Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 09:27 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Indians are getting more expensive, time to replace them with cheaper replacements.

Mexico is the current "low cost country", both India and China have gotten expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I used to believe this too, until I've lived in enough cities to realize that this is all BS.

Take DC Metro area for example, where nearly all IT jobs require US citizenship since the IT jobs are supporting federal projects, directly or indirectly. Yet the companies in DC Metro have been filling their positions without resorting to H1B visas (few do, but for the most part, companies like Booz Allen Hamilton, Lockheed Martin, etc, can only hire US Citizens for their projects). In commercial market where citizenship restriction does not exist, all bets are off and the race for biggest profit dictates who gets hired.

Awesome, glad you understand it. Now we just need to get countless others to.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:32 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Its Yemen and Iraq.

Their education system is different than ours. Students are often streamed into those classes at which they've shown a proficiency. Unlike the US who wants to return to the Industrial Age of shirt factories and farming, these countries do seem to understand the importance of teaching students for the future economy.
You are on point, Yemen is leaving us in the dust with their tech madrassas. Our country would collapse if we cant import these engineers.

America had very little immigration from around 1924 to 1965 during our most prosperous period , we won world war 2 and in the postwar period we became the preeminent great power ,made space exploration a priority and made a manned mission to the moon a national priority,the middle class swelled, as did the GDP and productivity.

All of this postwar prosperity and technological progress came with very little immigration, but now we need to import people from Yemen?

Old 02-06-2017, 09:38 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
You are on point, Yemen is leaving us in the dust with their tech madrassas. Our country would collapse if we cant import these engineers.

America had very little immigration from around 1924 to 1965 during our most prosperous period , we won world war 2 and in the postwar period we became the preeminent great power ,made space exploration a priority and made a manned mission to the moon a national priority,the middle class swelled, as did the GDP and productivity.

All of this postwar prosperity and technological progress came with very little immigration, but now we need to import people from Yemen?
Yeah it doesn't make much sense. But much of the liberal agenda doesn't make sense these days.

In Los Angeles they are telling us that illegal immigrants are great contributors to the economy and they keep crime down.
One big problem is they lie and mix in stats about LEGAL immigrants to talk about illegal ones.
They stopped even calling them illegal and now just call them 'immigrants'.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:39 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I used to believe this too, until I've lived in enough cities to realize that this is all BS.

Take DC Metro area for example, where nearly all IT jobs require US citizenship since the IT jobs are supporting federal projects, directly or indirectly. Yet the companies in DC Metro have been filling their positions without resorting to H1B visas (few do, but for the most part, companies like Booz Allen Hamilton, Lockheed Martin, etc, can only hire US Citizens for their projects). In commercial market where citizenship restriction does not exist, all bets are off and the race for biggest profit dictates who gets hired.
That is incorrect. My co-worker was an H1B from India and worked at Lockheed Martin and was able to obtain a clearance.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:42 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
This is about the most idiotic thing I have read so far in this thread.

It's clear you don't understand that the US just does not have a high number of top scientists and engineers to choose from. This is the reason we import so many from abroad. The US is full of STEM illiterate folks.

It's important to have top notch scientists and engineers...it's what drives discovery and innovation, which contributes to a countries economy.

^^ totally this

Computer programming should be in all high schools. Emphasis from parents should be on their kids learning math and science. Our public schools need serious overhauls. Obviously not going to happen with that hack they're trying to get in to lead that position, but also requires parents at the local level to push for these things. Stop letting the system force the schools to lump the brightest in with the dimmest and teach at a level appropriate for the dimmest. When you focus your schools around the lowest denominator everyone suffers.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:42 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,224 times
No, the top people don't live in Syria.

HOWEVER, it's a matter of principle and slippery slopes. If tech companies (i work for a big one) allow this, you will pursue worse stuff...slippery slope.

Also, let's me clear....the BEST and the BRIGHTEST are OFTEN minorities or international students.
If you don't like it, quit complaining and WORK on becoming better. There is nothing worse than crybabies
who refuse to work hard

Old 02-06-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
This is about the most idiotic thing I have read so far in this thread.

It's clear you don't understand that the US just does not have a high number of top scientists and engineers to choose from. This is the reason we import so many from abroad. The US is full of STEM illiterate folks.

It's important to have top notch scientists and engineers...it's what drives discovery and innovation, which contributes to a countries economy.
I've been in the automotive industry for 30 years and have yet to meet a "top notch" engineer that was here on an H1-B. Not saying that there isn't any, but I've yet to meet one.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:47 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I think it has less to do with those 7 countries & more to do with BEST are reluctant to deal with recent USA immigration BS and rather choosing other location/companies to join. If I was a top student from Timbuktu & I had multiple offers in different countries. Due to current immigration rule, I would choose a safer nation to join instead of USA where I might be turned back at the airport after receiving visa. Students and immigrants from other nations have been held up at airport in last few weeks. One doesn't have to be from those countries to be effected

But this is good new for people who are mediocre student graduating with psychology or arts degree but having enough science knowledge to learn one or 2 program in IT. Now they can get job easily
Feel free, if the opportunities are so great elsewhere then why look to the US? How did you describe their potential coworkers ..Oh yea "mediocre student graduating with psychology or arts degree but having enough science knowledge to learn one or 2 program in IT" .

What you don't want to accept is that these overseas candidates want to come to the USA, that is the golden ticket for them and their families. England is great but the economy & weather stink, France, Germany, and others are having severe backlashes against immigrants. No one is lining up to go to China, Turkey, Saudi Arabia etc.

So for all the options in the world then why the USA with it's "recent USA immigration BS" ?

Old 02-06-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Feel free, if the opportunities are so great elsewhere then why look to the US? How did you describe their potential coworkers ..Oh yea "mediocre student graduating with psychology or arts degree but having enough science knowledge to learn one or 2 program in IT" .

What you don't want to accept is that these overseas candidates want to come to the USA, that is the golden ticket for them and their families. England is great but the economy & weather stink, France, Germany, and others are having severe backlashes against immigrants. No one is lining up to go to China, Turkey, Saudi Arabia etc.

So for all the options in the world then why the USA with it's "recent USA immigration BS" ?

Pretty much it. Sure money can be made in the other countries you listed but people aren't lining up to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies