Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 04:57 AM

59,082 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Do you have a list of any churches that have endorsed a political candidate? Most churches that I'm aware who are politically active do not endorse candidates. Trinity UCC in Chicago never endorsed Obama, but you can be pretty sure most members voted for Obama. They were investigated and cleared during the Bush administration for violation of their 501c3 status.
"Do you have a list of any churches that have endorsed a political candidate? "

"The law prohibits churches from engaging in political activity,"

Political activity does NOT have to be ONLY endorsing a candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 05:03 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
It's about time. This law was called the "Johnson Amendment" (not referring to the Constitution). It was established by Lyndon Johnson because he believed he was being specifically targeted for defeat by churches. But at the time of our Founding, churches were often where politics were discussed in communities. They were the centers of community action. It is unAmerican to disallow them the right of free speech.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:13 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
On Thursday, the President discussed a plan to repeal the Johnson Amendment with the approval of Congress. The law prohibits churches from engaging in political activity, because doing so risks them losing their tax exempt status. Repealing it allows them to engage in any political activities they wish, including campaign contributions Per the President: "Freedom of religion is a sacred right, but it is under serious threat." Ironically, he also defended his Muslim visa ban, explaining that terrorism is a fundamental threat to religious freedom. It seems that he believes freedom of religion only applies to Christianity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/u...899448&ref=cta
It is not "ironic," and it is not a "Muslim visa ban." You are intentionally misrepresenting the ban, which Barack Obama also established. In fact, this ban mirrors Obama's.

The U.S. has the right to bar anyone or any group from entering the country if they are seen as a threat to our country. No one has an absolute right to come to the U.S. We do not have "open borders." That is suicide.

You are also mischaracterizing what Donald Trump believes (not surprising ...that's what Leftists do).

Our First Amendment does not require us to commit political suicide in the name of "freedom of religion." A religious group that seeks our destruction, and whose beliefs do not comport with our Constitution, and a people who will not accept our culture and our Liberties and assimilate, are not welcome, and we have every right to keep them out.

I would also point out to you that at the time of our founding, the dominant world religions were Protestantism, Catholicism, and Judaism. It is highly unlikely that the Founders and Framers had in mind any other religion when the First Amendment was written, especially given that the reason for the so-called "establishment clause" (incorrectly interpreted by liberals) was because, in England, the Church of England was the only recognized church. All other Christians were persecuted. Other Christian sects were not recognized. So they were specifically protecting Christian sects and stating that no one sect would be designated as the officially recognized church (in Virginia, the Episcopal church had been so designated).

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 02-03-2017 at 05:24 AM..

Old 02-03-2017, 05:13 AM

59,082 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Needs To Change View Post
This is true. That's why I censor who I have give and take with. Black Religious Organizations do not come close to the organizational power of the White Evangelical movement. To believe otherwise is a waste of time conversing.
"Hillary Clinton has a firm hold on African American voters, and her visits to black churches on Sunday explained why.

"
There’s President Obama, who Clinton served and repeatedly expressed pride in to raucous applause from the congregations."

"At Holy Ghost Cathedral, a cathedral only in the spiritual sense of the word, a casual church set in a neighborhood of burnt-out, boarded-up wrecks occupied by people who freeze each winter because of the missing windows, Bishop Corletta J. Vaughn greeted Clinton"

Past Clinton drama: It's why one black pastor wants Hillary Clinton to be president - LA Times

"Hillary and Bill Clinton campaigned in historic black churches in Harlem and Queens Sunday, with the former president"

Hillary makes surprise appearance in Jamaica; Bill in Harlem | Newsday

Obama, Clinton speak at black churches

03/28/2008 02:45 am ET | Updated May 25, 2011

Julianna Goldman Bloomberg

Barack Obama spoke Sunday at the church once pastored by Martin Luther King Jr., matching the soaring chords of the choir with an inspirational speech that was part sermon, part call to action...

...Clinton, too, spoke at a black church today, the Abyssinian Baptist Church in Harlem.

Read full story here.

"Bill Clinton Speaks at Mason Temple Church of God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVpoV4-6qBc

I can easily find a lot more.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:15 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
What a guy, he's going to make it possible for churches to give him money for his reelection. And that's what will make America great, giving Donald money. Godspeed Donald.
This will hurt the church more than anything. People will start looking at churches as political organizations, and stop attending. I don't think I could stomach political spin in my church.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It is unAmerican to disallow them the right of free speech.
And it is un-Christian to turn the house of God into a place where people go to bicker over partisan politics. Jesus was angered only one time in the Bible, and it was when he saw that a house of God had been turned into something other than a place to honor God.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:23 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This will hurt the church more than anything. People will start looking at churches as political organizations, and stop attending. I don't think I could stomach political spin in my church.
It church leadership is steadfast, they won't have to worry about it. Its their choice to determine whether or not they will allow politics at the alter.

No different from corporate and businesses having guidelines preventing their company being associated with political groups.

But yeh... I agree.. if the church leadership allows it, they could stand to loose attendance in their congregation.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:23 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And it is un-Christian to turn the house of God into a place where people go to bicker over partisan politics. Jesus was angered only one time in the Bible, and it was when he saw that a house of God had been turned into something other than a place to honor God.
Jesus also made it clear that some of our money was Cesar's and some of our money was God's
To give your money to "God" and have it funneled to "Caesar" is probably not going to bode well for Religion in America. I think we been down that road before.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Jesus also made it clear that some of our money was Cesar's and some of our money was God's
To give your money to "God" and have it funneled to "Caesar" is probably not going to bode well for Religion in America. I think we been down that road before.
It only means you should pay in taxes whatever you owe in taxes.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:38 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
On Thursday, the President discussed a plan to repeal the Johnson Amendment with the approval of Congress. The law prohibits churches from engaging in political activity, because doing so risks them losing their tax exempt status. Repealing it allows them to engage in any political activities they wish, including campaign contributions Per the President: "Freedom of religion is a sacred right, but it is under serious threat." Ironically, he also defended his Muslim visa ban, explaining that terrorism is a fundamental threat to religious freedom. It seems that he believes freedom of religion only applies to Christianity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/u...899448&ref=cta
I don't care if they lobby as long as they lose their tax exempt status.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies