Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 08:00 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,137,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I'm no fan of the burqa, but I fail to see how forcing a woman to remove hers is anything other than a new form of oppression.

I do agree with the poster who said anything that obscures the face should be disallowed in situations where it may be necessary to identify a person. No hoodies, hats, or sunglasses = no burqa. Otherwise, no dice.
It is not the burqa that is prohibited, it is the veil that covers the face. They can still wear the rest of it, including the parts that cover their head, neck, and other non-face parts of the body.

Quote:
Items concealing the face in public places, such as the full Islamic veil, medical masks and scarves to cover faces have been outlawed.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:07 AM

25,918 posts, read 22,070,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Muslim woman forced to remove her veil in Austria | Daily Mail Online

Good, we shouldn't allow this oppressive garbage in western countries! And any woman that is so brainwashed/stupid to actually think it's a great thing should go back to the middle east. No sympathy for them while their brothers are raping western women.
It is about security, not oppression. Actually, in their belief, a woman that is raped is at fault for the rape, unless her rapist or 4 males that saw it attest to it being the rapist, I think that is why they cover themselves so completely. There are women that are working for change, let's hope more of them join the cause, as this change must come from within the community. They have a LOT to do in Islam when comes to treating women like humans.

Since it is just the "veil", I don't think it will make much difference in reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 08:32 AM

1,261 posts, read 949,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It is not the burqa that is prohibited, it is the veil that covers the face. They can still wear the rest of it, including the parts that cover their head, neck, and other non-face parts of the body.
Just an FYI - a burqa is a single piece of cloth that covers the entire body, including the face with a small screen over the eyes. Niqab is similar, but has an actual opening for the eyes. You couldn't actually wear either without covering the face, because the veil is part of the definition of what they are. Hijab covers the hair and usually the neck, but not the face. Without the veil, you're wearing hijab.

I agree that forcing a woman not to wear an article of clothing is no better than forcing her to wear it. However, if the rule is that the face must be uncovered for security reasons and other non-religious face coverings are also prohibited, that makes sense and is equitable.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:39 AM

34,219 posts, read 18,550,731 times
What about for Halloween? Do they "lift" the ban for that day?

Last edited by Pilot1; 10-02-2017 at 09:06 AM..

Old 10-02-2017, 09:05 AM

1,300 posts, read 958,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Ban the men who think that women should wear a burqa.

This is actually a big part of the solution. Ban foreign funding for mosques like Austria did in order to stop the gulf state wahabbi influence. Decrease the number of middle east born clerics in favor of domestically bred moderate/liberal clerics.

The burqa and headscarf are not about piety, its about politics. It is a conservative cleric devised tactic for maintaining a wall of cultural sepration btw muslims and their neighboring communities in order to keep them conservative and different so that liberal ideas don't penetrate into their community. For this reason and security purposes the full burqa should be banned and the headscarf should be critiqued and criticized.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:43 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,453,662 times
I have no problem with the ban. My sympathies are with Muslim women. Walking at the park throughout the summer in 90 degree heat, it does not escape anyone that something is wrong when only women have to comply with a cultural dress code. Men and young children dress in western wear: shorts and tees. Women and girls from a certain age are covered from head to foot. It's depressing to look at knowing that they have to be stewing from the heat and humidity.

Their men should be required to dress the same way or everybody in western wear.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:48 PM

39,838 posts, read 26,470,585 times
Austria bans the public display of Nazi symbols as well. Good to see them extending this policy to a more violent, regressive, hate group.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:50 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,139,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Austria bans the burqa – POLITICO

I am all for it! We shouldn't allow oppressive forms of such things to be allowed.
1st amendment says your opinion doesn't matter.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:58 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,701,522 times
Good! Wearing a full head covering is a safety issue.

On another note, if you want a better life outside of your home country, why not put aside one of the things that makes your home country a bad place to live?

Old 10-02-2017, 02:31 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,590,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I consider people who abstain from sex before marriage because their religion tells them so to be awfully oppressed. I wonder if we could ban that?
In my thirties, I abstained from sex before marriage for a few years in order to not get trapped into bad dating habits. Throughout my twenties, I remained in some awful relationships by justifying them with sex. I also dated some very annoying women in order to sleep with them because they looked good.

When you date someone because you really enjoy their company, you tend to be in much better relationships.

Ask some guys if they ever stayed in a relationship for sex. I'd bet at least half have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies