Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 12:55 PM

36,533 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Could be for many reasons. Grandparnets becoming unable to care for the child. Income reasons and so on.
I wouldn't give a rats hairy behind. I would be crazy leaving my infant in another country and for 12 years. Why dont they report on why this child was not reunited with her parent in those 12 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
They would have asked all those questions processing the child's visa.

The child has her visa, it's only revoked because of the EO.
So why don't they share that info. Why did they wait all that time to get a visa? Would you just go back to another country and leave your newborn? Why so hysterical now after 12 years?

Old 02-01-2017, 12:57 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And, the laws allows for us to deny entry to any visa holder.

If you disagree, please cite the law stating they must be allowed entry if they have a visa.

You're the one who wanted to talk about how the law works.
If the young lady had immigrant status which is likely it would be illegal to refuse entree.

The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 banned all discrimination against immigrants on the basis of national origin, replacing the old prejudicial system and giving each country an equal shot at the quotas.
If she is not an immigrant, which is unlikely, then you would be correct. They will generally never allow a kid with citizen family into the US without immigrant status as they are aware it will be very difficult to get her out again.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:00 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Obviously if word went out that he was doing the temporary travel restrictions, there would be panic and tons of people would rush to get to the US. I thought it was the smart thing to do.

A inconvenience for some? Yes. They'll get over it. A country can do what it wants with immigration is not obligated to bend the rules for the rest of the worlds scrutiny .
No, the smart thing to do would have been to halt processing NEW visas while they overhaul the process.

Visas that are not Permanent Resident visas are temporary anyway, and the holders from those countries have already been vetted. They could also have instituted more thorough screening at the border as a safeguard.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:01 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I wouldn't give a rats hairy behind. I would be crazy leaving my infant in another country and for 12 years. Why dont they report on why this child was not reunited with her parent in those 12 years.

So why don't they share that info. Why did they wait all that time to get a visa? Would you just go back to another country and leave your newborn? Why so hysterical now after 12 years?
Why are you asking me?

Old 02-01-2017, 01:02 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I understand that the process can take a very long time, but as a parent, it does matter to me that he waited seven years to start a petition for her - to even BEGIN the process. I agree that this policy was executed extremely poorly, but given the headline/title for the thread, there's a lot of pull-on-the-heartstrings, don't-you-feel-bad expected. It's not really working in this particular case.
He was not yet a citizen. They appear to have been permanent residents who returned to Yemen for a family problem. The wife then had a child. They then came back to the US and eventually became citizens whereupon they filed to get the last kid in.

They were simply dealing with US immigration laws.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:05 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Obviously if word went out that he was doing the temporary travel restrictions, there would be panic and tons of people would rush to get to the US. I thought it was the smart thing to do.

A inconvenience for some? Yes. They'll get over it. A country can do what it wants with immigration is not obligated to bend the rules for the rest of the worlds scrutiny .
But that's a BS reason. That doesn't answer why permanent residents weren't exempt and two, no one can get a visa within such a short notice. There would be no mad dash for the US.

Last, he didn't even have to tell the general public in advance, just have a meeting with top immigration officials in the US before he signed it. That would have prevented a lot of problems.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:06 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
If the young lady had immigrant status which is likely it would be illegal to refuse entree.

The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 banned all discrimination against immigrants on the basis of national origin, replacing the old prejudicial system and giving each country an equal shot at the quotas.
If she is not an immigrant, which is unlikely, then you would be correct. They will generally never allow a kid with citizen family into the US without immigrant status as they are aware it will be very difficult to get her out again.
Two things:
1. Even with an immigrant visa, you are not guaranteed entry. https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...iew/after.html

2. Since it's a temporary ban, it's not going to violate the 1965 act.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:10 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times
Quote:
He was not yet a citizen. They appear to have been permanent residents who returned to Yemen for a family problem. The wife then had a child. They then came back to the US and eventually became citizens whereupon they filed to get the last kid in.

The father is a US citizen. It's in the first paragraph, unless the article is wrong.

There are many reason on how this could have happened. My personal guess is the father was here for work, and became a naturalized citizen over time. Maybe he became a US citizen in 2011, so that is why he waited until then to petition his child. As to why he didn't stay with him family in Yemen, he's probably thinking of the long term and the good it will be for his family to get them US citizens and out of that third world country. Who wouldn't do everything they can to make a better life for their family.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:11 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:

Permanent residents are allowed to file. You don't have to have citizenship.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:11 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
If they waited 11 years, they can wait 90 more days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies