Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:39 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times

Advertisements

1. It's not a travel ban, Muslim ban or immigration ban. It's a "pause" so that the government can properly vet the travelers from 7 specific countries. It doesn't target just Muslim, and it doesn't target legal immigrants either.

2. So freaking what if it inconvenienced some people? Travel to US is not a right for non-citizens.

3. Why can't people wait a few days? As a legal immigrant myself, it took me 5 years to become a legal immigrant and I was on the fastest track. It's not uncommon for many immigrants to wait 10 years but some how those people from the 7 countries can't wait for 90 days, when they don't even have a right to come to US to begin with? Give me a freaking break!

Obama's drone attack killed more innocent people, men, women and children and none of the liberals batted an eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 02:42 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
1. It's not a travel ban, Muslim ban or immigration ban. It's a "pause" so that the government can properly vet the travelers from 7 specific countries. It doesn't target just Muslim, and it doesn't target legal immigrants either.

2. So freaking what if it inconvenienced some people? Travel to US is not a right for non-citizens.

3. Why can't people wait a few days? As a legal immigrant myself, it took me 5 years to become a legal immigrant and I was on the fastest track. It's not uncommon for many immigrants to wait 10 years but some how those people from the 7 countries can't wait for 90 days, when they don't even have a right to come to US to begin with? Give me a freaking break!

Considering it completely ignores several countries with a history of known involvement with radical Islamic terrorism, it's a Dog & Pony Show, nothing more.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:47 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:

Obama's drone attack killed more innocent people, men, women and children and none of the liberals batted an eye.
The EO is clearly a political act for his base. It is most certainly a Muslim ban as it applies to a set of countries with large majority Muslim populations. Kind of like saying Jim Crow laws were not against Blacks because there were some Blacks to whom it did not apply.

It was also executed with no skill or planning. A disaster from moment one.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:51 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,351,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Considering it completely ignores several countries with a history of known involvement with radical Islamic terrorism, it's a Dog & Pony Show, nothing more.

Do you know what the problem was between the Comanche and the Texans with regard to a treaty?

The problem was that there was no functional state. Saudi can be coerced and bargained with because they have a state. They can provide Intel. How can you bargain with tribal chaos? Who will vet them? Who can be held accountable?

That is the difference. I do not like Saudi much either. However they do for the most part speak for Saudis and they can provide us information. If their information proves unreliable then we can hold them accountable.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:51 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,207,356 times
Quote:

The pause is a good idea. Imagine if one of Trumps security advisors put the fear into him at the daily briefing about an imminent threat from one of the 7 countries? Trump seen by many as a racist xenophobe may have just prevented an attack on our soil by pausing travel from those dangerous countries. We will never know but I can see him asking the advisor about the percentage of danger and realizing the fall out is worth stopping the risk.

It is ridiculous to think that the travel ban is going to be a recruitment tool for isis when Obama has been hitting them with drones for years now. I think having your neighborhood blown up does far more to motivate a person than a pause in travel.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:57 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,557,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I do agree that it can be tweaked but wouldn't adding more countries cause more hysteria from the liberals?

Old 02-01-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Do you know what the problem was between the Comanche and the Texans with regard to a treaty?

The problem was that there was no functional state. Saudi can be coerced and bargained with because they have a state. They can provide Intel. How can you bargain with tribal chaos? Who will vet them? Who can be held accountable?

That is the difference. I do not like Saudi much either. However they do for the most part speak for Saudis and they can provide us information. If their information proves unreliable then we can hold them accountable.

Yeah, let's just forget that more Saudis were directly involved with the 9/11 attacks than naytionals from any other country. Let's just forget that while they were pretending to be our 'friend' they were funding radical Islamic schools preaching hatred of the west.

Is that plan? Or an invitation to even more attacks on the US?

I believe they have literally gotten away with murders for no other reason than they are the US defense industry's #1 foreign customer, it's disgusting what gets excused in the name of the almighty $$$..

Old 02-01-2017, 03:01 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,465 times
Quote:
I do agree that it can be tweaked but wouldn't adding more countries cause more hysteria from the liberals?
You know what would probably stop much of the Hysteria? Making sure your stupid order doesn't impact people that have already been vetted and gone through the process of coming here legally. In addition, not making it look like you have a conflict of interest by not including countries your companies do business with despite them being prime candidates to be on the list.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:

I thought Trump was allegedly different, are you now going to make the excuse that he's just some little pissant that gives a rat's ass about hysteria from any group?

Time to poop or get off the pot, is he a leader concerned with doing what's right or just another political hack controlled by his narcissistic need for approval?

Old 02-01-2017, 03:07 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,709,426 times
Well if Trump executed this properly, it wouldn't be so much problem. Had he informed law enforcers and airport security of this plan & got them on board instead of creating a chaos over night where people midflight were turned away, people stuck in their transit location & arresting 5 year old because they are security threats. that is a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies