Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do YOU stand?
I am proud of them. 2 13.33%
They are hurting our cause. 13 86.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 06:26 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,558,126 times

Advertisements

Poll to follow shortly.

A little background for those who haven't seen footage or read any of the crazy posts in the main thread posted while it was unfolding live:

Many appeared to support the anarchy. One went as far as to say "proud of my alma mater".

Many knew nothing about the man being protested, but did a quick google search saw "Breitbart" and went on the usual talking points of racism and KKK and white supremacy.

Spoiler Alert
Spoiler
Milo is a GAY JEW whose dating preference is BLACK MEN. You would think that would be a big enough clue that he probably is not a white supremacist. But, of course, it didn't matter to the usual suspects.

Throughout the first 15 or so pages that were posted before I went to bed for the evening I saw exactly ONE person from the left condemn this violence and sad attempt at shutting down free speech. At a college campus no less.

So I wonder if here at CD do we really ONLY have the far left loons? Or are there a lot more still sane lefties who will condemn these bullies and thugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 06:29 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,637,839 times
“We won’t put up with the violent rhetoric of Milo, Trump or the fascistic alt-right,” said a Berkeley history student who declined to give his name. Wearing all black and a face mask, and carrying a banner that read “Queers bash back”, the student said he identified with the “antifa” (anti-fascist) movement.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...vent-cancelled

So basically he becomes violent because he doesn't want to hear the message of someone else who he defines the rhetoric as "violent".

He doesn't like the opinion of someone or how he says it so he gets violent.
"Intolerant of their intolerance."

Old 02-02-2017, 06:33 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times
This poll is silly. Of course violent protests hurt whatever cause they're supposedly supporting. This doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out. The proper response would have been to ignore the speaking engagement altogether. Result? No press coverage. No acting out in stupid, ridiculous, and dangerous ways. Win/win.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
This poll is silly. Of course violent protests hurt whatever cause they're supposedly supporting. This doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out. The proper response would have been to ignore the speaking engagement altogether. Result? No press coverage. No acting out in stupid, ridiculous, and dangerous ways. Win/win.
Yeah, you would THINK so, but...

YOU were the only one against it. YOU are the reason I made this poll to see if there were more like you here. The overwhelming majority were cheering it on.

The "I'm proud of my alma mater" was a direct quote as was the other choice, a direct quote from you.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:27 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x643kcoc8FU

They need to catch some lead.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:28 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
I'm not cheering it on.

Violence is not the answer, shutting down other opinions is not the answer. Especially if you just let them speak and remove all doubt.

The anarchists are to the left as the KKK is to the right, and we should condemn them just as we urge the right to do with the racists.

Having said that I don't shed a tear when they beat up the skinheads - hypocritical I know.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:32 AM

1,261 posts, read 951,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm not cheering it on.

Violence is not the answer, shutting down other opinions is not the answer. Especially if you just let them speak and remove all doubt.

The anarchists are to the left as the KKK is to the right, and we should condemn them just as we urge the right to do with the racists.

Having said that I don't shed a tear when they beat up the skinheads - hypocritical I know.
This pretty much sums up my feelings. It wasn't the right way to protest the event, although they were right to speak out about the repugnant things this particular person has written.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
I'm disappointed in them.

I'm not "on the left" but most of the righties on here seem to think I am.

I am never one to deny anyone the right to free speech. I also think the atmosphere on college campuses today, in attempting to silence ideas and opinions that differ from their own, is dangerous an hypocritical due to the fact that they want people to hear them but don't want the other side to say anything.

It was sad IMO. That you cannot even go to college/university and be able to have a civilized, open dialogue. They should have let him speak and if there were ways to ask questions later, he could ask those questions. Or they could have held some sort of panel afterwards to discuss the topics of which Milo spoke about and share their own ideas about why those are either good/bad - positive/negative ideas in our society.

Fact of the matter is though, I believe that no one should be silenced based on their views and that people should not protest over anyone speaking. We are all living, breathing, THINKING beings and just because someone says something doesn't mean that anyone is "hurt." Also that life is filled with things that will hurt you. We have to be able to rationalized and deal with issues and incidents that may be hurtful.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
This pretty much sums up my feelings. It wasn't the right way to protest the event, although they were right to speak out about the repugnant things this particular person has written.
Can you cite any of the "repugnant" things he has written?

Anything stand out as the worst?

Old 02-02-2017, 07:45 AM

12,391 posts, read 7,100,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm not cheering it on.

This is the difference between those on the left, and those in the middle, or on the right.

Those on the left know violence is wrong, but yet don't care when some thug assaults someone that they disagree with.

This is why the violence come solely from the left, they know it's wrong, but just don't care.

The good, decent people on the left should be protesting those on the left that shut down free speech, and use violence against those that have different ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies