Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 06:37 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times

Advertisements

You're intellectually dishonest and have zero credibility. Any time you mention that the democrats ran the civil war and Jim Crow South as evidence that they're on the wrong side of issues of race, you're tacitly admitting that you have no intention of discussing race, as it relates to politics, in earnest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 06:43 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You're intellectually dishonest and have zero credibility. Any time you mention that the democrats ran the civil war and Jim Crow South as evidence that they're on the wrong side of issues of race, you're tacitly admitting that you have no intention of discussing race, as it relates to politics, in earnest.
Obviously, I agree. People get attached to labels. In speaking of political history, "Republican" and "Democrat" are two of the worse labels you can use.

For instance, Texas was solidly 'Democrat' up to the 1980s. Texas did not suddenly become 'conservative' whereas they were formerly 'liberal', but have stayed conservative. The parties essentially switched. I think it was Senator Phil Gramm, a Democrat, that vacated his Senate seat (for Texas) and then ran as a Republican, saying the Democratic party no longer represented his conservative beliefs.

It was interesting, in the Old Days. You had 'liberal' northeast Republicans (Rockefeller is one name that springs to mind), 'conservative' southern Democrats, etc.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:51 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Obviously, I agree. People get attached to labels. In speaking of political history, "Republican" and "Democrat" are two of the worse labels you can use.

For instance, Texas was solidly 'Democrat' up to the 1980s. Texas did not suddenly become 'conservative' whereas they were formerly 'liberal', but have stayed conservative. The parties essentially switched. I think it was Senator Phil Gramm, a Democrat, that vacated his Senate seat (for Texas) and then ran as a Republican, saying the Democratic party no longer represented his conservative beliefs.

It was interesting, in the Old Days. You had 'liberal' northeast Republicans (Rockefeller is one name that springs to mind), 'conservative' southern Democrats, etc.
Love this post. Wish I could rate more than once. It's the reason I don't associate with any party. I vote based on my own personal views at the time of election. Both parties have become far too radical for my liking. It's like two gangs right now. NO thanks!

Old 02-07-2017, 07:49 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
It wasn't just the 60s. That wasn't even the most recent examples. In the 1990s, Bill Clinton sold the Democratic party to neoliberalism, the same corporate shill philosophy the Republican party had been using for that 16 year period they had a monopoly on the white house and damn near monopoly on voters too. Clinton needed it to compete. He also was committed to interest politics, something the Democratic party almost exclusively did in this election, which likely cost them a win they otherwise would have easily had.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:27 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
People making arguments along these lines is a sure sign that they are either:

Dishonest

or

Idiots

Old 02-07-2017, 09:26 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
This is why I don't buy that "Party of Lincoln" stuff. This is why I don't fall for those talking points used to get Blacks to vote Republican. This is why I understand why relatively few Blacks vote Republican. Truth is, Blacks are put last by both parties. However, today's Democrats are more likely to take up the mantle of civil rights than today's Republicans(notice I said "today's" Republicans).

Republican Party & Black Voters -- How GOP Can Win Over African Americans | National Review

| National Review

Old 02-07-2017, 12:10 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is why I don't buy that "Party of Lincoln" stuff. This is why I don't fall for those talking points used to get Blacks to vote Republican. This is why I understand why relatively few Blacks vote Republican. Truth is, Blacks are put last by both parties. However, today's Democrats are more likely to take up the mantle of civil rights than today's Republicans(notice I said "today's" Republicans).

Republican Party & Black Voters -- How GOP Can Win Over African Americans | National Review

| National Review
Bolded for emphasis. What would be an example of that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies