Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 03:15 PM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
"School choice" robs poor and rural people so upper-middle class and rich people in cities and suburbs can more easily afford private school. I'm an upper-middle class city dweller with one kid in private school, and another who'll be there in three years. This is a "win" for me personally, and I absolutely hate it.
Your post makes a good argument for school choice. You obviously don't want your kids in public school but are fine with making poor kids attend public school.

We have been trying the separate but equal schools for a long time. I was in school in California when busing to integrate the schools began. All that happened was the wealthier parents put their kids in private school and the kids from poor neighborhoods had a very long bus ride.

I would like to see an income requirement for school vouchers. People that can afford to pay should pay. It is not the kids fault their parents are poor. They deserve a chance at a good education. We have tried the liberal ideas on this. It has failed us. We rank way down the list internationally yet spend more per student than all but 4 countries.

U.S. students improving in math and science, but still lag internationally | Pew Research Center

Lets break up the teachers unions and free students into choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 03:16 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Did you watch the hearings? Many of her answers were not well thought through. She didn't seem to grasp many basic education concepts (such as the difference between "student proficiency" and "student growth"), and sometimes gave vague/hand-wavy answers to direct questions (kind of like what you do in an interview when you don't know the answer to a question and just want to get through the question...).

Couple that with some of the really bizarre things she said (guns to ward off Grizzlies? Holy...what????), and misrepresenting graduation statistics at charter schools, and you have a mediocre/below average performance.

More information/summaries on her hearing:
Washington Post: Six astonishing things Betsy DeVos said — and refused to say — at her confirmation hearing

BBC: Why is Betsy DeVos, Trump's pick for education secretary, so unpopular?

NPR: At DeVos' Senate Hearing, Questions Of Choice, Charters, 'Other Options'

NY Times: Betsy DeVos’s Education Hearing Erupts Into Partisan Debate

She definitely comes across as one of the weakest links in Trump's administration:
Mnuchin, Perry and DeVos: Trump's nominees get grilled - BBC News

Feel free to watch it and make up your mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRBNkMM0-pM

A couple of highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnibHBkDFO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaGy7hs05fM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3xBGq3bvcQ

Instead of good info, you say you don't like the way she waved her hands? You cite the "grizzly answer" as the only example of a dumb answer?? That's it?? (Your reference to her using misleading statistics jumped from the accusation of "dumb" to that of "dishonest", or maybe you didn't think we would notice that clumsy little sleight of hand??)
And then you provide links to five far-left websites?? As if we didn't already know what they think??
Come on, man: I asked a fair question. You say she was stupid in her hearing. Give specifics!! Or float.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
A 19 minute video by someone who doesn't even have the guts to identify himself?? No thanks.
Come on: write something out. You can do it.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Yes, having people who know things about what they're put in charge of is just terrible. I'd far rather have Rick Perry in charge of the nukes than sone full of himself technocrat physicist.

Republicans are brain dead morons.
See, but that's the thing: you would THINK they would know a lot about the areas they are dominating, but most of the time, they don't.
Dilbert is so funny because it's TRUE, my friend!

Old 02-07-2017, 03:24 PM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
So now the video of her testimony is in question because it was posted by the Washington Post?

Lol. Jesus this place is just nuckin futz.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I could send my kid to any private school in my area, but I chose a progressive school with selective admissions. They pride themselves on racial, cultural and socioeconomic diversity. They offer a lot financial aid to keep enrollment balanced. They also have a VERY long waiting list. Vouchers won't change the demographics of my school at all, but they will save me a lot of money, while making the local public schools worse.

Right now, I'm subsidizing the schools, and not using them. When they start handing me about years, that money is coming out of the public schools.
Do you know how many parents of homeschoolers pay for public education, but can't use it?? Because the schools stink so bad?? (Plus the pain in the *ss of having to do the homeschooling).
You don't care about THAT, I bet.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Do you know how many parents of homeschoolers pay for public education, but can't use it?? Because the schools stink so bad?? (Plus the pain in the *ss of having to do the homeschooling).
You don't care about THAT, I bet.
There are many people with no kids that pay school taxes, some pay even more in school taxes than many parents pay (like me for example).

Old 02-07-2017, 03:29 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
A 19 minute video by someone who doesn't even have the guts to identify himself?? No thanks.
Come on: write something out. You can do it.

Be careful what you wish for!

Quote:
Had the school voucher bill passed in Tennessee, Anoor Academy (Knoxville), Pleasant View School (Memphis) and Nashville International Academy (Nashville), would have been eligible to receive voucher money. All three are private Islamic schools.
Quote:
In 2013, Anoor Academy’s promo video showed a row of the textbook What Islam Is All About. This book denigrates Jews and Christians and teaches that the warlord Muhammed is the perfect example to follow. It also states that “there is no separation of Masjid and state,” that “Muslims dream of establishing the power of Islam in the world,” and that living under sharia law is the preferred state for all humankind.
https://creepingsharia.wordpress.com...hate-infidels/

Old 02-07-2017, 03:37 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Glad for school choice even though my daughter attends parochial school.

Who wants their kids going to school with hood rats?

Old 02-07-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Uh oh........are you being ISLAMOPHOBIC???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies