Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 07:44 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,003 times

Advertisements

Sure a small sample but still.....

Just came back from Trader Joe's and run into a group of Somali refugees (husband, wife, wife's brother and a friend of the wife's brother) and we did strike a conversation (I was curious if they still speak a little bit of Italian because of Somalia colonial past), very nice people, two of them actually did speak some Italian. The conversation inevitably veered into the travel ban...guess what?? All four of them fully supported the extra vetting for making sure as much as possible that people with malicious intents do not get here....again all of them....
These people are not stupid, they lived through hell in their own country which does not even have a fully functioning government.

This did strike me a little bit like the pre-election assumption that 90%+ of Latinos were going for Hillary because of Trump stance on illegal immigration.....

Last edited by saturno_v; 02-05-2017 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 07:54 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,299 times
Thanks for sharing your experience. The ignorance & generalizations by some Americans do not cease to amaze me. I am a legal immigrant & feel like the immigration process should be definitely tough. You need lots of filters in place so that the right people get through & the ones who do, will people value their rights & freedom. If you just hand it over them for free without making them work hard, they will take it for granted. Thorough vetting is necessary to keep everybody here safe. I voted for Trump for this very reason. Hurt feelings during this vetting / profiling process are manageable but physical hurt from senseless act of violence can destroy lives & families. Political correctness has made people so fragile & incapable of managing hurt emotions. If you are too open minded, your brains will fall off. You need rules & regulations in place to ensure security.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,007,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
All four of them fully supported the extra vetting for making sure as much as possible that people with malicious intents do not get here....again all of them....
I don't know anyone who is against vetting, so I'm not sure what your point is. Real life isn't what Trump likes to claim on Twitter, that people are just pouring in unchecked.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't know anyone who is against vetting, so I'm not sure what your point is. Real life isn't what Trump likes to claim on Twitter, that people are just pouring in unchecked.

What part of "these people supported the extra vetting measures" was not clear to you?

Old 02-05-2017, 08:04 PM

636 posts, read 392,423 times
Quote:
Sure a small sample but still.....

Just came back from Trader Joe's and run into a group of Somali refugees (husband, wife, wife's brother and a friend of the wife's brother) and we did strike a conversation (I was curious if they still speak a little bit of Italian because of Somalia colonial past), very nice people, two of them actually did speak some Italian. The conversation inevitably veered into the travel ban...guess what?? All four of them fully supported the extra vetting for making sure as much as possible that people with malicious intents do not get here....again all of them....
These people are not stupid, they lived through hell in their own country which does not even have a fully functioning government.

This did strike me a little bit like the pre-election assumption that 90%+ of Latinos were going for Hillary because of Trump stance on illegal immigration.....
So, they're volunteering to leave and go through the extra vetting?
You're worried they might be terrorists since they didn't go through "extreme vetting"
or everything's coo?

Also, did you know these people beforehand or were you just like, "Hey random people, are you, per chance, immigrants?"

Old 02-05-2017, 08:04 PM

13,408 posts, read 9,940,077 times
Quote:
What part of "these people supported the extra vetting measures" was not clear to you?
Well, I hope you reported them as suspicious, seeing as they got in before the extra special vetting measures, that obviously they didn't get. I mean ya never know.

Right?

Old 02-05-2017, 08:07 PM

636 posts, read 392,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Well, I hope you reported them as suspicious, seeing as they got in before the extra special vetting measures, that obviously they didn't get. I mean ya never know.

Right?
50/50 this isn't completely fabricated bull****.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post

Right?
They got in way before the Executive Order and I suspect probably not planning to travel back home until the fog clears...Why should I report anyone??

Old 02-05-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
50/50 this isn't completely fabricated bull****.

...what happen??...a real life example hit your bubble like a ton of brick??

It's ok.....it does not hurt too bad...

Old 02-05-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
So, they're volunteering to leave and go through the extra vetting?
You're worried they might be terrorists since they didn't go through "extreme vetting"
or everything's coo?

Also, did you know these people beforehand or were you just like, "Hey random people, are you, per chance, immigrants?"

I understand you are at loss for worlds and blabbering...why should they volunteer to leave??

I did talk to people occasionally on stores....I'm a human being....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies