Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 09:23 PM

636 posts, read 392,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Everyone who is against vetting strangers coming to your land ought to go and unlock their doors every night before they go to sleep and see how that works out for them.
Everyone who thinks a country is analogous to a house should let any citizen who wants sleep on their couch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 09:24 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I wonder if the OP asked how long it took the other people to get into the USA? I wonder if they had to go through the current 18-24 month vetting which occurs now?

He or she needs to go find them to continue the discussion, Trader Joes is a fun place to shop.
Any answer?

Old 02-05-2017, 09:27 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
What I think is really going on here is that you destroyed their narrative about how all legal immigrants from that part of the world are angry about Trump's EO
I didn't see where the OP talked to them about banning people from only specific Muslim countries, or how those with Green Cards were also detained.

He only said he talked about the extra vetting, which I don't know anyone who is against vetting immigrants or refugees.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:28 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
So they think others in their situation should go through more than they did? Not for nothing but they sound like a-holes.
That or they know their homeland better than you or me and realize that present vetting will allow radicalized extremists to get in with relative ease. While I do think that Trump's was an overreaction, the underlying reasons for it are clear enough. These nations export terrorism and we don't want to import any if we can help it. And apparently these native Somalis know all this, see the threat, don't want to see the USA turn into the same craphole and therefore support better vetting.

Trump's EO fails to get to the heart of the problem. The Islamic faith needs to fix it's own extremist problems. Nobody can really do it for them. Any non-Muslim who tries will only make matters worse.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:29 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,299,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
Yes.
Let it not be said that you have poor reading comprehension

You're comprehension the purpose of an online forum on the other hand...

I stated that I thought it 50/50 that it happened.
You seemed to take offense to that since you've been posting about it for the last hour, then say you don't give a rat's behind.

Whatever
It happened or it didn't
It means something, or it means nothing

I tried to reply to your objection and finally gave up....I just do not care about what you think that does nto mean I will not reply or comment on others....got it??

Old 02-05-2017, 09:31 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,933,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Sure a small sample but still.....

Just came back from Trader Joe's and run into a group of Somali refugees (husband, wife, wife's brother and a friend of the wife's brother) and we did strike a conversation (I was curious if they still speak a little bit of Italian because of Somalia colonial past), very nice people, two of them actually did speak some Italian. The conversation inevitably veered into the travel ban...guess what?? All four of them fully supported the extra vetting for making sure as much as possible that people with malicious intents do not get here....again all of them....
These people are not stupid, they lived through hell in their own country which does not even have a fully functioning government.

This did strike me a little bit like the pre-election assumption that 90%+ of Latinos were going for Hillary because of Trump stance on illegal immigration.....
For many the issue is not the ban itself but the way it was implemented and who and who was not on the list, not done well at all.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilAries View Post
I'm not surprised it happens because some are just more friendlier and outgoing than others.

....exactly....

Old 02-05-2017, 09:34 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,179,474 times
My friend works with a Iranian here on a visa. He's supposed to go back for a wedding in April but that's on hold now. That's the only thing that bothers him about the TEMPORARY ban

Old 02-05-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
My friend works with a Iranian here on a visa. He's supposed to go back for a wedding in April but that's on hold now. That's the only thing that bothers him about the TEMPORARY ban

...gave me a great idea...I will ask to my very friendly Muslim Iranian dentist what he thinks of this measure....

Old 02-05-2017, 09:37 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,671,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Read my original thread....

If you think I approach people asking "Are you guys immigrant??" your social skills are pretty much non-existent.

By the way, if you want to know I started to talk to them about rice when we both were looking at rice packages.
Some people cannot imagine anything beyond their own limited perceptions. Some of us are friendly and can end up conversing with others in public over anything, differently than some who assume how that comes about can imagine. I am not going to address the topic though, since this was just one instance and cannot base a lot upon it.

I will however take this opportunity to say, it bothers me that Drump believes that if he blocks those from all these places in the world, our problems will be resolved, just as if he builds a flippin' wall. What about all the Loonies that are not immigrants who have always attacked or killed others, created mass shootings, caused all kinds of problems for others due to their irrational beliefs and bullying. Gee, I don't see this Megalomanic addressing these issues, since it must be that everyone on the OUTSIDE is the problem, which plays right into his hateful follower's beliefs. He would never discuss Mental Health issues, which is at the core of anything going haywire and especially since he would never consider himself having severe, unresolved mental issues.

I will say, I would not put it past him to create a threat (staging) just so he can appear justified, saying "SEE! this is why I created a BAN! Now we are in danger!".

We are in danger, alright...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies