Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Christians, how do you imagine the world without *any* religion? How do you lean politically? (P
I lean conservative. Without religion, the world would be chaotic, amoral, crazy, and dangerous. 11 57.89%
I lean conservative. Without religion, the world would be boring, barren, empty and dull. 3 15.79%
I lean liberal. Without religion, the world would be chaotic, amoral, crazy, and dangerous. 2 10.53%
I lean liberal. Without religion, the world would be boring, barren, empty and dull. 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 10:49 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Human nature is such that we will always seek purpose even when none exists.
Humans need meaning. Without meaning, what is there?

"The truth was, that life was meaningless. Every day of life, every step in it, brought me, as it were, nearer the precipice, and I saw clearly that before me there was nothing but ruin. And to stop was impossible; to go back was impossible; and it was impossible to shut my eyes so as not to see that there was nothing before me but suffering and actual death, absolute annihilation...

I could not attribute a reasonable motive to any single act in my whole life. I was only astonished that I could not have realized this at the very beginning. All this had so long been known to me! Illness and death would come, if not today, then tomorrow, to those whom I loved, to myself, and nothing remains but stench and worms. All my acts, whatever I did, would sooner or later be forgotten, and I myself be nowhere. Why, then, busy one's self with anything? How could men fail to see this, and live?

It is possible to live only as long as life intoxicates us; as soon as we are sober again we see that it is all a delusion, and a stupid delusion! In this, indeed, there is nothing either ludicrous or amusing; it is only cruel and stupid!" - Leo Tolstoy

I feel like atheists fall into two categories.

1) Materialists, who's only goal is to have as much pleasure as they can have before they die. To try to avoid any and all suffering, at all costs.

2) Nihilists, who largely have given up on life, and for the most-part, merely exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 11:01 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times
Well, I'm not religious, so I won't vote, but I'll offer my input. I consider myself an agnostic, sometimes even going with agnostic Christian, for context. I make a point to say I do not believe in a personal god, as I find this notion to be rather egotistical (sorry to anyone that offends; I know it's the foundation of a lot of modern religious views). I think Jesus had good moral character and represents something beautiful and I believe the Bible (as well as other religious texts) offers wisdom and insight, as well as often being beautifully written. I think there could be a 'creator God' but make no claims affirming or disproving it.

A world without religion would look the same. For all the good things it does, it does a bad thing. Religion is just one of many categories that humans place themselves in. It's been used to start and end wars. While I think many feel without religion, science would have progressed and peace would be acheived, I find this view hopelessly idealistic and intellectually dishonest as it ignores all other facets of human behavior. Religion has justified wars, but so had democarcy, freedom, nationalism, etc. Nationalism, I would argue, was the root cause of both World Wars; should we get rid of nation states too? And some want that. There's this growing nihilistic individualism that is plaguing the west, blaming all of the world's ill on any institution they can identify, which I feel only alienates people and makes them less concerned for the well being of others. I'll make a point to say that religion can very much bring people together, just as it can tear them apart, but it's one of many things that can do this and getting rid of it would likely be inconsequential.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:15 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That's an illogical question and could never be answered because it's impossible. The world was created by God and his DNA is implanted on the soul of every living being that has or shall ever exist including the non-living. Everything else is just excuses created by arrogance.
I read posts like this and I never know if it is tongue in cheek or serious. It is meant to be funny, right? I mean nobody really believes what is posted here.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:19 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Humans need meaning. Without meaning, what is there?

There is plenty of meaning - we are DNA reproduction machines just like every living organism on this planet. We just happen to have a large mass of neural matter in our heads which allows us to get in all sorts of mischief and dream up fantasies like god and heaven.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:24 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The poll would have made more sense if you stuck with "Christianity" instead of the generic "religion". I think Christianity has been a positive influence on the world, whereas I think Isalm has been a negative influence. Judaism would have been positive if not for the establishment of A Jewish state of Israel which is the source of much turmoil in the Middle East. Buddhism and other religions have been a positive influence.
All religions has the potential to be both a positive and negative influence on the world it occupies, if you look at your statements there is room for interpretation.

Christianity has been as much a negative influence as a positive one depending on how it has been applied. Much of the world conflicts has been in the name of this religion and even today the legacy of these actions taints how others respond to the west.

Islam was spread through their regions often by force, not much different then the original way Christianity was spread. They exposed the world to art, science, mathematics but because they worshipped differently they were condemned by the Christian west.

Buddhism seems to just doing their thing with out offending anyone, not bad.

Judaism stepped out of line because they wanted their historic homeland after Christians masterminded their almost total genocide, how dare them. Deal with it...

Open your eyes and read some history books all faiths can be a positive or negative influence but it all depends on the men who are using it. As for my position it's not the belief in a higher being that I have a problem with, its the earth bound administration I don't like.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:29 AM

1,073 posts, read 622,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I'm Christian and my answer isn't a choice. You present only extremes. I am moderate and I think the world would pretty much be the same without religion as it is now. It's not like if there were no religion, it would be replaced by something else. To see this, look to atheistsas a group. They aren't amoral or dangerous and they aren't dull or empty either. They have personal philosophies, moral codes, political ideals, passions, etc.
Tend to agree; I'm a moderate Christian as well

Old 02-11-2017, 11:31 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That's an illogical question and could never be answered because it's impossible. The world was created by God and his DNA is implanted on the soul of every living being that has or shall ever exist including the non-living. Everything else is just excuses created by arrogance.
Assuming what you're saying is a fact (which is not necessarily the case), this doesn't actually answer the OPs question. God can exist independently of religion.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:32 AM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really?

There were hundreds of millions if not billions of people on this Earth before Jesus was ever born. Why didn't they need him?
Judaism had the prophets -other religions as Buddhism, Islam, Hindu. etc etc I have NO clue- I said I would be dust--with our Jesus, and he did not like religion-- that's MY choice- do as you please--
but its has been said by scholars-- if man has no known God-- it invents one--

Old 02-11-2017, 11:34 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
This says it all for me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwUGSYDKUxU

Old 02-11-2017, 11:36 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I read posts like this and I never know if it is tongue in cheek or serious. It is meant to be funny, right? I mean nobody really believes what is posted here.
Oh, you had better believe that allen is serious....He's an extreme thumper....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies