Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 06:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Though I love the touching mother-daughter relationship, I hate this ad.

It normalizes that boondoggle of a wall.

I agree with Jorge Pérez, a Miami-based billionaire real estate developer who has built several Trump-branded buildings, and has declined President Donald Trump’s offer to build his proposed Mexican border wall, calling the proposal “the most idiotic thing I have ever seen or heard in my life.”

“A wall for what? You think a wall is going to stop people that are hungry?

Trump Asked A Contractor To Build The Wall. His Response is PERFECT
Or people who are making money hand over foot in the drug trade? Yeah - won't work.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:28 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
One, Mexican illegal immigration has been declining for almost ten years now.

Two, Mexican border officials do actively work to stop Mexicans from leaving the country.

Your statement is misleading. The problem is illegal aliens coming over the border from Mexico. Not necessarily Mexican nationals since there was a big push of central americans and other OTM's crossing illegally into the US under Obama.

How is Mexico stopping Mexicans from leaving Mexico? They don't patrol the border. At the ports of entry they don't track who leaves the country. Only thing they are concerned with is collecting taxes on goods entering Mexico.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:29 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The reason they "sneak in" is because we do not exactly stand at the borders with open arms or make it easy to become a citizen. It takes years, and we limit how many can apply. In the meantime, some of these people are being slaughtered by their own countries, and others simply want a better life for their families.

I've known a few illegals who came here from Mexico, and they have all been just like us. Family people who want a better life for their kids than they had. All of them were hard workers, a lot harder than any American I know, and they kept their noses clean and tried to fit in.

But we really don't care, do we ?
I know a few people who are here illegally or who came here illegally and then became legal. None of them fit the profile some have painted of the criminal rapist illegals who come here to kill and rob Americans. Not one. All of them are hard workers who just want to live a peaceful life and give their children a better start in life than they themselves had.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
They need to tighten up their game then, considering that 1 in 10 Mexican citizens live in the US, either legally or illegally.
Are you proposing that Mexico should restrict its citizens from leaving, legally?

Old 02-07-2017, 06:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yep and that statement speaks to the difficulties today's immigrants face in coming here. Some of us like to tout how our ancestors came here legally as if they were morally superior. They weren't. They just didn't have to jump through so many hoops and pay such exorbitant fees to get here and become American. I wonder how many of our ancestors would not be able to come here if today's laws were in effect 150 years ago.
OMG. Yeah, because a 2 month transocean ride on a wooden ship, which many had to sell everything they had just to be able to afford, is ever so much easier.

And some of those on those wooden ships came here in shackles.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Your statement is misleading. The problem is illegal aliens coming over the border from Mexico. Not necessarily Mexican nationals since there was a big push of central americans and other OTM's crossing illegally into the US under Obama.

How is Mexico stopping Mexicans from leaving Mexico? They don't patrol the border. At the ports of entry they don't track who leaves the country. Only thing they are concerned with is collecting taxes on goods entering Mexico.
Neither of my statements are misleading.

Both are accurate and verifiable. Policia Federal (National Police) and the Marina (Navy) do patrol the Mexican border.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:40 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
The commercial was offensive to me. They act like this big journey by these two (least harmful of all mom and little girl) are trying to reach the promised land and it's devastating to find a wall. The reality is that the brain drain from Central and South America is harmful to those countries. The wall would actually benefit them down the road, because then people would stay there and demand better living and working conditions.

When something in your house breaks, you don't go squat at your neighbor's house and tell him it's his moral duty to let you live there, but it's okay because you'll clean and help out around the house. You fix your own house.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The commercial was offensive to me. They act like this big journey by these two (least harmful of all mom and little girl) are trying to reach the promised land and it's devastating to find a wall. The reality is that the brain drain from Central and South America is harmful to those countries. The wall would actually benefit them down the road, because then people would stay there and demand better living and working conditions.

When something in your house breaks, you don't go squat at your neighbor's house and tell him it's his moral duty to let you live there, but it's okay because you'll clean and help out around the house. You fix your own house.
Why hasn't this happened already then? Really. Think about it.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:48 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Exactly, if you are poor unless you literally win a lottery you can't legally immigrate
The point is that the poor aren't legally permitted to immigrate:

Sec. 212. [8 U.S.C. 1182] (4)

Public charge

Any alien who, in the opinion of the consular officer at the time of application for a visa, or in the opinion of the Attorney General at the time of application for admission or adjustment of status, is likely at any time to become a public charge is inadmissible.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
And why isn't the Mexican President embarrassed by the number of people who want to flee their own country?
DING DING DING DING! THIS is the billion dollar question right here. One would think, with millions of people having already fled and many more waiting to, some risking their very lives to follow suit that some kind of bell would go off in someone's head wondering why the hell it's happening and how do we fix it.

I could go through a litany of reasons why they don't "seem" to care but I'll leave that to the imagination of my esteemed fellow posters to flesh out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies