Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 01:21 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times

Advertisements

If the university president denied the speaker the ability to speak on campus after being invited by a group of students, I would likely be yelling "defund them!" However, not properly quelling a riot? More in a grey area where I would not be comfortable defunding them. Too many variables there. But the threat of defunding, if nothing else, should make universities who receive federal funding sit up and take notice they need to protect all of their students' rights to free expression, even those they do not agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 01:22 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Yes Bezeckley should.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:25 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Trump threatened withdrawal of dederal funding in a tweet. Berkeley gets over half of its funding from the federal government.

Given its clear disregard for free speech, and failure of the campus to protect all of its students, do you think the gov. Should pull out?
It would be a bad idea. UC-B didn't riot, people did. If the precident was set, then anyone could go riot and disrupt any organization and get it defunded.

I believe the better thing to do would be to leave peaceful protesters alone, and go HARD after rioters, and certainly don't reward rioters by doing their bidding on the activities they are protesting. I'm not a Trump fan, but I believe this is one area where he's pretty smart (really!) and would not do this. It will be counterproductive to his agenda.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:25 PM

800 posts, read 508,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
No, and I am 100 percent on the side of UC Berkeley against this orange, insane vulgarian.
So you support mass vandalism, arson, and assault as response to what was going to be a PEACEFUL, honest, and humorous speech by Milo, someone who simply disagrees with you politically. Thats all we need to know about your "values" to dismiss whatever else you may have to add. Sufferers of Trump derangement syndrome need to look in the mirror at how ridiculous they appear.

This would be an "argument" liberals would resort to, but I'll give it a go anyways out of fairness. Why are you such a homophobic bigot?? The man giving the speech tour, Milo, is clearly and proudly gay. And liberals keep protesting and trashing his events? Disgusting..You should be more accepting. There, we can lump your crowd together too over identity politics without listening to whole stories.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:27 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Due to its apparent political activities, I can see a case for Berkeley not receiving federal funding or tax exempt status.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:28 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
no they don't. You are just part of the breibart US, you filter your world and believe it real. You peaked, you are already in decline but are too damn dumb to see it.
lol you're in denial their movement has very little support. Yes I quite assure UC does look very stupid to most of the country right now. There's like 3 people on this board alone that support it 3 people out of a 1000 lol. They're rioting like idiots just because of a speaker that they don't agree with. Not to mention he's a total flamer that likes black guys.

Do you know how stupid that makes them look?

Old 02-02-2017, 01:35 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
lol you're in denial their movement has very little support. Yes I quite assure UC does look very stupid to most of the country right now. There's like 3 people on this board alone that support it 3 people out of a 1000 lol. They're rioting like idiots just because of a speaker that they don't agree with. Not to mention he's a total flamer that likes black guys.

Do you know how stupid that makes them look?
Really.......on top of the fact he's not even American and he's playing them like a fiddle.

He is imo as ridiculous as the protestors. Pretty sad state of affairs regarding our college campuses.

Don't these kids have anything better to do, like mentor a kid living in poverty or collecting food for the homeless.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:40 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Yeah because we want people as stupid as Trump running around.

I'd love him to though, because he'd have every college student in the country marching on Washington bigly.

1. He has no grounds to do it.

2. Lol. Berkley can always con the students into putting the tuition on their credit cards. Trump should really really avoid the subject of universities and funding.

Yes! Trump really SHOULD create more chaos. It's working so well for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
let me break this down for everyone.

Nema98 is against orange people but fine with the burning of a city by its citizens.
violence good. being orange evil.
Hyperbole much?

Where were you when WVU was burning couches after a big win???

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
We need new law that automatically defunds any school if they don't protect free speech from violent protesters, or if they operate a sanctuary. Maybe defund 20%, and if they don't comply in 3 months 20% more. If it is automatic, then the president does not have to keep fighting them in person.

Whether anyone likes Trump's policies or not, allowing violent aggravated assault and property damage unpunished is immoral and criminal too.
Good luck with all that 'defunding'. At some point, Congress gets a say.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:42 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
It really ticks me off to think I work hard and pay taxes and some of our tax dollar goes to places like this. Yes, defund them.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:42 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Yes, absolutel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies