Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 05:06 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
In my experience (as a white person), the only white people who are really bothered by this are racists. I mean, you can make an intellectually defensible argument that paying special homage to historically black universities is racist towards the other ones, but most people understand the history (and present) of racism in this country so they don't really get bothered by things like special attention to black history or institutions. The people who are bothered by it usually have an unspoken agenda that is rooted in their own bigotry.
The fact that your skin color is white does not make your statement any more valid, but you did feel the need to mention it. Maybe it is you that has some underlying bigotry rooted in you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 05:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
In a nutshell-
Black pride said the black person.
White pride said the racist.
I know this is really complicated, but let's se if I can explain this to you.

Taking pride In your heritage - not a problem

Taking pride in your heritage and saying everyone who is not from your group is inferior, subhuman, stupid or a terrorist is a problem and racist.

You can celebrate your heritage all you want. Just don't use it as an excuse to hate on mine.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:07 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
NFL holds an on field ceremony to pay homage to NFL players from BLACK Universities...

No NFL players from predominately White universities honored, at all.
I can't believe you even saw that. Didn't Republicans stop watching football because Colin Kaepernick didn't stand for the national anthem in September?

Old 02-05-2017, 05:08 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
It is Black History Month! Sheesh
It's also National Weatherman's Day but I didn't see Al Roker out there.

But that would support the patriarchy...weatherman.

These rules are just so confusing.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:11 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
It is Black History Month! Sheesh
Not only that, while we have been playing football pro since 1922, black people weren't allowed in until 1946.

College football started in 1869. And the teams didn't integrate until 100 years later in 1970.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:13 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,811,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
The fact that your skin color is white does not make your statement any more valid, but you did feel the need to mention it. Maybe it is you that has some underlying bigotry rooted in you.
No, I mentioned it because I know that white people will say racist things around other white people that they wouldn't say to non-white people. White people know the racism of other whites more precisely than anybody else because we have to listen to that crap.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I know this is really complicated, but let's se if I can explain this to you.

Taking pride In your heritage - not a problem

Taking pride in your heritage and saying everyone who is not from your group is inferior, subhuman, stupid or a terrorist is a problem and racist.

You can celebrate your heritage all you want. Just don't use it as an excuse to hate on mine.
I've actually never heard this mentioned by anyone ever. Well that is except for saying that black athletes are superior athletes and overall more physically capable than any other race. Turn on the superbowl right now and see what the ratio is. Is that racist?

Old 02-05-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
No, I mentioned it because I know that white people will say racist things around other white people that they wouldn't say to non-white people. White people know the racism of other whites more precisely than anybody else because we have to listen to that crap.
Jeez shows what type of people you choose to associate with. Like I said rooted. Nevertheless you don't think members of other races behave this way?

Old 02-05-2017, 05:16 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Who are you folks hanging around with?

Old 02-05-2017, 05:17 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,811,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
Jeez shows what type of people you choose to associate with. Like I said rooted. Nevertheless you don't think members of other races behave this way?
I grew up in a small town and work in a blue collar profession. It isn't the people I choose to associate with, it is the people I can't help but be around. Rural America is full of racists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies