Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is more easily controlled?
The right 19 31.15%
the left 30 49.18%
about equal 12 19.67%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:44 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,973 times

Advertisements

A question for fellow centrists out there.

In regards to righ-wing and left-wing American political ideologies, who do you believe is easier/more controlled?

I've always believed in the past that the right was more easily controlled because of the heavy religious influence on American right-wing politics. Being that anyone with half a brain can easily see organized religion for what it is, it's hard not to imagine that a huge portion of those that subscribe to mostly right-wing political views lack the ability to think for themselves. The religious factor has always been the biggest turnoff for me in terms of the Republican party.

With that being said, I think the left has actually now surpassed the right in regards to being brain-dead followers because of technology. The Internet has been a HUGE game changer. Never before has the MSM had the ability to tap into the minds of weak individuals in the way that we're seeing. People that would have never been politically engaged 30 years ago are now being herded into the front lines of extreme left-wing politics. Add to this, the fact that political correctness has more social control over people these days than religion does. In 2017 it's easier for someone that is very liberal to live in a small town in the rural south than it is for someone that's very conservative to live in an urban area on either coast. The social conditioning that the left has developed in the educational system alone trumps the influence of organized religion these days. Even when kids do decide to think for themselves, they're shamed into not expressing their beliefs if it goes against the flow. Just listening to my niece and nephew talk about what is pushed on them in school at such a young age is pretty insane. It's as if they're in some kind of globalist boot camp that pounds the concept of multiculturalism into their heads until they submit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 11:47 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,650,476 times
Easily the left. Mainly because they blindly believe false narratives and fall into that identity politics and have become so far regressive that I don't even know who they are anymore.

"IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME, YOU'RE A NAZI RACIST HOMOPHOBE!"

The right seems a bit more tame these days, but I also see many blind Trump Admin supporters that kiss his arse no matter what he does.

Centrists are more like "meh, I gotta go to work, pay the bills, live my life, the end".

Old 03-21-2017, 11:48 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
A question for fellow centrists out there.

In regards to righ-wing and left-wing American political ideologies, who do you believe is easier/more controlled?

I've always believed in the past that the right was more easily controlled because of the heavy religious influence on American right-wing politics. Being that anyone with half a brain can easily see organized religion for what it is, it's hard not to imagine that a huge portion of those that subscribe to mostly right-wing political views lack the ability to think for themselves. The religious factor has always been the biggest turnoff for me in terms of the Republican party.

With that being said, I think the left has actually now surpassed the right in regards to being brain-dead followers because of technology. The Internet has been a HUGE game changer. Never before has the MSM had the ability to tap into the minds of weak individuals in the way that we're seeing. People that would have never been politically engaged 30 years ago are now being herded into the front lines of extreme left-wing politics. Add to this, the fact that political correctness has more social control over people these days than religion does. In 2017 it's easier for someone that is very liberal to live in a small town in the rural south than it is for someone that's very conservative to live in an urban area on either coast. The social conditioning that the left has developed in the educational system alone trumps organized religion these days. Even when kids do decide to think for themselves, they're shamed into not expressing their beliefs if it goes against the flow. Just listening to my niece and nephew talk about what is pushed on them in school at such a young age is pretty insane. It's as if they're in some kind of globalist boot camp that pounds the concept of multiculturalism into their heads until they submit.
So, I know how I voted, how did you vote?

Old 03-21-2017, 11:49 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,905,917 times
It isn't a matter of left vs right, etc...

It is an individual issue on logical ability to evaluate information and separate emotions from that evaluation.

I have seen both sides subject themselves to emotional evaluation, though... I would say that while both sides have individuals who argue in such manners, the left roots a lot of its "causes" in emotional logic.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:49 AM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Easily the left. Mainly because they blindly believe false narratives and fall into that identity politics and have become so far regressive that I don't even know who they are anymore.

"IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME, YOU'RE A NAZI RACIST HOMOPHOBE!"

The right seems a bit more tame these days, but I also see many blind Trump Admin supporters that kiss his arse no matter what he does.

Centrists are more like "meh, I gotta go to work, pay the bills, live my life, the end".
Well put. Although I would say that there were far more leftists who thought Obama did no wrong. I support Trump but if he does something I don't like, I will admit it.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:50 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
I voted for the right, the power of religion and the perpetual fear of "the other" (ie: Blacks, Hispanics, Muslims, etc) pretty much dominates the right.

That's why I became an conservative leaning independent.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:55 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Not one single liberal policy is financially, economically or logically sound, yet they still support them blindly.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:57 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
I remember when the right was easily controlled by the neo-con right during the Bush era, but that was nothing in comparison to what we've witnessed these last few years. The liberal left has gone absolutely bonkers.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:00 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,504,845 times
The right - just tell them about gays are getting married and they are under your umbrella. If that doesn't work with some, tell them transgender will be able to share bathroom with your daughters - rest of them will come.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:05 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
So, I know how I voted, how did you vote?
I plugged my nose and voted for Trump.

Politically, he's the best candidate a true centrist has had the chance to vote for in a very long time, but I don't care for him personally. I think he's divisive, unbalanced, often full of ****. Most of his policies are breath of fresh air though. It's nice to see leadership that actually puts America first again. I've never actually seen it in my lifetime. It's almost surreal at times when I see the things he's doing. I just wish we could have a leader with balls this big that wasn't a complete butthole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies