Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 12:14 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Please point out where the Constitution says we only respect religious freedoms of certain qualified religions.

Bonus points if you point us to the list of Constitutionally approved "good" religions.
The constitution has nothing to do with any religion, neither does the EO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 12:15 PM

57,229 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
No reasonable judge will buy the intent argument.

The order applies to all equally, in the end, that is what makes it legal.
After all his comments wanting to ban Muslims this action had no intent. evidently some are more equal than others

There is tremendous support for overturning his ban on refugees.

Quote:
The groups note that as evangelicals who work extensively with refugees, they are “troubled” by Trump’s executive order and urged the White House to “reconsider these decisions, allowing for resettlement of refugees to resume immediately.” In addition to the temporary halt on immigrants from the seven predominantly Muslim nations, the Trump order halts all refugees into the United States for 120 days and indefinitely bars refugees from Syria.

Christian groups oppose Trump's preference for Christian refugees - POLITICO

Old 02-07-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
After all his comments wanting to ban Muslims this action had no intent. evidently some are more equal than others

Did you not realize that Trump was elected to the office because the following campaign promises:

1. Get rid of illegals
2. Vet refugees properly and reduce their numbers.
3. Nominate a SC judge who will rule by the law
4. Put America first

Old 02-07-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Just note, the 9th circuit will of course rule against Trump. After all, they're the court who loves to be overturned given they do it sooo much. Most political court in this country.

That being said, it's not even about actually executing the EO anymore, it's about affirming the executive branch's power over issuance of visas. The court is treading dangerously toward completely and utterly rewriting law if they say Trump doesn't have the power to enact this EO. He does, it's constitutional, and now will have to go to SCOTUS to affirm this. Otherwise, it's not just a limitation or issue for Trump but for all future presidents as this decision would otherwise become case law.

So yes, I fully expect the 9th circuit to rule against Trump. I fully expect the appeal to go to SCOTUS where I fully expect Trump to prevail.
We have 3 liberal hacks sitting in the high court. Without Gorsuch, I wouldn't hold my breath.

The problem is if the court rules the other way, I can't imagine what would be like. So anybody who gets a visa has the constitutional right to enter?

Old 02-07-2017, 12:28 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Democrats not liking something doesn't make it unconstitutional.

The fact remains, whatever Trump said during the campaign is irrelevant, the order applies to everyone equally, so it is constitutional.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:31 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
We have 3 liberal hacks sitting in the high court. Without Gorsuch, I wouldn't hold my breath.

The problem is if the court rules the other way, I can't imagine what would be like. So anybody who gets a visa has the constitutional right to enter?
How about anybody who goes through the extensive vetting process and is awarded a visa is entitled to a reason for having that visa revoked?

Old 02-07-2017, 12:32 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
I think the reason the progressive left are so willing to stand up for muslims is because Islam represents the rival to Christians and to a lesser extent the jewish. A case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend . Then take into account that most muslims are not white, and that makes it a civil rights issue against racism in their mind.

If it were Christians being banned I believe there would be a lot less fanfare from the left. Because Christians represent evil to them because of gay rights and abortion two of the biggest issues for progressive liberals which some Christians oppose. It doesn't really matter to them that muslims also oppose gay and women rights because right now Christian surround liberals in this country so they are enemy number one right now.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I think the reason the progressive left are so willing to stand up for muslims is because Islam represents the rival to Christians and to a lesser extent the jewish. A case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend . Then take into account that most muslims are not white, and that makes it a civil rights issue against racism in their mind.

If it were Christians being banned I believe there would be a lot less fanfare from the left. Because Christians represent evil to them because of gay rights and abortion two of the biggest issues for progressive liberals which some Christians oppose. It doesn't really matter to them that muslims also oppose gay and women rights because right now Christian surround liberals in this country so they are enemy number one right now.
Right, because an appreciation for the principle of freedom of religion just doesn't carry any weight with you.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
How about anybody who goes through the extensive vetting process and is awarded a visa is entitled to a reason for having that visa revoked?
You can petition the congress to pass such a law.

No such law exists in this country.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You can petition the congress to pass such a law.

No such law exists in this country.
Hmmmm.....

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/...-0-0-1928.html

Immigration law, so complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies