Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 07:47 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,513,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
White nationalists are not the new racists.

They are the old racists with a different name.
Bingo. And instead of calling people what they really are (racists) the media gives them cover and an innocuous sounding name.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:02 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
I wish this wasn't even an issue in 2017. I'm a white female in my early 50s. I grew up in a 99.9% white neighborhood. I thought nothing of it, and experienced severe culture shock when I went to college and was exposed to other races, colors, etc. However, I soon got over that, and I try to judge people by the way they behave. I'm a culturalist, not a racist. There is a huge difference.

I have to laugh at this nonsense that white people are somehow superior to everyone else. If this is the case, why are Asians often so intelligent and well educated? I forget which white supremacist had his DNA tested, and found out he actually was a mix of several races, including black.

The world is too small for this nonsense, and indeed, the U.S. is too small as well. Our country is becoming less white all the time, and at some point soon, we will be a nation comprised of minorities as the majority. Why is this necessarily bad? I've never understood why people complain about things like, "Mexicans come here and make tamales for Christmas!" Tamales are delicious; why should I care? Oh, is it because they're not assimilating the way we want them to? How arrogant.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:07 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,755,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I wish this wasn't even an issue in 2017. I'm a white female in my early 50s. I grew up in a 99.9% white neighborhood. I thought nothing of it, and experienced severe culture shock when I went to college and was exposed to other races, colors, etc. However, I soon got over that, and I try to judge people by the way they behave. I'm a culturalist, not a racist. There is a huge difference.

I have to laugh at this nonsense that white people are somehow superior to everyone else. If this is the case, why are Asians often so intelligent and well educated? I forget which white supremacist had his DNA tested, and found out he actually was a mix of several races, including black.

The world is too small for this nonsense, and indeed, the U.S. is too small as well. Our country is becoming less white all the time, and at some point soon, we will be a nation comprised of minorities as the majority. Why is this necessarily bad? I've never understood why people complain about things like, "Mexicans come here and make tamales for Christmas!" Tamales are delicious; why should I care? Oh, is it because they're not assimilating the way we want them to? How arrogant.
That's racist.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:08 AM

24,394 posts, read 23,050,809 times
Everybody calls each other Nazis and everybody call each other racists. We're like the Lilliputians going to war over which part of the egg to crack, the top or the bottom.
All we can do now is laugh when somebody tries to smear somebody, the words have lost all meaning and nobody has any moral high ground anymore.
Obama is a white nationalist. Trump is a moslem terrorist. Hillary is a pro lifer. Now that name calling is useless, what next?

Old 02-04-2017, 08:09 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,067,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
It seems like democrats have been slapping this label on pretty much everyone they disagree with lately. They use it so much that it's starting to become meaningless, much like when they used to call everyone racist.
All I can say is THANK YOU to those who moved on to white nationalist. I always had a hard time spelling misogynist. Appreciate it guys.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:11 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,755,581 times
The real racist is math:

Old 02-04-2017, 08:15 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,970,381 times
BLM and Berkeley cronies starting to become racist alt left terror groups.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:15 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
White nationalist has always been a "thing" and a "term." Just like black nationalist has always been a "thing" and a "term."

White nationalist are just very extreme racists. Most racist people aren't as "into" being a racist as the "nationalist" types.

ETA: Most people who have not studied history IMO are the ones who believe that white nationalist is the new term for a "racist." And this goes for everyone who believes the above - that it is a new term. Race nationalism has been discussed and written about for over 100 years...

Old 02-04-2017, 08:19 AM

39,219 posts, read 27,586,391 times
hmm

In American politics, that (white nationalist) generally means believing that America is somehow an intrinsically "white" country, where white people (generally meaning Christians of Western and Central European descent) should have political and cultural dominance.

I think people like Steve Bannon understand that to create a 100% white nation is impossible. He is TOO smart to be labeled a racist by the media. He has black employee and has made many Jews media stars. He has (according to himself), many many dear friends in Japan.. etc, etc, etc.

Do I think Steve Bannon a white nationalist? see my second paragraph, if the second paragraph is the definition of white nationalist, then yes, I believe he is. Do I think white nationalist = racist? Not necessarily.

I remember years ago, several of my Japanese friends (who are Japanese, not Japanese-American) have said to me that white people should have the political and cultural dominance in the United States. But the uneducated white supremacists should never be anywhere near politics. It is better for everybody.

I don't know what to think at the time. Obviously, saying that in the public will definitely give others an excuse or a reason to label you a racist.

I personally prefer balance of power because I think people tend to get carried away when they become too powerful. A balance of power is a state of stability between competing forces. In international relations, it refers to equilibrium among countries or alliances to prevent any one entity from becoming too strong and, thus, gaining the ability to enforce its will upon the rest. This is a common aspect of political realism, where self-preservation is a primary guiding principle. It often leads to nations forging alliances with others due to expediency rather than shared ideologies. During the Cold War, NATO and the Warsaw Pact frequently operated with a balance of power in mind, fearful that "unbalancing" actions would trigger greater conflicts or even nuclear war.

Thing is, There are no well-defined boundaries between the standard groupings, and no meaningful rules for deciding boundary cases. So, we have to rely on self-identification. Based on self-identification, whites are the majority in the United States and likely to remain that way for some time. The proportion of those who identify as white who also identify as Latino or Hispanic is rising, however, and likely before long the quasigroup "non-Hispanic white" will no longer command a majority, but only a plurality.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:27 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
hmm

In American politics, that (white nationalist) generally means believing that America is somehow an intrinsically "white" country, where white people (generally meaning Christians of Western and Central European descent) should have political and cultural dominance.

I think people like Steve Bannon understand that to create a 100% white nation is impossible. He is TOO smart to be labeled a racist by the media. He has black employee and has made many Jews media stars. He has (according to himself), many many dear friends in Japan.. etc, etc, etc.

Do I think Steve Bannon a white nationalist? see my second paragraph, if the second paragraph is the definition of white nationalist, then yes, I believe he is. Do I think white nationalist = racist? Not necessarily.

I remember years ago, several of my Japanese friends (who are Japanese, not Japanese-American) have said to me that white people should have the political and cultural dominance in the United States. But the uneducated white supremacists should never be anywhere near politics. It is better for everybody.

I don't know what to think at the time. Obviously, saying that in the public will definitely give others an excuse or a reason to label you a racist.

I personally prefer balance of power because I think people tend to get carried away when they become too powerful. A balance of power is a state of stability between competing forces. In international relations, it refers to equilibrium among countries or alliances to prevent any one entity from becoming too strong and, thus, gaining the ability to enforce its will upon the rest. This is a common aspect of political realism, where self-preservation is a primary guiding principle. It often leads to nations forging alliances with others due to expediency rather than shared ideologies. During the Cold War, NATO and the Warsaw Pact frequently operated with a balance of power in mind, fearful that "unbalancing" actions would trigger greater conflicts or even nuclear war.

Thing is, There are no well-defined boundaries between the standard groupings, and no meaningful rules for deciding boundary cases. So, we have to rely on self-identification. Based on self-identification, whites are the majority in the United States and likely to remain that way for some time. The proportion of those who identify as white who also identify as Latino or Hispanic is rising, however, and likely before long the quasigroup "non-Hispanic white" will no longer command a majority, but only a plurality.
On the bold, I agree with you that this is what many white nationalist believe. However, I do consider Steve Bannon to be a white nationalist and white supremacist (most white nationalist are also white supremacist - they believe the white "race" is superior to others and should dominate them). Just because he realizes he cannot have a homogenous "white nation" and just because he associates with non-white people doesn't mean he is not a white nationalist or a white supremacist.

FWIW I know many black nationalist. They believe that the black "race" is superior to all others and is the "original man." They are racist and have a supremacist worldview. I find it interesting that many white people admit that black nationalist are "racist" and that their ideology is ridiculous, yet those same white people cannot see the white nationalist - who aren't the skinhead/nazi types in the same way. FWIW many of the black nationalists I know are not involved in any sorts of protest. They feel that that is beneath them. They have "white friends" and other non-black friends. Regardless they are still black nationalists and they are still supremacist racist. People who make excuses for one form of extremism over another based on that group's identity being similar to their own IMO are hypocrites. Not saying you do this lily but I have seen and heard many posters here and people I know IRL basically take up for and make excuses for whites who hold that other people - based on either culture or skin color - are inferior or superior to another group. Those views are subjective (and FWIW its' interesting that this thread has now devolved into one that portrays the white nationalist sympathizers on the forum and the white supremacist who view their own culture as "superior" to another). They are based on a "supremacist" worldview and it is too bad as a species - we humans are one species - that many amongst us, all over the world would seek to claim that one group is superior to another based solely on their appearance and perceived culture based on that appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies