Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 11:52 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
A human life vs. a stack of diapers. Yeah. Tough decision.
That is not the scenario that is displayed in the article.
How about several criminals threatening two innocent people? That is what the news report describes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 11:56 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I'm making presumptions here. I doubt there is a big underground need for diapers.
You would presume wrong. There is a booming black market in poor neighborhoods for expensive consumable household necessities like diapers, baby formula, and laundry detergent. These items are much easier for thieves to liquidate (at a substantial discount from the store price) than electronics, jewelry, and other non-necessities.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:04 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
If it was me, I'm letting the jerk run off with the diapers. Sorry - I'm not going to risk my life to save Wal Mart's profits. At the same time I don't have much concern for the guy who lost his life -- that is the risk you take, when crime is how you earn your living.
Yea that was basically my take as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I was in a local liquor store getting some beer after work years ago. The owner was at the counter behind me and some guy was ahead of me in line. He asked for something further down and when she (clerk) went down the aisle this guy ran for the door with two twelvers. The owner took out a revolver and emptied it at the guy and missed 6 times.

As I stood there in disbelief the guy apologized to me and said he'd had enough. The cops didn't do anything when called and he was sick of it.

I never went back.
Holy sh*t I would never go back either. Jesus.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I know for certain some will praise this guy as a 'hero' and that those criminals deserved to die.

My question is, why did that employee decide to try and be a 'hero' and make things worse? Clearly he made the situation worse, by not calling the police and letting them sort it out. The other customer is lucky no innocent bystanders got hurt. And isn't it store policy NOT to engage with shoplifters like this?

It reminds me of that incident in a Texas mall. A couple of jewelry thieves were making their way out of the store, when a customer decides to be a 'hero' and pull out his gun and confront them. An innocent bystander was hurt from the gunfire. All of it preventable.

Customer shoots, kills diaper-theft suspect at Pine Hills Wal-Mart - Orlando Sentinel
Floriduh! What do you expect?

Old 02-07-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Floriduh! What do you expect?
All the nuts roll downhill to Florida.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:10 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
This is pretty sketchy sounding. As a concealed carrier, my ultimate goal is to never insert myself into a situation. This guy was just asking for trouble. It sucks someone was stealing from a store, but it's really none of my business. That's between the store clerk/owner and the thief.

Now if the concealed carrier was on his way out of the store and was harassed and attacked by the thieves, that's a different story.

Still, I don't think the thieves are going to get any sympathy from the police or legal system.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
This is pretty sketchy sounding. As a concealed carrier, my ultimate goal is to never insert myself into a situation. This guy was just asking for trouble. It sucks someone was stealing from a store, but it's really none of my business. That's between the store clerk/owner and the thief.

Now if the concealed carrier was on his way out of the store and was harassed and attacked by the thieves, that's a different story.

Still, I don't think the thieves are going to get any sympathy from the police or legal system.
Simple and logical: Do anything and everything in your power to avoid any physical altercations. If you have to fight, fight to kill. If you aren't willing to kill, it probably isn't an appropriate situation to be fighting in the first place.

And that applies if you are carrying a weapon or not.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:17 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times
Quote:
This was my first thought as well. However if the shooter viewed the clerk's situation as dangerous, then Alter Ego or 3rd person defense comes into play under section 776.012 of Florida statutes.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:22 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I was in a local liquor store getting some beer after work years ago. The owner was at the counter behind me and some guy was ahead of me in line. He asked for something further down and when she (clerk) went down the aisle this guy ran for the door with two twelvers. The owner took out a revolver and emptied it at the guy and missed 6 times.

As I stood there in disbelief the guy apologized to me and said he'd had enough. The cops didn't do anything when called and he was sick of it.

I never went back.

When I was in my mid 20s, the shop I worked in had a McDonalds right behind. One day, a woman wandered into the area, just aimless, walking around with no specific reason. Then,she walked up to the front windows of McDonalds and put five rounds from a 38 snubby through the glass. I was out at my truck in our parking area and saw the whole thing. I grabbed my pistol from under my seat, and went to red alert. I was only about 15-20 yards away with nothing in between.

I yelled for her to drop the weapon , and put her hands up. She just looked at me with this beatific smile and stood there, putting her hands in the front pouch of her sweat jacket,( where the gun was) and stood there. She then just let me approach and I took the gun, which was empty, and I backed off shaking like a dog s****ing peach seeds. I could have easily as shot her when she put her hands in her sweat jacket pouch, something told me not to. The cops were only minutes in getting there and the damn newsies weren't far behind.

Turns out she was a just released mental patient, cut loose from Galletie only scant hours before. Totally out of her gourd and had zero clue as to what she had done. No idea where she got the gun. Some customers and one of the restaurant managers restrained her,(though she didn't resist at all) and the cops put her in custody. They asked me why I didn't shoot her, I couldn't answer to that. I could have, maybe I should have...but I didn't and I didn't need to. I'm thankful to this day that I didn't. I still don't truly understand why. There was just something that didn't sit right, and I had got a look at her gun, I mentally ticked off five rounds when she opened up, and knew she was (probably) empty and hadn't tried to reload.

If she had actually pulled out the gun when she went to her pocket I probably would have shot her. But she didn't. I didn't see or feel a real threat. It was truly very weird. This was around 88-89. I was a very different person back then. Not near as restrained and in control of myself as I am now. So the guy in the story at issue here felt he needed to use his gun. Had I been in his shoes I may have done the same. Something told him to defend himself. I can't and won't argue with instinct. It tells us many things. His told him he was in anger of serious harm. And he listened to it. I know how that feels.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:27 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:

But it is your business. The more that is stolen from your favorite stores; the more you pay for those items - somebody always pays. It isn't only that; but the day is coming where you never get to see the products you want to buy. Many businesses are now out of business or going out of business because of increased operating cost and the up and coming online competition.

I personally like to see what I am buying. I like to look at the product and make a judgement on it's worth. It is a pain to return items that do not meet my expectations. On the other hand many are willing to buy sight unseen from the sales numbers. I have to wonder where the 'smash and grab' crowds will go when there are no stores to smash and grab from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies