Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 06:39 AM

185 posts, read 168,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yet they are totally fine with illegal immigrants that don't even have a high school degree ?

Guess it's just another example of liberal hypocrisy
I'm a liberal with three college degrees. I do not look down on what you call "uneducated" Americans with no college degree. In fact, my husband, a man I love and willingly chose to marry, does not have a college degree.

This kind of narrative, that all people who vote Democrat are liberals who look down on others is not true and quite damaging to our ability to get a long, find common areas of interest, and work together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 06:43 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,918,789 times
Actually I think the anti-science vitriol spewed by far right is quite disturbing. People who have no understanding about how to do a properly controlled experiments telling professional scientists about science. I'm sorry, you can not be a professional science without going to a college or university. Where else and who else is going to train you? You can not learn to be a professional scientist like how you can be a carpenter by working through apprenticeships. It just doesn't exist and you need at least SOME fundamental level of textbook understanding and education of basic principles.

I don't walk into a construction site and tell the plumber or electrician that they're doing a ****e job now do I?

Old 02-07-2017, 06:44 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,523,745 times
I don't look down on uneducated people, but I have a major problem with people who have no critical thinking skills, people who don't question what "make America great again" even means, let alone how you'd measure such "greatness". I don't have a college degree, but I was taught to question everything and to never take things at face value. Why is a particular website spouting garbage? Who's behind it? Those questions (and answers) are very important. It's the difference between believing nonsense like "Obama is going to take all our guns!" vs. believing that Trump is out of his mind, which has been proven by his own words.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:50 AM

68,300 posts, read 54,222,946 times
Why do liberals look down on "uneducated" Americans with no college degree

Why do people ask questions based on assumptions unsupported by fact?

Old 02-07-2017, 07:17 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,471,413 times
Talking Why do liberals look down on "uneducated" Americans with no college degree

Disgusting!

Just look at what this liberal has to say.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:34 AM

35,565 posts, read 20,909,470 times
I do not have a college degree- too busy taking care of a sick mom- my siblings went - but I sure have a whole lot of common sense! Which is more than I say- for the present admin- I also run a huge office, so not picking peas.
I do not care if T went to high school- you have to have very good-life skills when dealing with people and huge impacting issues- and be humble enough to accept a round course of advice from those who been there doing the work- as well as new ideas. Those that support those wild concoctions with out thought or consequences you have to wonder about how their minds-- work or DONT- cant help it--

Old 02-07-2017, 07:44 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
First off, the premise of this thread is a bit silly - let's break this discussion away from "liberals" (or some group in your mind). No one should "look down" on another person. We should all treat each other with respect (we are all after all Americans)

Now I think you're trying to get at something, and I think this has more to do with dismissal of ideas.

For me it has nothing to do with education - as I don't think education is directly linked to intelligence. Some of the brightest people I've known we're either career-educated or just smart people, even though they didn't have the academic credentials.

But I can say that what I have a problem with the recent war on Science (and for that matter...facts) that has come into trend in political discussions. It has made any discussion about certain topics basically impossible to have. If you can't agree on certain basic assumptions/ideas ("up is up"...vs "up is down"), it is impossible to have that discussion. And really, there is no point. If these people are so ingrained in whatever it is they believe, even though there is data and scientific evidence against that idea, there's nothing you can do to convince them otherwise).

I will not support a war on science. Or entertain that kind of discussion (at least beyond the minimal attention it deserves up front).

Skepticism is one thing (and is the hallmark of the Scientific process) - but what I'm talking about goes WAY beyond skepticism and enters an alternate reality. Where people want to believe whatever the hell they want to believe - facts or "experts" be damned (as if having someone be conduct a job that they're an expert and have devoted their career to is some insane premise!).

Let's discuss whatever you want to discuss...but let's stay in reality here.
Great post. I agree. If a person looks down on anything, it's not usually another person. It's that person's ideas. Or, their lack of a clear thought process. I don't know many people except snobs (and snobbery isn't a political party) who care what school someone did or did not attend.

The war on science is an excellent example of an area where there is no "your opinion carries as much weight as my facts" option.

Gravity exists. It just does.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:10 AM

58,749 posts, read 27,092,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Do we know that? All statistics I've seen recently show the Democratic party being far more educated than the Republicans. Party affiliation among U.S. voters: 1992-2016 | Pew Research Center (from AminWi)

Of course, this isn't any reason to "look down on" someone else - but you might want to get your facts straight.
"far more educated than the Republicans"

It depends on what you mean by "educated"

College is NOT the ONLY means of getting an education.

I know "educated" people who don't have the common sense to come in out of the rain.

It's ironic how some want to claim the higher ground on education then go to a "certified" mechanic to repair the brakes on their car putting their and their families lives at risk of being killed by some un"educted" moron, etc.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:24 PM

29,194 posts, read 14,474,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

I know "educated" people who don't have the common sense to come in out of the rain.

It's ironic how some want to claim the higher ground on education then go to a "certified" mechanic to repair the brakes on their car putting their and their families lives at risk of being killed by some un"educted" moron, etc.

Reminds me of an episode of "Big Bang Theory", The gang was driving in Penny's car and it had an engine failure. So Howard asked if anyone knew anything about an internal combustion engine. They all replied with yes, then he asked, does anyone know how to fix one ? They all replied with a big nope.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:51 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,391,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

This makes me wonder though . Where should I be getting my brakes fixed ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies