Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:54 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
If not the government, who should be most involved in educating our youth? Do you not think promoting STEM professions is a good thing to do for the youth of our country?

I agree in hard work is necessary to get ahead - but we need to do more for the youth in this country. We need to set them on the right paths.

This has nothing to do with affirmative action, but rather has everything to do with education reform (or teaching our kids the necessary tools/information they need to succeed in the real world).

I think examples like paid internships are a great ideas for incentivizing these paths to our kids/young adults.
Honestly if I never saw the acronym STEM again I wouldn't complain it's just used as a buzzword now like cloud. Really about half the jobs in the entire country can qualify as STEM...it's stupid. The kids and their parents shouldn't be brainwashed by colleges they should be shown what the job growth is in all industries before they are allowed to sign up for a degree. In high school one period a day kids should be shown different types of jobs and industries. You know who doesn't want that? The colleges making money off of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 02:57 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Their only concern is paying people as low of a wage as possible that's the only reason they like workers from other countries.

Read the Work and Employment forums people in the US complain about this all the time. The common view is people from other countries such as India are willing to work in the IT field for tens of thousands of dollars less. So that's why companies like them. It has nothing to do with them caring about diversity.
It's a bottom line and budget issue. Nothing more.

The libbie elites, left coasters and top 1 percents have so many people fooled it's sad. They'll do anything to get 10 more dollars out of profit sharing just like any rich Republican in a red state.

You've all been duped my friend.

^^ Just like this poor guy, perfect example.
I'm all for Americans working all of these high tech jobs (after all, I work at a top Biotech company who employs almost exclusively American citizens...so this is not an impossible thing to have).

My idea is to out-compete the world's best so that the companies here are hiring Americans who also just happen to be the best people for the job.

The minute we start telling companies that they have to hire Americans over more qualified people from other places is the minute we become less competitive with the rest of the world.

"Make America Great" by promoting STEM education so that we continue to produce the best and brightest.

I'm not fooled by anything - I'm well aware of H1-B's from India replacing some IT jobs. That said, a lot of companies that have done so have been less-than-impressed with their results and have started hiring Americans again (realizing that you do sometimes "get what you pay for").

How this became a political argument, I'm not sure.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:58 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Really, are the best professionals living in Jemen, Syria, Iraque, etc.

If that is so than why are these countries doing so badly?
Did you think that multinational corporations based in the US only hired second generation or greater US citizens with white skin?

We have plenty of green card holders who helped BUILD some of these companies and they cannot even leave the US now for fear of not being able to get back in. People who have been with companies like Microsoft for a good 15-20 years.

How is this good for business?

If you want to talk about revamping H1-B, I'm sure that's an entirely different subject.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:59 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Its Yemen and Iraq.

Their education system is different than ours. Students are often streamed into those classes at which they've shown a proficiency. Unlike the US who wants to return to the Industrial Age of shirt factories and farming, these countries do seem to understand the importance of teaching students for the future economy.
Which is why those countries are growing intellectually while the US is becoming stagnant.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Honestly if I never saw the acronym STEM again I wouldn't complain it's just used as a buzzword now like cloud. Really about half the jobs in the entire country can qualify as STEM...it's stupid. Youth shouldn't be brainwashed by colleges they should be shown what the job growth is in all industries before they are allowed to sign up for a degree. In high school one period a day kids should shown different types of jobs and industries. You know who doesn't want that? The schools making money off of them.
I'm very much in favor of education that is career-focused. That was actually my background, and I found it to be amazingly-helpful. The reason STEM is a buzzword is because that's where many of our future jobs are trending.

If you have a good base in STEM, you might not get the jobs that are available today - but you'll be well-versed enough to transition to other fields if needed.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:22 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There are now some 100 corporations, including Apple etc tech giants who are suing Trump. Their biggest concern is the overall instability and unpredictability which Trump has introduced to the United States economy, and even globally. Its bad for business.
They're suing because they can't import cheap labors freely with Trump.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:32 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
If the US industries that are crying there is a lack of qualified candidates then let them start investing in the process.
Quote:
Why should private companies have to do that? If you were a shareholder, would you let your company do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
To whine about the lack of qualified candidates in this country but be unwilling to do anything about it is stupid. These companies make a lot of money and like other industries could be investing in their next batch of employees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Computer programming should be in all high schools.
Actually there's a movement afoot to do exactly this.

Check it out: https://www.tealsk12.org/

Wanna know who funds it? Microsoft.

And if you think they're doing it for nefarious purposes (say indoctrinating HS kids on Windows), think again. They supply Macs in classrooms (at least the ones I've seen) and teach Java.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:33 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Which is why those countries are growing intellectually while the US is becoming stagnant.
And yet everyone wants to come here, I don't see a mad rush to move out of the USA....

Old 02-06-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Actually there's a movement afoot to do exactly this.

Check it out: https://www.tealsk12.org/

Wanna know who funds it? Microsoft.

And if you think they're doing it for nefarious purposes (say indoctrinating HS kids on Windows), think again. They supply Macs for the classroom and teach Java.
I think they should - I was more responding to a post that was implying it be required (or that private corporations should be responsible for this...when it should be our schools and academic institutions first, companies/career training second).

I think this is good that MS is doing this.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:47 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
I think this is good that MS is doing this.
I knew you would. I just quoted a few different folks involved in the discussion for completeness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies