Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 03:08 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times

Advertisements

I'll watch this later but no one is forcing people to use the guns unlawfully so....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 03:31 PM

435 posts, read 430,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
How is it any easier for the gang member to get a gun in Indiana than in Chicago?
It's very easy in Indiana vs Chicago.

Indiana: Go to a gun show in Indiana, show your driver's license and buy whatever you want (high capacity clips, semi-automatic, AR-15, whatever). No background check required. Doesn't matter if you have an IL drivers license or a Chicago address. They will sell it to you.

Chicago: In Chicago/Cook County there are very few gun stores, all transactions are videotaped and subject to police review, you have to get a special FOID card issued by the police to buy a gun or own a gun. Plus if you want to have a handgun in the city of Chicago you have to go through a special class to get a special Chicago Firearm Permit. This costs something like $100 and you have to actually attend a class over the course of several days with a written and performance test.

For anyone who doesn't know, the city of Chicago and Indiana share a border. It's not like a 3 hour drive or anything.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:40 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've mentioned this before. We don't have a gun problem. We have a criminal problem. Criminals do things like this. MS13, Crips, Bloods, Zoe Pound, Neo-Nazis, Russian Mafia, Mexican Mafia, Surenos, Nortenos, TRG, Azn Boyz, you name it.

I know guns can get stolen. Question is, how do said criminals know who to target for stealing guns, that is something I'm wondering. I know people who own guns, but they've never had issues with gun theft.

Finding a gun in a burglary is usually just dumb luck. Most gun owners secure their weapons well .I sure do. Nobody is going to make off with them should they even manage to get in. They'd have to have a cutting torch to take my guns. But government stuff, it's not as hard as you might think. Especially for the "security" personnel.

In all of the numerous high level thefts of government hardware I've seen, when anyone was actually caught they were involved in the security dept. Of all the stuff that came up missing, only one rifle was actually recovered. An M14, and it was found , quite by luck, in Canada. Of all places. It was one of a lot of 20 that were taken. There's big money in stolen government weapons and material. Handguns are a biggie. They are the most in demand by the gangs such as you mentioned, for obvious reasons of high capacity and concealment.

Stolen civilian guns make up a pretty small percentage of guns that end up with the heavy weight criminals like gangs. And the idea of straw purchases being so huge is laughable. Sometimes criminals smash and grab gun stores, but security measures usually make that problematic. Doesn't happen that often where they make off with much. Specific targeting of civilians with guns in mind is even rarer. Happens more often that a family member with a drug problem who knows the combo to the safe steals a couple guns to sell or trade for their habit than stranger thieves.

Like you said, its the criminals, not the guns. And the biggest source of stolen guns is government stores.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:41 PM

435 posts, read 430,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't think guns are being "put" into Black communities. Consider this. Chicago is long known for some of the strictest gun laws in the nation. Gang member wants a gun, he can go to Indiana next door and get a gun. Baltimore, even more strict, guns can get brought in from states further away, like Georgia. People are going to get theirs no matter what. And why is a Black person having a gun such a problem?
Yes, you definitely have people crossing the IL state line and buying firearms at gun shows in Northwest Indiana. This is happening.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:52 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
Yes, you definitely have people crossing the IL state line and buying firearms at gun shows in Northwest Indiana. This is happening.

Yes, it's probably true. But to think this is where the criminals are getting their weapons is not. The shear number of illegal weapons getting to criminals precludes straw purchases as a source for the short list. As it does civilian thefts. Think about this. When weapons are seized from gangs and other criminal organizations of note, how often is it reported where those weapons actually came from? Oh, it makes for great film at 11 showing Glocks, Sigs, Berrettas, M4s, AKs and such being taken out and loaded in police vans. But as to where they actually got all that firepower, not a word is even whispered. Unless it's about gun shows or civilian thefts, but this stuff isn't coming from such places. We also see a certain commonality with weapons among these gangs. Specific types and calibers are in profusion. I already listed some of the most common.

Some of these may have been stolen from someone's house, but straw purchased at a gun store in another state or at a gun show is very unlikely. No matter where it was purchased, store or show, it leaves a paper trail. Background checks are required on ALL dealer purchased guns, and the infamous parking lot sales still can't account for the shear numbers of weapons hitting the streets. The greater percentage of such sales are by lawful citizens, and not ones with gun running interests.

Those specific weapons I mentioned, in various models and calibers, all have one thing in common. They are ubiquitous with the armed forces and law enforcement and are also in the illegal weapons trade worldwide. Our right of civilian ownership and purchase is not the factor many would have us believe it is for criminals getting their hands on weapons. Yes, there are is a fair number that get stolen from careless owners, and a few ( not many in the big picture) might have been purchased from lawful owners and then wound up with the bad guys. But hardly the lions share.

What I know of personally, that came up missing from just two military installations over the years is pretty mind blowing. And that's just firearms. Not counting the other goodies. It's impossible for me to buy into the anti gun propaganda about where all the weapons are coming from. I know better.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:57 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:

Indiana: Go to a gun show in Indiana, show your driver's license and buy whatever you want (high capacity clips, semi-automatic, AR-15, whatever). No background check required. Doesn't matter if you have an IL drivers license or a Chicago address. They will sell it to you.

Chicago: In Chicago/Cook County there are very few gun stores, all transactions are videotaped and subject to police review, you have to get a special FOID card issued by the police to buy a gun or own a gun. Plus if you want to have a handgun in the city of Chicago you have to go through a special class to get a special Chicago Firearm Permit. This costs something like $100 and you have to actually attend a class over the course of several days with a written and performance test.

For anyone who doesn't know, the city of Chicago and Indiana share a border. It's not like a 3 hour drive or anything.
Except handguns. Out of state sales between private individuals of handguns is illegal. That is federal law, and has been since 1968. The only way to purchase out of state is to go to a FFL dealer in that state, fill out a 4473 and have it shipped to a FFL dealer in your state. Then go to them, pay a fee, do another 4473 and background check...and finally get your property. Stupid, isn't it?

Old 02-05-2017, 07:11 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:

Regarding the bold: If Illinois residents are regularly going to Indiana gun shows and taking guns home with them, it's only because they're federally licensed firearm dealers. I'm skeptical that people are buying or selling guns illegally right out in the open at these gun shows without any fear of getting arrested in such volume to be a significant source of guns in Chicago. Why go to Indiana to acquire a handgun illegally if it's already easy to acquire one illegally in Chicago?

I suspect this is a more significant source of illegal guns in Chicago than Indiana gun shows.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:21 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Regarding the bold: If Illinois residents are regularly going to Indiana gun shows and taking guns home with them, it's only because they're federally licensed firearm dealers. I'm skeptical that people are buying or selling guns illegally right out in the open at these gun shows without any fear of getting arrested in such volume to be a significant source of guns in Chicago. Why go to Indiana to acquire a handgun illegally if it's already easy to acquire one illegally in Chicago?

I suspect this is a more significant source of illegal guns in Chicago than Indiana gun shows.
There reàlly is no lie or misstatement of fact antigunners won't spout is there?

Old 02-05-2017, 07:24 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
I wonder why they don't have a gun problem in Indiana since they are such lax gun laws that cause so much crime in Chicago

Old 02-05-2017, 07:24 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times
I remember seeing another video about this supposedly happening in L.A with their gangs. A gang member mentioned them finding guns near rail roads. But one thing to think about is if someone is leaving these free guns for gang members to find then I would think most of these gangs members would be more into selling these guns for easy money rather than keeping them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies