Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 12:40 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I can't wait for those dishwashing and lawn maintenance jobs.
Millenials can learn to spread mulch, and pick lettuce. They'll have to put down their phones to do a job for a change!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 12:41 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Right. I live in a rural community. I see it first hand and I can promise you, without Mexicans coming to do the work every summer, crops would rot. We do not want to do that type of work. Even when I was unemployed, getting a job like that never crossed my mind.

So, what makes that work beneath you, even when you were unemployed ?

In one year I went from a $130k desk job to nothing. I worked for $10 an hour at a friends marina slinging wrenches on boats. It was the hardest work I'd ever done, and was thankful he gave me the opportunity. I did that for close to a year. At the time I was 40, so it was not very easy.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:44 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,018 times
Quote:
Right. I live in a rural community. I see it first hand and I can promise you, without Mexicans coming to do the work every summer, crops would rot. We do not want to do that type of work. Even when I was unemployed, getting a job like that never crossed my mind.
So you would rather collect unemployment and perhaps welfare benefits rather than get a job you feel is too demeaning for you?
True Story: I grew up in an upper middle class family in a wealthy area outside of NYC.. When I was in 7th grade, my parents sent me to a sleep away camp for 2 weeks. Worst two weeks of my life. It was a survival camp. Basically, had to clean the porter potties, showers, kitchen sink dishes etc.. When I got home, my parents explained to me they did that so I can learn that I am not better than or above anyone else. I am no better than the people who clean the porter potties as a job. I will never forget that.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:44 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Illegals are costing the state of Colorado $1.4 Billion a year. Huge amount goes into educating their kids.
Can you imagine what the national cost of illegals is? No way they contribute enough to pay THIS from our taxes.

We as taxpayers are subsidizing both the businesses here that hire them for cheap, and the countries they come from (mostly Mexico) by taking care of their poor, unskilled, and uneducated populations.

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/.../15/id/696451/

Old 02-06-2017, 12:46 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
So, what makes that work beneath you, even when you were unemployed ?

In one year I went from a $130k desk job to nothing. I worked for $10 an hour at a friends marina slinging wrenches on boats. It was the hardest work I'd ever done, and was thankful he gave me the opportunity. I did that for close to a year. At the time I was 40, so it was not very easy.
Well because frankly, I won't ever be that desperate. I would choose welfare before hard manual labor. I am close to 40 as well.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
So you would rather collect unemployment and perhaps welfare benefits rather than get a job you feel is too demeaning for you?
True Story: I grew up in an upper middle class family in a wealthy area outside of NYC.. When I was in 7th grade, my parents sent me to a sleep away camp for 2 weeks. Worst two weeks of my life. It was a survival camp. Basically, had to clean the porter potties, showers, kitchen sink dishes etc.. When I got home, my parents explained to me they did that so I can learn that I am not better than or above anyone else. I am no better than the people who clean the porter potties as a job. I will never forget that.
I grew up in a similar financial status. I am by far not stuck up or better than anyone. We go on cruises and I am known for hanging with the staff. But I know me, and I would not last in hard manual labor. I suck at gardening, and I can't cook. I would take unemployment or assistance. Well anyone would if they did the math, because it pays better than minimum wage.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:51 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Quote:
Only 5% of illegals work in agriculture anymore. They are now mostly taking the jobs Americans will do in construction, food service, car mechanics, masonry, welding, roofing, landscaping, fishing, electronics, handyman work, chefs, etc etc

If we need lettuce pickers, then we can hire tons of legal immigrants for those jobs where they are truly needed.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Only 5% of illegals work in agriculture anymore. They are now mostly taking the jobs Americans will do in construction, food service, car mechanics, masonry, welding, roofing, landscaping, fishing, electronics, handyman work, chefs, etc etc

If we need lettuce pickers, then we can hire tons of legal immigrants for those jobs where they are truly needed.
And that is the byproduct of encouraging our youth to all go to college and get an education. We now have lots of educated unemployed folks fighting over the high paying desk jobs.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:02 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's a misdemeanor to enter the US without a valid passport or visa. Their presence in the US is not a criminal violation at all but is a civil violation.
Is Illegal Immigration a Crime? Improper Entry v. Unlawful Presence - FindLaw Blotter
A misdemeanor is a crime. /facepalm

Old 02-06-2017, 01:13 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,317 times
Quote:
I had a crew working on my house this past summer. It was 5 guys, three that were not here legally and two American guys, one being the supervisor. He stood around gave directions, played with the cats, kids and dog. The other American was clearly on drugs and I spent the week making sure my jewelry did not disappear. The three guys that spoke Spanish were the best workers. Go figure.

I am soon doing a major project at my house, new roof, removal of asbestos siding, new insulation on exterior walls, new siding and putting stone on the entire front. Estimates are all over the place, from $30k-$120k. I am struggle to get companies to come and give prices. I know it is a $30k-$35k job, so the $120k people are delusional.

Construction people have ruined it for themselves by not being dependable people.
Interesting, because I have seen illegals and the have been lazy, do crappy work, need to be told multiple times to do the simplest of things, take too long of breaks waste time chatting rather than doing work. The contractors I have seen also tend to do crap work and often make the customers angry.

I have seen lots of people do that, but then you were trying to make another generalization about how "hard working" illegals are weren't you? You do realize a stereotype is a a stereotype whether you are using it for good or bad do you not?

Fact is, I have seen good crews and bad crews, but what I do know is that illegal contractors don't pay all the same bills legal ones do and they don't file for permits, inspections and the like. I also know that legal contractors will also hire under the table from time to time regardless of legality status because the costs of running a legal crew is expensive and as I said not competitive with the illegal contractors. Also keep in mind that there are legal people who are also running illegal contractor businesses.

See, what you claim you know and what you know are two different things. You see, there are hell of a lot of costs that a legal contractor pays and the average joe only considers base costs, not all the extra costs that come with government prizes. This is why progressives are clueless about a lot of things out there because they don't know the costs of running a business and the costs associated with LEGALLY operating one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies