times for instance since about 2008/the whole marriage equality issue came about was like reading an issue of the Advocate. They inserted gays into every single thing possible and or had extensive coverage of same. Once DOMA was overturned they switched to trans issues.

Problem is while many are willing to accept and or at least give gays a pass; there is still a large segment of Americans who consider the whole trans think creepy at best and "sick" at worst. The idea that a man or boy that is not enough of one, and too much of the other can enter formally intimate female spaces (locker and bath rooms, etc....) and or otherwise consider themselves "female" simply because that is what makes them happy just doesn't sit well.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:16 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If it makes you feel any better many gays and lesbians aren't thrilled with/do not like trans either. Lesbian groups fought for years to keep them out of their spaces as trans tended to suck the air out of the room. Gays often wanted little or nothing to do with someone who by definition is mentally ill (something they fought successfully to remove homosexuality from), and quickly point out they have no problems with being who they are, and aren't seeking to change gender.

My guess is that trans saw what was happening with Obama and the push for gay equality and this time were determined not to be treated like the red headed step-child at a family BBQ. Soon after the issue of SSM was settled, attention in many liberal/left circles moved to the trans issue.

The New York Times for instance since about 2008/the whole marriage equality issue came about was like reading an issue of the Advocate. They inserted gays into every single thing possible and or had extensive coverage of same. Once DOMA was overturned they switched to trans issues.

Problem is while many are willing to accept and or at least give gays a pass; there is still a large segment of Americans who consider the whole trans think creepy at best and "sick" at worst. The idea that a man or boy that is not enough of one, and too much of the other can enter formally intimate female spaces (locker and bath rooms, etc....) and or otherwise consider themselves "female" simply because that is what makes them happy just doesn't sit well.
What really gets me is the ones that are male, but identify as a woman, but are still attracted to women, and vice versa. So they're like...wannabe lesbians/gays? I just don't get it. Is there something in the water?

But as far as the bathroom bills. They seem like a waste of legislative effort. I don't analyze folks that come in the bathroom, much less have any intention of inquiring about their birth gender. As far as locker rooms, kids of their physical gender should just suck it up, or change in a bathroom stall or something. It's just a couple years of middle school to highschool.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:33 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This is a follow up on a previous story about a girl who was kicked out of the boy scouts when parents complained. The eight year old claimed to be transgendered. Now, the boy scouts have announced that they will accept transgendered kids:

Boy Scouts Will Admit Transgender Boys : The Two-Way : NPR

I actually don't care if the kid joins or not. But why not just call it "all scouts" and let both girls and boys join? In this case, it seems silly to let in gay scouts, boys, and girls who want to be boys, but still reject girls who want to be girls, but also want to be scouts.

*News link to NPR for general information purposes only and may not contain all of the accurate facts.
Because it is the BOY scouts. Girls have the girl scouts, and there is nothing stopping the girl scouts from adopting the same outdoor practices as the boy scouts. Also, keep in mind the Girl Scouts probably bring in a lot more revenue than the Boy Scouts could ever bring in considering the money raised selling girl scout cookies.

Look at all the boys who don't have male role models in the home, with no father to look up to. For many years now, our feminist society doesn't value men/fathers who remain in the home living under the same roof. Can't boys have their own club where they can go on hikes, go fishing and go camping together and bond in a way only boys can relate? Why should the comfort of less than .1% of the population be more important than the other 99.9%? What about those boys who don't want to change their clothes in tents, and sleep with a girl who is delusional about her gender? I remember the scout masters used to make sure we changed our clothes entirely before bed, otherwise we would perspire during the night and freeze, this was always the tradition. It really is kind of amazing when considering the amount of power trans people have commanded these days in such a short time. Consider there are still 37 states that openly discriminate against homosexuals in employment, housing and credit, and homosexuals really don't infringe on anyone, yet the trans people want to push their agenda much further and invade the space of others, specifically where they are most vulnerable: in restrooms and locker rooms and anything specific to gender.

The message of the trans person, in this case, specifically the female who decides she is really a male is clear. Not only can I have my equality under today's laws, but now I can actually be a male as well.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:35 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
This is a follow up on a previous story about a girl who was kicked out of the boy scouts when parents complained. The eight year old claimed to be transgendered. Now, the boy scouts have announced that they will accept transgendered kids:

I actually don't care if the kid joins or not. But why not just call it "all scouts" and let both girls and boys join? In this case, it seems silly to let in gay scouts, boys, and girls who want to be boys, but still reject girls who want to be girls, but also want to be scouts.

*News link to NPR for general information purposes only and may not contain all of the accurate facts.
Because it's the BOY SCOUTS, and the foundations are rooted in Christianity.

Basically if you have a penis, you are a boy. It's really not that hard to understand.

Of course I wouldn't have minded a girl hanging out in the showers with us when I was in the boy scouts.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:05 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:

I'm surprised by this. But I'm older. The world is changing. I don't think young people have the issues with these things that we older people do.

I would worry about the girl, though, since she is still biologically female, no matter how she identifies. Depends on the ages of the boys.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:08 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
All I can say is that the older bigots are slowly dying off.....

Old 02-01-2017, 08:27 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'm surprised by this. But I'm older. The world is changing. I don't think young people have the issues with these things that we older people do.

I would worry about the girl, though, since she is still biologically female, no matter how she identifies. Depends on the ages of the boys.
True. One poster suggested that she might get "raped out" of the boy scouts.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:49 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
This is a follow up on a previous story about a girl who was kicked out of the boy scouts when parents complained. The eight year old claimed to be transgendered.
Yeah, right, an 8 year old can barely think concretely. Fortunately, I can vote with my wallet so I don't have to support the Scouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies