Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 12:31 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Willie Nelson comes to mind.
Apparently Willie Nelson smokes more weed than Snoop Dog. If it's true, that dude must have a constantly running vaporizer or something...

I'd like to think that our founding fathers were sort of Liberal Rednecks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 12:33 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Rednecks have been smokin pot, long before the hippies made it mainstream.
It use to be a law to grow pot. George Washington grew pot and so did all the founding fathers. They didn't call it pot, or marijuana. They called it hemp. They learned from the natives that it was awesome textile, and did pretty well in the Peace Pipe too.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:34 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Woo Hoo! I live in Texas now, but I might be moving to Baltimore for work. It's a tough decision for me because I've got a few "evil black guns" that are banned in MD. I'd either have to store them with someone out of state, or sell them. Hopefully this other non-MD job opportunity works out first.

Here's the thing about the background checks... If someone is unfit for a job due to their criminal background, shouldn't that person still be in jail? If they are qualified for the position, but the company feels uneasy about hiring them due to their background, why are they out in public? If the company feels uneasy, wouldn't the public?

When someone is an alcoholic or drug abuser, but turns their life around, we don't constantly keep harping on their past. We let it go and move on.

People with criminal records have a bad rep because they often commit more crimes. They commit more crimes because it's hard to find a decent job who will hire someone with a history of crimes. Of course, there are always losers, but sometimes people just made one dumb decision that can affect the rest of their lives.

A buddy got into a fight with his girlfriend in college. She came into his apartment and started yelling and hitting him. He pushed her back and she hit the wall. She immediately left and called the cops. He got charged with assault and the charge stuck. He's got a degree, but works construction because no one will hire him due to the assault charge seven years ago.

Interestingly enough, the idea of having a "criminal background check" is pretty much unheard of in Europe. I worked two jobs while I was living there and a background check was never done. They have the mentality that if you do your time, you should be forgiven. The past is the past.

I guess this is my liberal background showing. Conservative people seem to have a "you made your bed, you sleep in it" attitude.

I should probably update my original post to say something like: Welfare limits for people who are able to work. The parents can apply for food stamps on behalf of their children because the children are unable to work.

I really wish we could come up with a way to remove the "let's have more kids to get more welfare" incentive without hurting the kids. I really don't have any ideas on how to do this. But like someone else said, kids with free and reduced price lunch get breakfast and lunch from school. They also get take home snacks for the weekends and evenings. Most of this stuff is donated by parents in the districts.
I'm about as far from a liberal as you can get (In a way, I'm not a social conservative for the most part), but I agree with pretty well everything that you said. There isn't a political party for some people in this country, that is for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Rednecks have been smokin pot, long before the hippies made it mainstream.
It use to be a law to grow pot. George Washington grew pot and so did all the founding fathers. They didn't call it pot, or marijuana. They called it hemp. They learned from the natives that it was awesome textile, and did pretty well in the Peace Pipe too.
They grew a boatload of hemp in Missouri pre-civil war. I think I read a theory somewhere that it was made illegal because it was competing with cotton.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:07 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
I should probably update my original post to say something like: Welfare limits for people who are able to work. The parents can apply for food stamps on behalf of their children because the children are unable to work.

I really wish we could come up with a way to remove the "let's have more kids to get more welfare" incentive without hurting the kids. I really don't have any ideas on how to do this. But like someone else said, kids with free and reduced price lunch get breakfast and lunch from school. They also get take home snacks for the weekends and evenings. Most of this stuff is donated by parents in the districts.
Agreeing that children in America shouldn't go hungry is a start. I like to think we could all agree on other things if we weren't hiding behind keyboards.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:10 PM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
If we have and extra 20 billion or so laying around .. instead of building a wall ... maybe we should be housing homeless vets.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:28 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post

They grew a boatload of hemp in Missouri pre-civil war. I think I read a theory somewhere that it was made illegal because it was competing with cotton.

No. The wood pulp industry lobbyist....

Old 02-02-2017, 02:52 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Apparently Willie Nelson smokes more weed than Snoop Dog. If it's true, that dude must have a constantly running vaporizer or something...

I'd like to think that our founding fathers were sort of Liberal Rednecks.
Willie Nelson pins a lie to the lips of those who say smoking weed makes a person lazy. That man's in his 80's and still working.

Founding fathers were definitely progressive liberals of their times.

Rednecks? Who knows? Probably did write about much about that.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:06 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
I've determined that I'm a liberal redneck/hippy conservative. Here's what makes me a liberal and a redneck:
  • Abortion should be legal and available in all states
  • Healthcare should be a single payer system
  • Touch my guns and we are going to have problems
  • Cut-off limits for non-disabled/non-veteran individuals on welfare. 1yr maybe? Teach a man to fish... You know... Also, no additional welfare after child #2
  • Age 18 for drinking age
  • Legalize marijuana
  • Prohibit criminal background checks from being used in hiring/housing decisions.

Are there any other liberal rednecks here? Any hippy conservatives?
Good to go with all of it except the welfare. TANF starts sanctioning within the couple years to encourage folks to work their way off. You have to be really persistent in most states to be getting any benefits by year five.

But I'm fine with Food Stamps as long as people need them. Being stingy with food doesn't set well with me. Though I would eliminate soda pop and candy from the list of what can be purchased with food stamps.

We need a system to erase criminal records once folks are no longer a danger to society.

Liberal Redneck Trae Crowder nails it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTH...XK1bp4vpifl6yA

Old 02-02-2017, 03:17 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
I've determined that I'm a liberal redneck/hippy conservative. Here's what makes me a liberal and a redneck:
  • Abortion should be legal and available in all states
  • Healthcare should be a single payer system
  • Touch my guns and we are going to have problems
  • Cut-off limits for non-disabled/non-veteran individuals on welfare. 1yr maybe? Teach a man to fish... You know... Also, no additional welfare after child #2
  • Age 18 for drinking age
  • Legalize marijuana
  • Prohibit criminal background checks from being used in hiring/housing decisions.

Are there any other liberal rednecks here? Any hippy conservatives?
I have no problem with all that - as long as your gun purchases went through a proper check.

My problem though is that not being white (I can go from very dark in the summer to very light in the winter), I never burn, and have never been red. Is there is such a thing as a liberal brownneck?

Old 02-02-2017, 03:40 PM

3,331 posts, read 1,963,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Green grass and high tides forever is one of the best tunes ever, before my time but I love southern rock.Most of the guys I know from rough trades have alot of surprisingly liberal views on alot of things. Even somebody like ronnie van zandt was a redneck but had tons of great songs about the environment and even gun control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGQvKU8Iaz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R82OM5tzcrk
Don't forget Black Oak Arkansas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies