Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 10:23 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
If by "eggs" you mean "laws" and "decades-old international alliances".
The ones I see breaking laws are the illegals ....yet the liberals are 'fighting' for them right now more than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 10:25 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
If by "eggs" you mean "laws" and "decades-old international alliances".
did he break or comply with this law?

(f) Suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by President Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate. Whenever the Attorney General finds that a commercial airline has failed to comply with regulations of the Attorney General relating to requirements of airlines for the detection of fraudulent documents used by passengers traveling to the United States (including the training of personnel in such detection), the Attorney General may suspend the entry of some or all aliens transported to the United States by such airline.

A cut and paste from 8 USC 1182.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
The type of change you're talking about will not be tough for just "most" people to handle. If history is our guide, it will be devastating even for those who wished for it.
What would be devastating about a return to law and order on immigration and in high crime cities like parts of Chicago, Detroit ,etc?

What would be devastating about bringing jobs back from other countries?

Is that a 'scary' concept?..

Old 02-06-2017, 10:27 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Whenever there is change, especially on a large scale such as this there is always going to be turmoil. The end game is what is important. Many of us are just too short sighted, and want to resist changes. This is regardless of whether it was Obama's change or Trumps.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:28 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
He's making pretty decent progress on the agenda the country elected him on for his first 2 weeks.
Wouldn't you say?
Yes he is fulfilling campaign promises. I think poor timing on his fight with the Court of Appeals may cost him being able to get his Justice on the Supreme Court for a LONG time.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
He's making pretty decent progress on the agenda the country elected him on for his first 2 weeks.
Wouldn't you say?
No, not at all.

His signature Muslim ban was struck down a week after it was enacted. There's a long court battle ahead, but if he acted responsibly he would have had the plan vetted by legal counsel and he would have consulted with Congress. He shot from the hip and now looks ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that every single person with experience in immigration and terrorism has said that the ban makes America less safe than it was before.

He blurted out that Mexico was going to pay for the wall with a 20% border tax and when that sparked outrage, he trotted poor old Spicer out there to back way off of that plan. It's becoming more clear every day that it that wall is ever built, Mexico will not pay for it.

He said the ACA would be repealed and replaced right off the bat but in an interview yesterday conceded that it's a very difficult issue and most likely nothing will happen until next year.

Whether you voted for him or not, he's had a terrible first two weeks in office.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:36 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Whenever there is change, especially on a large scale such as this there is always going to be turmoil. The end game is what is important. Many of us are just too short sighted, and want to resist changes. This is regardless of whether it was Obama's change or Trumps.
Agreed!!

Failure isn't necessarily a mistake or being wrong - failure is NOT trying at all.

The end result is the goal. So I guess that sometimes the ends justify the means. Within reason.

Trump has moved ahead with a lot of his promises, however clumsy those moves might be. In my opinion, he's rattling cages and chains - the cages and chains of bureaucracy that are literally strangling our country.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45committe View Post
I spoke in present tense but thank you for participating.
So you have nothing. That's what I thought.
Just make a bunch of statements with nothing to back it up.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:53 AM

He's picked great people.

Bullying?..

Insurance went up a LOT under Obamacare!..you do realize that right?

Old 02-06-2017, 11:08 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Perhaps President Trump will delight his loyal followers by taking a page from Ronald Reagan's book: order a wholesale review of people receiving Federal disability benefits.

Of course, those followers whom receive such benefits yet manage to sit for hours per day in front of a computer, generating thousands of postings on this one forum alone, will perhaps not be so delighted. However, you've got to 'break some eggs'.

For those too young to know: President Reagan ordered such a review. When I was hired by the Social Security Administration in 1988, I came in at the tail-end. The review succeeded in getting thousands of loafers off the roles (many, of course, were initially disabled, but improved, but never thought of informing SSA).

Obama did, on a smaller scale, order that reviews be increased during his administration (I can vouch that, after Reagan and before Obama, such reviews were few*). However, since we have continually struggled with hiring freezes or one sort or another, the number of disability reviews has still been low.

*I will note that when I started here in 1988, I wrote quite a few 'cessation' cases, until they virtually stopped. When Obama ordered Social Security to step up the cessation reviews in 2010 or so, I was literally the only person in my office with experience in writing such cases, hence I got (and still do) most of them.

Indeed, this morning, I wrote such a case for a child that was granted disability back in 2006 (aged four). After being notified in October 2006 that his case was paid, the child (or, rather, parents) never took said child back to a doctor until they were notified that the case was being reviewed in early 2015. Needless to say, the Administrative Law Judge found that the child was no longer disabled (he had been found disabled due to speech/language delay).

Note: said child, now age 14 or so, is 6'2" and weighs 180 pounds, and plays football for his school. He should have been taken off SSI long ago, but such is life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies