Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 09:04 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,461,061 times

Advertisements

Perhaps an equally-worthy conversation to have is why Australia is so reticent to accept these refugees, and why they get a pass to from the social justice left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 09:06 AM

20,577 posts, read 19,240,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I think those on the right forget about things like the Battle of Gallipoli back in WWI where the Australian military suffered heavy casualties helping us on the Ottoman front

Oh give me a break. That was the British empire helping itself to the resources of the colonies. The US was not "helped" by WWI.

38,972 posts, read 27,364,015 times
Every country has the right to refuse refugees. Australia, the USA, doesn't really matter.

The problem here is that Obama had an agreement with the Australia, what should we do at this point?

14,249 posts, read 17,859,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well you are asking these questions nobody can really answer. I can't blame Australia to be fair and honest.

Obama should never have made such an agreement, but he DID, what should we do now?

Like I said, president Trump will review the agreement and hopefully a deal will be made in the future.
Fact is, most of these refugees are economic migrants. CNN said that many of them are from countries on the travel ban list. To get from the Middle East to Australia they would have crossed Iran, Pakistan, India and Bangladesh at the very least. I cannot believe they could not have found a safe place in any of those countries.

They wanted to go to Australia for economic reasons and they want to come to the USA for the same reasons.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:07 AM

16,237 posts, read 5,829,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Oh give me a break. That was the British empire helping itself to the resources of the colonies. The US was not "helped" by WWI.
True....

Old 02-02-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Fact is, most of these refugees are economic migrants. CNN said that many of them are from countries on the travel ban list. To get from the Middle East to Australia they would have crossed Iran, Pakistan, India and Bangladesh at the very least. I cannot believe they could not have found a safe place in any of those countries.

They wanted to go to Australia for economic reasons and they want to come to the USA for the same reasons.
True.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:11 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,863,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
The PM of Australia thought if Hil got in he could screw the US by dumping potential terrorists in America. He had already said it was a done deal in 2016 and is now embarrassed that Trump stood up for America by keeping us safe. Australia learned the hard way...don't confuse Trump with a chump.
Or confuse him with an actual Statesman, or Rational Human Being. Yes, there are lots of things the trump should be no confused with. Amazing that the Idiot cannot get along with our best friends around the world, should be interesting to see how he fairs with our enemies.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:11 AM

2,537 posts, read 3,715,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post

Which means there should be no danger waiting for them back home. So why not deport them back to whereever they came from?

Here's one thing I don't understand, these are 'refugees' whose asylum applications have been DENIED by Australia. Why of why would Obama agree to take them in?

I honestly don't think Trump could get out of this.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:14 AM

76,967 posts, read 47,272,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
The PM of Australia thought if Hil got in he could screw the US by dumping potential terrorists in America. He had already said it was a done deal in 2016 and is now embarrassed that Trump stood up for America by keeping us safe. Australia learned the hard way...don't confuse Trump with a chump.
What the whole world learned was the US will not honor their word, or alliances any longer.

The sooner that idiot leave the WH the sooner US can restore her image.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Which means there should be no danger waiting for them back home. So why not deport them back to whereever they came from?

Here's one thing I don't understand, these are 'refugees' whose asylum applications have been DENIED by Australia. Why of why would Obama agree to take them in?

I honestly don't think Trump could get out of this.
It looks like the deal is that, The US takes 1,250 refugees that are Australia’s responsibility but are not allowed to come to Australia. In tern Australia takes approximately the same number of refugees/migrants that came through a facility in Costa Rica, migrants the US apparently does not want, for reasons unsaid.

I agree with the bold.

I have no clue why these two countries are "responsible" for refugees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies