Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2017, 08:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
You were doing ok until you went sideways. Take it easy. It's going to be ok.
I know eventually it'll be okay BUT you have to admit with the violence ratcheting up we're only a gunshot or three away from some serious stuff going down...

So you know, I'm not sitting here wringing my hands in worry, I know that whatever happens at these protests and riots most likely will not affect me or mine, just observing cause and effect of escalating violence and it's tendency to feed off itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 08:21 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I know eventually it'll be okay BUT you have to admit with the violence ratcheting up we're only a gunshot or three away from some serious stuff going down...

So you know, I'm not sitting here wringing my hands in worry, I know that whatever happens at these protests and riots most likely will not affect me or mine, just observing cause and effect of escalating violence and it's tendency to feed off itself.
I agree. My DW is anxious as well....thinks that we are just "a shout away". I see people with exceptions expressing their discontent pretty much within the laws (save Berkeley). The war imho is happening in the press. Radically opposed to Trump they have become a 3rd party in this country warring for influence (sales) and stoking the fires of anger hate and misunderstanding.

You sound wise enough like me to have seen when Detroit, L.A. and others were in flames with orders to the National Guard to shoot to kill looters. Do you think today compares to then? I'm interested in your view.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Trump sees this as a time of national threat and has the responsibility to protect the country by his actions. He feels that the courts have no power in this one. So far he is not correct.We will see how this plays out but on this one I agree with his actions and believe the judge acted unconstitutionally.
It's not that he was wrong per say, it's that he and his staff misjudged the 9th circuit and the high odds they'd rule against him, which was the main reason it was filed in WA to begin with so as to toss it into the 9th.
All this does is slow it down a tick or two it won't stop it permanently if past performance is any indication.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:31 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
That's why there is currently a move to separate some states from the 9th Circuit Court and create a new Court.
Where did you get that from?

Old 02-05-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I agree. My DW is anxious as well....thinks that we are just "a shout away". I see people with exceptions expressing their discontent pretty much within the laws (save Berkeley). The war imho is happening in the press. Radically opposed to Trump they have become a 3rd party in this country warring for influence (sales) and stoking the fires of anger hate and misunderstanding.

You sound wise enough like me to have seen when Detroit, L.A. and others were in flames with orders to the National Guard to shoot to kill looters. Do you think today compares to then? I'm interested in your view.
I remember what went down in Detroit,LA. I do know from stories from my dad who worked in Detroit in the 40's about having to drive around with a gun on his dash so he would not be a target of race riot violence (he was White), so that coupled with what's happened since the 40's in Detroit,LA and other places it would seem to me we might just be seeing history repeating itself.

As for today vs when cities were in flames and the "shoot looters" orders were given? Well hmmm, off the cuff I'd say that it started out small back then as well and the nation for the most part was in a very conservative mindset at that time but big change was in the wind. We've had a liberal/very liberal leadership and apparent mindset for the last 2 administrations which seems to now have swung the other way.
We now as we did back then seemingly have a President that will not be so tolerant of "rabble" and random violence and I think the general public is/will be behind him if/when he decides to put his foot down and say enough, especially if the locals keep up their hands off stance. He will see it as his duty to protect ALL Americans and order in the Guard to restore order.

What changes things this time around is Social Media,instant communication and the Press. Instead of back then, where we'd see some brief film of violence and a hard news report at 6pm of it we now see instant unfiltered video of what's happened and then listen to the Press try and bend it to their narrative to feed into it 24/7, maybe to keep themselves relevant? Either way it's certainly NOT matching up with what unfiltered stuff people have access to instantly so the distrust begins...

This is confusing many and angering just as many more. It's going to be an interesting few months/year especially if the silent majority finally rise up and say "enough".
History repeating itself? Probably but I'd hope not...

Old 02-05-2017, 09:18 AM

7,498 posts, read 5,745,535 times
For all the banter on both sides I hope that Americans understand how very very dangerous this decision is. While it's not clear it appears his ruling was based on irreparable damage to citizens and business. If that is the case and I say a big if, NONE of these people are citizens therefor have no rights under the constitution and the impact to a business should never ever override national security. This is very very serious.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:20 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I can quote (again) the LAW (United States Code) that gives the President the right to impose a ban on immigration by from any CLASS of people:

And again, 8 USC 1182 says, in part:

"(f) Suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by President
Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate. Whenever the Attorney General finds that a commercial airline has failed to comply with regulations of the Attorney General relating to requirements of airlines for the detection of fraudulent documents used by passengers traveling to the United States (including the training of personnel in such detection), the Attorney General may suspend the entry of some or all aliens transported to the United States by such airline."

Note that there is no requirement for the President to have any review by anybody. His power of proclamation under this law is absolute, to "suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens"!
This IS the LAW OF THE LAND!

Pence disagrees....

Quote:
Vice President Mike Pence said a federal judge in Seattle “certainly” has the authority to halt President Donald Trump’s travel ban, but insisted the administration would seek a stay of the order.

“He certainly does, and that's why the administration is complying with that order as we speak,” Pence told ABC’s “This Week” in a pre-taped interview that aired Sunday.

Pence: Judge 'certainly' has right to halt travel ban | TheHill

Old 02-05-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
He has "the right" as a Federal Judge but the question remains, was that right used rightly?

Old 02-05-2017, 09:48 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Where did you get that from?
One of many results from a google search:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/under-n...-up-1486072683

I chose that one because it is from the WSJ. Some of the other sources were a little shaky on the "credibility" score (according to some people).

NOTE: Be sure to read the "comments" at the end of the article. They are quite interesting!

Old 02-05-2017, 09:51 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
So, Pence disagrees with THE LAW, or agrees that the Judge has the authority to ignore the law in making a ruling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies