Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Christians, how do you imagine the world without *any* religion? How do you lean politically? (P
I lean conservative. Without religion, the world would be chaotic, amoral, crazy, and dangerous. 11 57.89%
I lean conservative. Without religion, the world would be boring, barren, empty and dull. 3 15.79%
I lean liberal. Without religion, the world would be chaotic, amoral, crazy, and dangerous. 2 10.53%
I lean liberal. Without religion, the world would be boring, barren, empty and dull. 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 09:46 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times

Advertisements

Just an unscientific thought experiment.

Blah, poll question cut off. The last bit says to "pick the closest response", since of course there are no true absolutes.

Quick clarification: This is of course a hypothetical scenario. Whether or not you desire to live in a theocracy, just imagine a world with no religious adherence at all.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 02-03-2017 at 09:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 09:50 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,508 times
I'm a Christian but have no desire to live in a theocracy. Just look at the history of religious wars and persecutions among Christians themselves!

Old 02-03-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I'm a Christian but have no desire to live in a theocracy. Just look at the history of religious wars and persecutions among Christians themselves!
Agreed, but what about a hypothetical world with no religion at all?

Old 02-03-2017, 09:52 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
That's an illogical question and could never be answered because it's impossible. The world was created by God and his DNA is implanted on the soul of every living being that has or shall ever exist including the non-living. Everything else is just excuses created by arrogance.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That's an illogical question and could never be answered because it's impossible. The world was created by God and his DNA is implanted on the soul of every living being that has or shall ever exist including the non-living. Everything else is just excuses created by arrogance.
To clarify, I mean if nobody was religious -- if they didn't recognize (or acknowledge) God's creation and existence. This is just a hypothetical to get some psychological perspective in how political stances can develop.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:57 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,314 times
How about the world with no political parties. Better yet a world with no political parties and no countries and one language.

As if religion is the only thing dividing people.

Not that political parties are not religions themselves, they are.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
How about the world with no political parties. Better yet a world with no political parties and no countries and one language.

As if religion is the only thing dividing people.

Not that political parties are not religions themselves, they are.
That would be nice. I did give Esperanto a fair go.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:05 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,480,798 times
I'm Christian and my answer isn't a choice. You present only extremes. I am moderate and I think the world would pretty much be the same without religion as it is now. It's not like if there were no religion, it would be replaced by something else. To see this, look to atheistsas a group. They aren't amoral or dangerous and they aren't dull or empty either. They have personal philosophies, moral codes, political ideals, passions, etc.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:07 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
I'm open to all religions and philosophies that benefit us. It's natural to want to understand the origin of humankind and life and there are competing ideas and it's impossible to know the validity of the religions (Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu) versus evolution or other competing theories (alien technology). I'm open to all but I think the creation theory (religion or alien technology) in conjunction with the Big Bang seems to me to be the most probable.

I consider myself a Libertarian/Conservative and sometimes liberal.

About no religions, we have seen mass extinction by non-religionists when they have had a brief bout of power so I think a non religious world would be destroyed by war within a fairly short period of time.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:11 PM

21,121 posts, read 19,703,590 times
The poll would have made more sense if you stuck with "Christianity" instead of the generic "religion". I think Christianity has been a positive influence on the world, whereas I think Isalm has been a negative influence. Judaism would have been positive if not for the establishment of A Jewish state of Israel which is the source of much turmoil in the Middle East. Buddhism and other religions have been a positive influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies