Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 11:41 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
Are you really of the opinion that refugees and veterans should have equal preference?
It is actually possible to look at two problems and try to resolve both.

Are you only shopping at companies that have a veterans-first policy? That must be kinda difficult. Otr is it refugees in particular that stick in your craw?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 11:46 AM

1,400 posts, read 863,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It is actually possible to look at two problems and try to resolve both.

Are you only shopping at companies that have a veterans-first policy? That must be kinda difficult. Otr is it refugees in particular that stick in your craw?
So you want veterans and refugees to have equal preference. Good for you. Thanks for answering my question.

If I am aware of a an unAmerican company, then no, they don't deserve my business. When is your next stay booked at the Trump hotel? LOL

Old 02-07-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
So you want veterans and refugees to have equal preference.
I can see a problem with unemployed vets, a problem with unemployed refugees, and - being able to identify a false dilemma when I see one - I have no problem with an effort towards solving both.

If you call that unAmerican, then perhaps the problem is in your definition of what's "American". Since when was America unable to reach out to more than one group in need?

Old 02-07-2017, 11:59 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
We live in a free country so companies can be as unAmerican as they like under the law. They can even burn our flag and refuse to stand for the national anthem. They also won't be getting a dime of my business.

You can try to rationalize it all you want. Are you really of the opinion that refugees and veterans should have equal preference?
And what makes you think they are? Do you have intimate knowledge about their hiring procedures that you'd like to share?

The refugee pledge is worldwide - the veterans pledge is US only.

Starbucks can look at both problems and do both - do you not think they're capable of doing so?

And they're doing more than most other companies are doing in taking care of our past troops. You must not shop at many places because I sure don't see this being a common practice. Your boycott list must be enormous!

Old 02-07-2017, 12:03 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The difference is that Starbucks pays for college.
Wow - that's a huge and awesome benefit. I bet they have a lot of college students working at Starbucks.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:09 PM

1,400 posts, read 863,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I can see a problem with unemployed vets, a problem with unemployed refugees, and - being able to identify a false dilemma when I see one - I have no problem with an effort towards solving both.

If you call that unAmerican, then perhaps the problem is in your definition of what's "American". Since when was America unable to reach out to more than one group in need?
Good to hear that liberals are adamantly opposed to affirmative action these days. Man things are looking brighter than I thought. Everyone gets equal preference now, great! I'll take it!

Old 02-07-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Good to hear that liberals are adamantly opposed to affirmative action these days. Man things are looking brighter than I thought.
Weird, I am pretty sure I would have remembered typing that. Please don't try to lay out how you somehow divined it.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:16 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I notice that you fail to mention that Starbucks ALSO HIRED 10,000 Vets.
Not "also". Starbucks HIRED 10,000 vets.

This guy employs a whopping total of 52 people, maybe some of them are vets, maybe not. As I see it, he exploited at least 9,948 vets with his bogus promise for jobs that he can't deliver. But props to him for spreading lies, at least he went to the experts to do it right...

Old 02-07-2017, 12:21 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Starbucks did this years ago, and unlike Black Rifle, it wasn't an empty promise to drum up PR. Starbucks to hire 10,000 vets and military spouses - Nov. 6, 2013
Not just a promise, Starbucks already hired 8,800 Vets since 2013. The promise to hire 10K refuge is over 5 years in all over the world. I don't believe refuge is based on original country but residence status of the country you are in. Ex. if an American went to Canada seeking refugee status, he/she would fall under this 10K job

Old 02-07-2017, 12:54 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Starbuck's opened 700 new stores last year. Most were in India and China. Why would a company choose to limit their sales to just 5% of the world's population?

You and others seem to miss /dismiss Starbuck's hiring refugees was a global commitment, across 75 countries.

You and others seem to miss/ dismiss Starbuck's 2013 commitment to hire 10,000 US veterans / spouces by 2018 in US stores.
Many people don't realize how many corporations are global. I remember when Gilbert Gottfried was fired after sending tweets joking about the devastating earthquake in Japan, and so many people here supported him. Although joking about a deadly disaster is always in bad taste, 75% of AFLAC's earnings are from Japan. The U.S. is just a small part of the company, even thought the A.F. stands for American Family. In fact, it built the company by selling cancer insurance to Japanese citizens. Starbucks began as a single coffee shop in Seattle, but it has about 25,000 stores worldwide and is growing. About half of them are in the U.S. McDonald's has more than 36,000 restaurants and less than half are in the U.S.

Yet I've spoken with many people who think of these companies as strictly "American."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies