Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the draft be brought back by the Trump Administration?
Definitely yes 4 11.43%
Somewhat likely 4 11.43%
Somewhat unlikely 8 22.86%
Definitely not 19 54.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 03:41 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times

Advertisements

What do you mean by "reinstate"? Men 18-25 are already required to register. https://www.sss.gov

Women aren't - yet. I suspect it's just a matter of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 03:44 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Another thought? well, Modern war is not total war, especially for the great power states. It is limited, with limited use of men and limited objectives. Nixon bombing Cambodia and Laos, Putin in Georgia and Donetsk, Bush is Pakistani Pashtunistan, and Obama in Yemen are the examples of what waging a "modern war" looks like.

Draft? unlikely.
No, China would force us to draft. They would send millions of troops to wherever the battlefield is.

We are talking about a country that marched their soldiers to certain death in Korea to keep the 38th parallel where it is.

They marched until the Americans and Brits ran out of artillery shells and rifle ammo and they still kept coming.

No one wants to fight a war against them because it would take nukes to defeat them and they have those too.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:46 PM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
No, China would force us to draft. They would send millions of troops to wherever the battlefield is.

We are talking about a country that marched their soldiers to certain death in Korea to keep the 38th parallel where it is.

They marched until the Americans and Brits ran out of artillery shells and rifle ammo and they still kept coming.

No one wants to fight a war against them because it would take nukes to defeat them and they have those too.
I doubt the Chinese are interested in a total war. Trade war? perhaps.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:47 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I doubt the Chinese are interested in a total war. Trade war? perhaps.
I will always pray this is the worst case scenario. There's something about that country that scares me and I think at times they might be the death of us. Here we are obsessed with Islamic Terrorism...

Old 02-01-2017, 03:53 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
No, China would force us to draft. They would send millions of troops to wherever the battlefield is. .
Hmm. Nope.

A single nuclear shell can instantly clear a battlefield of Chinese troops, tanks and aircraft. It's why they were developed in the first place.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:55 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If the US does end up in a war with China, as Bannon suggested might happen, will the draft likely be reinstated again just due to the sheer number of people in China to battle with?
No.

Any conflict with China would be limited to air and naval battles.

Quote:
They would send millions of troops to wherever the battlefield is.
Well then they're going to have to walk, because China lacks the sea-lift and air-lift capability to transport troops.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:59 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Hopefully Trump will draft the banking class into a war with ISIS. That way we get rid of two enemies at once.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:01 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Funny you bring this up... the other day I was thinking of punking my "Bernie Bro" son that Trump was going to reinstate the draft! Would that be mean?

In all seriousness, I don't think it was a good idea during Viet Nam, don't think it should be done now. But with Trump, you never know!

Old 02-01-2017, 04:02 PM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
I hope I am right about this. I don't believe China has economic motivation to do so.

I am more afraid of those who have nothing to lose..

The US alone has a larger navy than all other navies combined. China doesn't have much of a blue water navy to speak of (other than submarines). Submarines are not sufficient to launch the largest invasion in history. I think they understand the reality.

Another thought, biological weapons are more dangerous than nuclear weapons. They are easy to produce, have a large area of effect and are very hard to control, a very dreadful combination for a weapon and just what terrorists are looking for.

Nuclear material may be brought, stolen, or acquired in many ways. Nuclear proliferation experts now believe that second-tier networks are pervasive, interconnected, highly effective, and very likely linked to terrorist organizations.

I still believe North Korea and radical islamic terrorist group are more dangerous. They are insurgents or illegitimate combatants in my opinion.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:05 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
No, the draft has only been instituted during Democrat Administrations.

Guess again, Lincoln wasn't a Democrat, neither was Nixon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies