Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:28 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
my aunt attempted suicide several times and hospitalized dozens of time in psychiatric units. She wasnt fighting to be a man but she was diagnosed as: clinically depressed, bi-polar, OCD, MPD, and BPD.

Mental illness is very hard to consistently diagnose and is usually at the whim of a biased psychologist.
My family member was diagnosed by a psychiatrist, not a psychologist. And it was an ongoing thing. It wasn't one session and boom, get the hormones and surgery. It was regular sessions for about three years before the transition even began
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 01:31 PM

1,160 posts, read 712,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
interesting study that used brains of prematurely deceased.

This is the basis for an interesting hypothesis - it will probably be awhile before it can be peer reviewed and replicated.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:31 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
My family member was diagnosed by a psychiatrist, not a psychologist. And it was an ongoing thing. It wasn't one session and boom, get the hormones and surgery. It was regular sessions for about three years before the transition even began
I had to wait four for my referral to an endocrinologist lol *cries*

In my Psychiatrist's defense though, I was her first trans patient, and she wanted to be sure it was gender dysphoria and not something else.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:33 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:

In my Psychiatrist's defense though, I was her first trans patient, and she wanted to be sure it was gender dysphoria and not something else.
Since sexual reassignment surgery is such a big change and does a lot to the body, medical professionals really try to make sure they are right before going through with the diagnosis and treatment

Old 02-09-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:

here's a question for you - the study you posted pointed to a decreased level of somatostatin neurons in male-to-female trans patients. If by some miracle of science they could increase your neuron level to that of a "healthy male" and it would resolve your gender / genital dysphoria, would you do it?

Old 02-09-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
interesting study that used brains of prematurely deceased.

This is the basis for an interesting hypothesis - it will probably be awhile before it can be peer reviewed and replicated.

Yes, the wheels of scientific discovery move slowly sometimes but she always gets there.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
here's a question for you - the study you posted pointed to a decreased level of somatostatin neurons in male-to-female trans patients. If by some miracle of science they could increase your neuron level to that of a "healthy male" and it would resolve your gender / genital dysphoria, would you do it?

No. Because it would likely irreparably change who I am. The entirety of my life experiences have made me who I am today, and despite all of the pain I've lived through, I wouldn't change anything. I am who I am.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:45 PM

Please don't feel compelled to, Domitian, but if you read this, it might help you understand this better. Take a trip through life through a trans person's eyes. //www.city-data.com/blogs/blog41755-my-story.html

Old 02-09-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
No. Because it would likely irreparably change who I am. The entirety of my life experiences have made me who I am today, and despite all of the pain I've lived through, I wouldn't change anything. I am who I am.
and i wouldnt expect you to just as I - if given a "trans shot" () wouldnt all of a sudden want to wear yoga pants and a sports bra ...

Although I do believe trans and GID to be a psychological disorder I still have compassion. What i dont agree with the activist crowd demanding "normal" society bend to meet the needs of every "identity" that pops up

Old 02-09-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
and i wouldnt expect you to just as I - if given a "trans shot" () wouldnt all of a sudden want to wear yoga pants and a sports bra ...
HAHA...I don't blame you. This isn't something you'd want unless you were a few bubbles off plumb. It's just a part of life for some of us. Saying that it's massively uncomfortable is a gross understatement. Life is a little less sucky being on the correct hormones, but it's still uncomfortable in more ways I can list.

Quote:
Although I do believe trans and GID to be a psychological disorder I still have compassion. What i dont agree with the activist crowd demanding "normal" society bend to meet the needs of every "identity" that pops up
Here we differ. I understand that my presence in certain spaces, if known that I was trans, could make people uncomfortable. But really all that I want is to blend in to broader society and live as normal life as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies