Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 05:34 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
My goodness, what has this world come to? President Trump is being judged on the wrong things, and you'd think that, after Obama, Trump would be a welcome sight in Britain.
Didn't he make a sexist remark about Princess Kate (sorry, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge)? I'm sure that Prince William hasn't forgotten that. He probably won't trot out Prince George to meet him.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:39 PM

1,640 posts, read 794,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The Nation Council of La Raza was a client of Judge Curiel's at one time. Due to Trump's language and promises on immigration, there was a lot of contention with many of these Hispanic groups. Trump was right to ask the judge to recuse himself, and the judge should have.

If you believe the labels Hispanic or Mexican are shameful, then I can see how you would feel Trump was trying to denigrate the judge. If you feel they are not bad words, he was simply pointing out the potential conflict of interest.

BTW, neither Mexican or Hispanic are races. You'd think someone shrieking about racism would know that.
I'm not sure how any of that matters. He said the judge couldn't do his job because of his ethnicity. That's racist.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:47 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
I'm not sure how any of that matters. He said the judge couldn't do his job because of his ethnicity. That's racist.
First, ethnicity and race are not the same. You may want to learn this.

Second, this has happened before. The Obama DOJ had a judge recused due to the fact that she was Irani a.

Should Shared Ancestry Force A Judge's Recusal? : NPR

Old 02-22-2017, 05:51 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Didn't he make a sexist remark about Princess Kate (sorry, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge)? I'm sure that Prince William hasn't forgotten that. He probably won't trot out Prince George to meet him.

Not necessarily a "sexist" remark per se; but His Orangengess blamed the whole scandal over those photos showing a topless Duchess of Cambridge sunbathing.

"He tweeted at the time saying that Kate was "great" but "only had herself to blame", adding, "who wouldn't take Kate's picture and make lots of money if she does the nude sunbathing thing. Come on Kate!".
Kate Middleton is great--but she shouldn't be sunbathing in the nude--only herself to blame.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 17, 2012

Donald Trump made 'vile' comments about Kate Middleton sunbathing topless - will this make for awkward UK visit? - Mirror Online

In any event Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge are paid to "smile and wave"; thus if ordered to meet or whatever with DT, they will do so.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:51 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
We have friends from England who visit us every year. I asked the husband what the Brits thought of our new President, and , in typical dry British humor, he said "I think some of your voters need to not be drinking so much before they go to the polls."

That kinda sums it up pretty well.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
First, ethnicity and race are not the same. You may want to learn this.

Second, this has happened before. The Obama DOJ had a judge recused due to the fact that she was Irani a.

Should Shared Ancestry Force A Judge's Recusal? : NPR
I don't think a racist would care if race and ethnicity are not the same. Nor do I see how my knowledge would impact a racist. If you are trying to make an argument that people cannot be racist against a group based on the semantics you want to argue, well, that's pretty absurd.

Your link isn't opening for me. Not that it matters.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We have friends from England who visit us every year. I asked the husband what the Brits thought of our new President, and , in typical dry British humor, he said "I think some of your voters need to not be drinking so much before they go to the polls."

That kinda sums it up pretty well.
I have a VC on Monday with colleagues over in Switzerland. We don't talk about it, but I'm embarrassed. It's so shameful. I work with people from all over the world and people absolutely lump us into one pot.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I don't think a racist would care if race and ethnicity are not the same. Nor do I see how my knowledge would impact a racist. If you are trying to make an argument that people cannot be racist against a group based on the semantics you want to argue, well, that's pretty absurd.

Your link isn't opening for me. Not that it matters.
I'm just bringing up that screaming racist has become such the "go to" that it really doesn't have much meaning anymore.

"He's German."

"Racism! Racism! You pointed out he's German because you're racist."

Racism is just an attack word when all else fails.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I have a VC on Monday with colleagues over in Switzerland. We don't talk about it, but I'm embarrassed. It's so shameful. I work with people from all over the world and people absolutely lump us into one pot.
If I were a liberal, I'd say they are being racists.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I'm just bringing up that screaming racist has become such the "go to" that it really doesn't have much meaning anymore.

"He's German."

"Racism! Racism! You pointed out he's German because you're racist."

Racism is just an attack word when all else fails.
Nobody is screaming. What he said and thought was racist. I think you know this on some level because you are arguing everything but what he said. Again, a lot of people don't care if he is. Heck, I know a lot of people that thought one of the greatest things about this election was that they didn't need to be PC anymore. They could say exactly what they think and many started doing just that...on FB at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies