Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2017, 11:30 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,682,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
There is nothing wrong with being careful as to who is allowed entry into our country. It is actually a responsibility of the Federal Government to do so. It seems the people who are returning with visas or green cards haven't minded answering some extra questions. Some have said it's a small price to pay in order to be allowed entry into the greatest country in the world. I'm sure they want to be safe from terrorists as much as we do.

Our laws are in place FOR the U.S. No one, not even Trump, has said we would not honor agreements. This is temporary until his administration can get a proper vetting system put in place. We might not honor an agreement with someone wanting to come here who is deemed to be a threat. I don't want someone like that admitted just because we previously had an agreement with them.

THIS!!!

We are long over-due to get the immigration screening process improved - it should have happened decades ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 11:36 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Robart followed up with a written ruling Friday night.

“The executive order adversely affects the state’s residents in areas of employment, education, business, family relations and freedom to travel,” Robart wrote, adding that the order also harmed the state’s public universities and tax base. “These harms are significant and ongoing."

Can someone explain this to me? I don't get it at all, unless these "state's residents" that he speaks of are illegal aliens.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:36 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
It doesn't matter when Trump rolled out this order, the reaction would be the same from the left.

The bottom line is this, the order was reviewed by DOJ lawyers, and approved.

The order is legal, and constitutional.

ETA: If a terrorist slips into the country during the hult, this judge, and the dems that support the this activist judge will be to blame.
Not really. No reaction to the Obama slow-down to improve vetting following the Bowling Green arrests by the FBI. Ideology doesn't trump security from terrorism.

But Trump does have an uphill battle here. Here, I agree with you. Absolutely. Because he chose to use the language he did during the campaign in what appeared to be dog-whistle politics, skepticism about the motivations behind certain Presidential actions is inevitable. Particularly when they are rushed out in the first week. Good policy or politics?

Pair that with concern about his readiness to be President (no background in policy, running a large organization as opposed to a family-owned business) and the guy is bound to be under a microscope.

His language, his decision to run. The more competent and balanced Trump's actions appear, the better for all.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:38 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
There is nothing wrong with being careful as to who is allowed entry into our country. It is actually a responsibility of the Federal Government to do so. It seems the people who are returning with visas or green cards haven't minded answering some extra questions. Some have said it's a small price to pay in order to be allowed entry into the greatest country in the world. I'm sure they want to be safe from terrorists as much as we do.

Our laws are in place FOR the U.S. No one, not even Trump, has said we would not honor agreements. This is temporary until his administration can get a proper vetting system put in place. We might not honor an agreement with someone wanting to come here who is deemed to be a threat. I don't want someone like that admitted just because we previously had an agreement with them.
There were thousands outside the US in airports that could not board the plane? That is break in our prior agreement to say you are accepted to come- on visa approval is NOT following rule of law. We were not under any imminent attack.
The airport Border Protections Agents turn iffy people away- all the time- they are NOT the TSA!
They have been doing their jobs for years- the State Department turns people- DOWN all the time-- people act like there was nothing ever in PLACE !
The POTUS listened to the idiot- CBP union dude - (politically minded) -threw out the CBP guy in Charge and did NOT have full knowledge of the operations already in place, and just sent this out with out counsel of anyone but Bannon. DHS Kelly was informed after the fact- kicked his own guy down the curb -and put bannon as 2nd in command- Darn I thought he was a highly skilled CEO??

Old 02-04-2017, 11:41 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
First of all your source is one of the least credible media outlets.

Second, the story from unnamed sources talking about details of confidential meetings is beyond ridiculous. Do we need to start posting some of the stories from unnamed sources about the Clintons, and Obamas, just to show you how ridiculous it is?

People need to stop believing these "leaks", it makes those that reports such nonsense, and those that believe them look very foolish.
Stop with the attacking of the source. No one is pretending to be inside Trump's mind. But the timelines described DO match what happened that weekend. It's simply a coherent presentation or summary. For me, the item of interest is Bannon. If you are maintaining that there is NO turmoil inside a brand new White House with some jockeying for power then there is a bridge in Brooklyn to be purchased. Plus, it's somewhat POSITIVE. Trump is being responsive to a difficult roll-out. What's the problem?

Old 02-04-2017, 11:43 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Sorry, I seen your posts here on CD through a simple google search. You cannot make me believe otherwise. You are as liberal blue as those protestors at berkley .
I have always been a liberal. Huge supporter of Hillary.

But now that Trump won, there's really no point for me to resist. He is god, after all. That is why I pray to him to build the wall. Any news that is not favorable to Trump is fake news.

Trump is great. He alone can fix everything. Praise Trump!

Old 02-04-2017, 11:49 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
The AG is not the one that reviews these things, the Office of Legal Counsel reviews Executive Orders.

The Office of Legal Counsel reviewed Trump's order, and approved it.

Those are the facts, like them or not.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...GGfqy-PrxIFZTw

1-202. In furtherance of the Attorney General's responsibility for the coordination of the implementation and enforcement of the nondiscrimination provisions of laws covered by this Order, the Attorney General shall review the existing and proposed rules, regulations, and orders of general applicability of the Executive agencies in order to identify those which are inadequate, unclear or unnecessarily inconsistent.

No, THESE are the facts.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:51 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
New article today describing Administration in-fighting that accompanied the issuance of the order (Friday, Jan 27). To deal with the fall-out from their initial inclusion, Kelly was reported to have proposed a waiver for Green Card holders (Saturday, Jan. 28). Bannon tried to prevent the waiver but Kelly refused to back down unless instructed by Trump. Trump did not intervene and the waiver was announced (Sunday, Jan. 29).

Over that weekend there was a conference call followed by a WH meeting:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-draw10&wpmm=1

Looks like Trump was responsive to the outcry. The Cabinet made a clear case. Priebus now may have more control over process. Bannon and Miller DO come across as wild cards, which isn't a surprise.
As I posted before from the Boston case - it all hinged on ONE word "entry" and it's meaning. The DOJ should have caught this when they approved the E.O. Green Card holders were immediately let in as were a group of 800 Refugees. The Total Hysterical Meltdown crowd ignored what was happening on the ground and how quickly the Government was responding. The Boston Judge looked at all the FACTs and ignored the Leftist Hysteria Talking Points. The Seattle Judge issued a Temporary Restraining Order based on Politics, not on Law.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:55 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Robart followed up with a written ruling Friday night.

“The executive order adversely affects the state’s residents in areas of employment, education, business, family relations and freedom to travel,” Robart wrote, adding that the order also harmed the state’s public universities and tax base. “These harms are significant and ongoing."

Can someone explain this to me? I don't get it at all, unless these "state's residents" that he speaks of are illegal aliens.
He is referring to State Taxes , Expedia making travel changes , Amazon's Foreign Workers , University Employees Students (they are ALL cleared under the Executive Order if they hold Green Cards) and the Political Talking Points of the Washington State and ACLU Activists

His ruling never even looked at the Legality of the E.O. - just that the Leftists in his Court didn't like it.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:55 AM

381 posts, read 177,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
Have an idea on timeframe?

This is what Sean Spicer said: "At the earliest possible time, the Department of Justice intends to file an emergency stay of this order and defend the executive order of the President, which we believe is lawful and appropriate." If granted, the stay might last until the constitutionality of the EO is determined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies