Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 10:31 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,334,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Worth considering what Australia does with asylum seekers. Yep, they stick them in camps in Nauru and Papua New Guinea until they are 'processed' (vetted). What they don't do is let them into Australia first.

From what I can tell from the CNN article, Obama agreed to take some of Australia's asylum seekers and Trump doesn't want to.

My question is .... why should the US take them when Australia, a developed country, doesn't want them? Also, I don't recall anyone complaining about Australia's refugee policy which is a lot tougher than US policy even under Trump.
The issue is not this particular group of refugees; no suggestion that any of them individually are a risk. Rather, Australia like Greece and Italy but UNLIKE the United States is within boating distance of refugee centers. To prevent a flotilla, Australia took a hard-line and refused admittance instead placing boaters in offshore camps to warn off others from making the attempt. ]

Conditions in the camps are NOT good, if only because the countries where they are located are hell*holes. The US in a goodwill gesture to an ally agreed to take a number of the refugees - not many but even this small number doesn't play well politically for Trump (he thinks).

So it's - what's more important. Trump's image or a positive start to his relations with a key US ally. Since the agreement was a deal done by Obama, this did NOT need to blow up. Another day, another fight.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:33 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Then explain why the Australian PM would not deny the reports of what went on during the phone call:

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ettlement-live
"The Guardian" is live right now - Trump has been tweeting, while Turnbull immediately got himself interviewed on Australian radio tonight. Turnbull is oh-so-politely holding Trump's feet to the fire about honoring the deal, while Trump is being - well, Trump.

Fascinating political theatre on both sides.

Just...hope the Final Act is still nowhere near.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:33 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh I don't want the base.

But the Pentagon does. Why would you pick a fight with a long term friend who's always had your back over nothing - especially when you want to rent out one of their rooms?
If/when China gets close to Australia's shores guess who will be giving Trump a call pleading for "help"?

Old 02-01-2017, 10:36 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
"The Guardian" is live right now - both Trump and Turnbull have been tweeting extensively tonight. Turnbull is oh-so-politely holding Trump's feet to the fire about honoring the deal, while Trump is being - well, Trump.

Fascinating political theatre on both sides.

Just...hope the Final Act is still nowhere near.
Just watching this play out makes one want to cringe. Trump is so embarrassing.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:37 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Why can't we believe Turnbull, he said Trump didn't hang up on him. Blame this on Obama. Screw up for 8 years and left Trump with a mess to deal with. I know Obama blamed Bush for many years until recently.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:38 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The issue is not this particular group of refugees; no suggestion that any of them individually are a risk. Rather, Australia like Greece and Italy but UNLIKE the United States is within boating distance of refugee centers. To prevent a flotilla, Australia took a hard-line and refused admittance instead placing boaters in offshore camps to warn off others from making the attempt. ]

Conditions in the camps are NOT good, if only because the countries where they are located are hell*holes. The US in a goodwill gesture to an ally agreed to take a number of the refugees - not many but even this small number doesn't play well politically for Trump (he thinks).

So it's - what's more important. Trump's image or a positive start to his relations with the US. Since the agreement was a done-deal (by Obama), this did NOT need to blow up. Another day, another fight.
According to CNN, many of the Australian refugees are from the seven countries affected by the travel ban. So not exactly next door to Australia.

Now I understand that Australia took a hard line. No doubt if Trump did the same as the Australians, the whole world would be up in arms.

But, if conditions in the camps are "not good" then surely that is Australia's problem and we should be putting pressure on them to fix it. I still don't see why the US should be taking some of their refugees. I have been to Australia, I have cousins in Australia. It is not a poor country. They are just as able to take the refugees as we are.

I don't see that Trump has done anything wrong here (and I am not a Trump supporter). This is getting blown up because he said no to the Aussie prime minister. But maybe he was right to say no.

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Just watching this play out makes one want to cringe. Trump is so embarrassing.

You seem to exaggerate everything, so it's not a surprise.

67 posts, read 51,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I was thinking about this tonight driving home. I think what needs to happen is for his party to let him screw up a lot more times before any action is taken to remove him from office. If they do it now, his followers would be close to mutiny, but, if they wait until he makes so many mistakes that really show how nuts he is, then they can oust him and not have a Trumpee explosion.

He has only been in there 2 weeks, not enough time to really do anything drastic yet. Give him time, give him a lot of rope, and let him put the noose around his own neck. That is the smart way to do it, and by the way he is going, he is speeding up his own demise at a rapid rate. It just has to be handled correctly to minimize the damage.
Thats it.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:41 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So what? Why should the US take some of the refugees that Australia has stuck in camps? Australia is a highly developed country. They aren't poor. Why don't they take them?
"The Australian government is nearing a deal with the United States to clear it's controversial offshore refugee camps, which have faced widespread criticism because of the treatment of asylum seekers who have not been let into Australia because of the nation's tight immigration policy. The deal with the U.S. would allow Central American refugees at U.S.-backed camps in Costa Rica to settle in Australia, and refugees from the Australian camps would be sent to the U.S."
U.S., Australia nearing agreement on deal to swap groups of refugees - UPI.com

Old 02-01-2017, 10:41 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Why can't we believe Turnbull, he said Trump didn't hang up on him. Blame this on Obama. Screw up for 8 years and left Trump with a mess to deal with. I know Obama blamed Bush for many years until recently.
It was a deal where we took some refugees from them and they took some refugees from Central America. It's 25 people per state and of course we would vet them. Trump is not happy unless he gets into a huge argument with someone every hour of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies