Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 01:19 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Where I live, there are lots of STEM-literate people (including me) who could do some of the jobs, but aren't being hired because we're white and/or male. If we were being given the same opportunities for job training and internships that international students and women are, the economy would be a lot more productive. The idea that the only people that are being put out of work are unskilled factory workers is extremely outdated.
Give me a break, dude. I work at a top Biotech company, and our department is very predominately white and male. As a white male, I can say without a doubt that I had many opportunities to get to where I am. I worked hard, no doubt - but I won't lie and say that I didn't benefit just by being white and male.

I think it is very unfortunate so many are being left behind in this world - and I hope we can help them - but we have to do a better job of taking care of those people from the start. We need better education policies that incentivize and promote STEM education and career paths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 01:20 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There are now some 100 corporations, including Apple etc tech giants who are suing Trump. Their biggest concern is the overall instability and unpredictability which Trump has introduced to the United States economy, and even globally. Its bad for business.
Their only concern is paying people as low of a wage as possible that's the only reason they like workers from other countries.

Read the Work and Employment forums people in the US complain about this all the time. The common view is people from other countries such as India are willing to work in the IT field for tens of thousands of dollars less. So that's why companies like them. It has nothing to do with them caring about diversity.
It's a bottom line and budget issue. Nothing more.

The libbie elites, left coasters and top 1 percents have so many people fooled it's sad. They'll do anything to get 10 more dollars out of profit sharing just like any rich Republican in a red state.

You've all been duped my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Give me a break, dude. I work at a top Biotech company, and our department is very predominately white and male. As a white male, I can say without a doubt that I had many opportunities to get to where I am. I worked hard, no doubt - but I won't lie and say that I didn't benefit just by being white and male.

I think it is very unfortunate so many are being left behind in this world - and I hope we can help them - but we have to do a better job of taking care of those people from the start. We need better education policies that incentivize and promote STEM education and career paths.
^^ Just like this poor guy, perfect example.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:38 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
"Google, Microsoft, etc. are saying the travel ban harms them from hiring the best."

Oh sure, maybe every once in a while. But, in general, hell no. Their claim is utter bull. We know what they are up to. I just didn't know it was quite this bad. Either severely revamp the H-1B visas or end them altogether.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:40 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,224 times
Quote:

Why should government step in and help those folks. If people aren't cutting it or there skills aren't good enough, it's commensurate on THEM to change things FOR THEMSELVES. It's not my problem as a taxpayer if jim-bob can't cut it. Heck, I grew up in rural KS and didn't go to the best school...but eight years later, I am a manager in tech (silicon valley) because I worked hard and constantly fought to get ahead. If people want the same, they should pick themselves up...not rely on the government or expect affirmative action

Old 02-06-2017, 02:19 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
While I don't disagree with what you're saying entirely - I think private corporations should invest more in their communities (especially in education) - we cannot rely on private companies to be responsible for educating our population. Private corporations are motivated by profit...and if they're public, you have to appease the shareholders. I doubt many shareholders these days would be super open to major endeavors into public education.

We need to do a better job as a society (from government to family/parenting) to help guide more of our citizens into STEM fields. We need to incentivize these career paths. I work in a STEM field, and I know how difficult it can be to fill some positions with only American citizens (especially if you're at a highly-sought after place (University or company), which attracts the brightest from all over the globe).

Investing in educating our citizens also doesn't mean we can't recruit the best/brightest from other parts of the world. In fact, many of the greatest "American" scientists came from elsewhere (through immigration). We shouldn't forget our history - it's what makes us great (we're great already).
Thank you and I see your point but I work in public education and the hot word around here is STEM along with all our short comings in being ready for it. I understand the corporate mentality but they are going to have to invest, others industries over the years did it with apprentice programs to train the workers they would require and when completed they had someone they could use.

STEM is different and what these kids need is some type of internships after they get their bachelors to help pay for the next 4+ years, they are coming out of school with a heavy debt and can't afford to take on more while working at McD's. If you want kids to go into STEM "steering them" is not the solution, create an incentive for people to consider it, astronomical debt for 8+years before you get your first job is not much of an attractant

Tapping the world market for talent is nothing new but the OP's position was the Microsoft, Google, etc are whining that the current travel ban is harming them, give me a break...

Old 02-06-2017, 02:37 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"Google, Microsoft, etc. are saying the travel ban harms them from hiring the best."

Oh sure, maybe every once in a while. But, in general, hell no. Their claim is utter bull. We know what they are up to. I just didn't know it was quite this bad. Either severely revamp the H-1B visas or end them altogether.
They should have to pay them the same as anyone not on a H-1B visa. All of a sudden...H-1B's would be much less common.

Golly gee what a coincidence.

So left coasties believe in the women wage gap myth that has been debunked 1000 times...but still think H-1B's aren't about companies trying to pay people that aren't Americans less.

Amazing.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:42 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Trump Is Right: Silicon Valley Is Using H-1B Visas To Pay Low Wages To Immigrants | The Huffington Post

American workers were losing jobs to those from overseas and then had to train their new replacements in order to receive their severance packages

We have plenty IT professionals coming out of school and Hiring off shore is a crazy notion. MS just donot want to pay Americans salaries!

Old 02-06-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Thank you and I see your point but I work in public education and the hot word around here is STEM along with all our short comings in being ready for it. I understand the corporate mentality but they are going to have to invest, others industries over the years did it with apprentice programs to train the workers they would require and when completed they had someone they could use.

STEM is different and what these kids need is some type of internships after they get their bachelors to help pay for the next 4+ years, they are coming out of school with a heavy debt and can't afford to take on more while working at McD's. If you want kids to go into STEM "steering them" is not the solution, create an incentive for people to consider it, astronomical debt for 8+years before you get your first job is not much of an attractant

Tapping the world market for talent is nothing new but the OP's position was the Microsoft, Google, etc are whining that the current travel ban is harming them, give me a break...
I think paid internships are a wonderful idea. The undergraduate school I went to (RIT) offered required internships (co-ops) to graduate, and they were some of the best things for my career. I got work experience before I even graduated, got paid for the work I did, and I had immediate connections right out of school.

I completely agree - these are the exact kind of things we need, and these are the kind of things I'm talking about when I say "incentivize" STEM field career paths. Make them worth the students while.

I understand the debt problem all to well - I'm still a young worker myself (only a few years removed from grad school).

Old 02-06-2017, 02:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
What a diss, so suddenly Americans grads and workers are worst than Syrians, Sudanese, and Somalians.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
[/b]

Why should government step in and help those folks. If people aren't cutting it or there skills aren't good enough, it's commensurate on THEM to change things FOR THEMSELVES. It's not my problem as a taxpayer if jim-bob can't cut it. Heck, I grew up in rural KS and didn't go to the best school...but eight years later, I am a manager in tech (silicon valley) because I worked hard and constantly fought to get ahead. If people want the same, they should pick themselves up...not rely on the government or expect affirmative action
If not the government, who should be most involved in educating our youth? Do you not think promoting STEM professions is a good thing to do for the youth of our country?

I agree in hard work is necessary to get ahead - but we need to do more for the youth in this country. We need to set them on the right paths.

This has nothing to do with affirmative action, but rather has everything to do with education reform (or teaching our kids the necessary tools/information they need to succeed in the real world).

I think examples like paid internships are great ideas for incentivizing these paths to our kids/young adults.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 02-06-2017 at 03:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies