Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 09:12 AM

15,958 posts, read 7,021,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Oh come on. You can't be serious. You haven't seen these demands in the news? These leftist women want free abortions, free pregnancy care, free maternity leave, free child care, free mammograms, free birth control, and now free tampons.
Pregnancy and abortion, mammograms are women's healthcare just as men have their own healthcare issues. Maternity leave is an employment benefits and men and women are equally entitles. they EARN it there is nothing free about it. As is child care. If you are poor and a single mother you cannot work and also be home to care for your child. They have only one body, just like you.
These are all legitimate issues that should concern all of us. Get smart, read, educate yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 09:12 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Yeah, I'm Republican and pro choice also.
What can Republicans with your point of view do to change this conservative push to outlaw safe and legal abortion? Castigating old ladies in pink hats marching for women's rights doesn't seem to make sense.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:15 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Oh come on. You can't be serious. You haven't seen these demands in the news? These leftist women want free abortions, free pregnancy care, free maternity leave, free child care, free mammograms, free birth control, and now free tampons.
I believe the difference is who pays for what. You have all the freedom you want, just don't make government pay for it.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:16 AM

15,958 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I dunno. That part of the Republican platform doesn't interest me very much. I know how I stand and I know that repealing Roe vs Wade will only mean that the issue will be decided by each state. And I think that's where it ought to be.

The big thing to me is not becoming a Democrat. I just don't like what they do, and really don't like their leadership (Pelosi, Schumer).
Giving state autonomy over control over women's bodies does not concern you? But BIG Government does? You believe in deregualtions for corporations but women having control over their reproduction means nothing?. I am not surprised you are Republican.

What is it about Democrats that you do not like other than politicians who are elected? I mean policy wise not personalities.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:17 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,480,798 times
I am independent, but I tend to lean right and vote Republican most of the time. I am against abortion as birth control, however, I don't think making it illegal will really solve anything. Women will still get abortions, only they will be illegal and possibly unsafe. And there are some women who will need abortions for various medical reasons and other reasons. I suppose I am anti-abortion but still pro-choice.

I think the key to ending abortions is similar to the way we've started to end smoking in this country, make it socially unacceptable make it the thing people choose not to do. I've pondered this in my head for a while, "how" to do that. It would involve more social programs (and therefore tax dollars). My church has programs to help what is calls crisis pregnancies (offer shelter, medical help, and adoption services). I wonder if a larger program would be worth it to tax payers--someone would have to do a very thorough cost analysis.

Is it cheaper to provide cheap birth control, counseling, sex education, and if needed adoption placement help than it is to not provide these things but then end up with more mothers on welfare, poverty, and the costs associated with a higher crime rate? (On the crime rate thing, it's a hypothesis. There seems to be a connection between a higher crime rate when legal abortion is not available. I think the idea is more people growing up in poverty and more likely to turn to crime because of it).

It's not a simple answer to be sure, but what I do know is making abortion illegal won't stop it and it won't save anyone's life (mother or unborn). Women still get abortions when it's illegal. Like prohibition, it solves nothing. And Pro-life has gotten nowhere in 40+ years. Maybe it's time to take a different approach if the same old thing isn't working. Put more effort into prevention and social change so that abortions happen less and less until it dies off by choice (like what is happening to smoking).

Old 02-01-2017, 09:17 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
The arguments against abortion have nothing to do with religion.

You don't have to be religious to think killing unborn children is wrong.
Americans don't think killing is wrong. Who are you trying to kid?

We send snipers and drones out to kill people all the time.

We are fine with any nut and his Uncle Ned wandering around with guns and assault rifles that they use to kill random folks, ex-wives, and students in their school rooms.

Alabama just executed a couple folks.

Republicans are fine with eliminating ACA, which we all know will result in deaths for a certain number of our neighbors.

What about caring for these precious darlings? Any Republicans insisting we allocate funds to ensure that all these unwanted babies are well cared for? And don't give me that adoption B.S. 400,000+ kids are in foster care right now. Thousands will age out every year without a family who has their back. These kids have a high risk of suicide.

So get off your hypocritical high horse about killing children. We're perfectly fine with that.

This is government pushing its nose into private matters. I would think Republicans would be opposed.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 02-01-2017 at 09:35 AM..

Old 02-01-2017, 09:26 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Post is a miss.

I'm a Republican. And pro choice.
That's great that you are pro choice. However, the thread is not a miss. It is the Republican party that keeps attacking abortion. I have no doubt that some, or maybe even most, Republicans are pro choice. However, it is your party that will not let Roe v. Wade alone. When was the last time members of the Democrat party challenged its constitutionality?

This thread concerns the Republican party, not any individual person.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:33 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
Abortions In My Opinion should happen only under very strict circumstances. It should be banned among Teenagers. People who want a Abortion 'just or the heck of it' Should not be granted one unless their lie is seriously in danger.
My 13 year old daughter, has a classmate that is pregnant. You really think it is smart for 13 year olds to give birth?

Old 02-01-2017, 09:37 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
My 13 year old daughter, has a classmate that is pregnant. You really think it is smart for 13 year olds to give birth?
What a heart breaking situation.

Government has no place in the decision of whether or not to continue her pregnancy.

What's with the "small government" Republicans and their penchant for getting involved in private matters?

Old 02-01-2017, 09:42 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
If this country were like Paraguay, where all abortion is illegal, that 13 year old would be forced to carry to term. That is what users like tipsywicket want. The hardcore pro-lifers care more about the fetus than the woman carrying it, so they talk about not forcing our will on the fetus, but to do so IS TO FORCE our will on the woman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies