Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 01:50 PM

882 posts, read 688,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Get back to me when you can disprove what I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 01:52 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
And we already have private schools. People already have this choice to send their children to private schools.
Only the well-to-do have this choice.

They will still have the choice of the $25K/tuition private schools as I doubt vouchers will be anywhere near this amount.

So the hoi paloi will still be stuck with public schools or one of the many privates schools that will spring up in empty malls and church, synagogue and mosque basements.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:52 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
And for-profit charter schools.
Yep. "Cash Cow" schools are cropping up like weeds!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a94884dea621

Old 02-07-2017, 01:53 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,032,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I haven't really followed this story, but ....have America's public schools systems even been good in the first place? What is she going to really change?

(serious question, I'm ignorant on the DeVos story)

American schools are dominated by unions, collectivism, mediocrity, indoctrination, and statism. So naturally they suck.

The Top 10 (And Counting) Education Systems In The World

We're not even in the top 10. It's time to privatize the public school system, little by little, year by year. Education is a service. Private colleges do just fine and outperform public colleges. Private schooling should be expanded to K-12, where it will destroy public schools in terms of quality, excellence, and achievement.

We currently can't beat Poland or Ireland, so let's not pretend that what we are doing now is even on the same continent as the right thing.

Let's give Devos a shot. Well, we are of course because she just got confirmed. Let's see if favoring more privatization has a good result. It couldn't really get much worse.

Poland and Ireland for goodness sakes.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:55 PM

882 posts, read 688,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Only the well-to-do have this choice.

They will still have the choice of the $25K/tuition private schools as I doubt vouchers will be anywhere near this amount.

So the hoi paloi will still be stuck with public schools or one of the many privates schools that will spring up in empty malls and church, synagogue and mosque basements.
The fact of the matter is, the $11,000 per year that California spends on students would cover a parachoial school education from kindergarten through high school in San Francisco. Please stop with the sensationalizing of the $25,000 per year. Most grammar schools in our area typically run about $7,500. The savings from grammar school would pay the additional amount for high school.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:59 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,645,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
American schools are dominated by unions, collectivism, mediocrity, indoctrination, and statism. So naturally they suck.

The Top 10 (And Counting) Education Systems In The World

We're not even in the top 10. It's time to privatize the public school system, little by little, year by year. Education is a service. Private colleges do just fine and outperform public colleges. Private schooling should be expanded to K-12, where it will destroy public schools in terms of quality, excellence, and achievement.

We currently can't beat Poland or Ireland, so let's not pretend that what we are doing now is even on the same continent as the right thing.

Let's give Devos a shot. Well, we are of course because she just got confirmed. Let's see if favoring more privatization has a good result. It couldn't really get much worse.

Poland and Ireland for goodness sakes.
Thanks for replying.

I mean, I just googled and YouTube'd DeVos just now and yeah....she's really bad. Idk how she got the nomination. I feel like a middle school teacher can be better than her.

But, at the same time, yeah, it's not like our educational system has ever been good. Just basically mind-washing kids these days into more social justice-y crap and less of a focus on actual education. Everything you learn in school is fabricated lies anyway (like history, I knew it was BS even when I was in middle/high school).

Yeah, I mean, Devos sucks. But everyone on my FB page are acting like American public schools are some kinda high class educations when in reality, they're pretty terrible.

I guess I see both sides to the story. She sucks @ss, but ...the system already currently sucks.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:03 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Thanks for replying.

I mean, I just googled and YouTube'd DeVos just now and yeah....she's really bad. Idk how she got the nomination. I feel like a middle school teacher can be better than her.

But, at the same time, yeah, it's not like our educational system has ever been good. Just basically mind-washing kids these days into more social justice-y crap and less of a focus on actual education. Everything you learn in school is fabricated lies anyway (like history, I knew it was BS even when I was in middle/high school).

Yeah, I mean, Devos sucks. But everyone on my FB page are acting like American public schools are some kinda high class educations when in reality, they're pretty terrible.

I guess I see both sides to the story. She sucks @ss, but ...the system already currently sucks.
Party lines and Vice President P=\|$ was the tie breaker 😒

Old 02-07-2017, 02:05 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
I feel many lawsuits approaching.

Just as I thought, Trump is creating lots of jobs--for attorneys.

Betsy DeVos Wants to Use America's Schools to Build "God's Kingdom" | Mother Jones

Old 02-07-2017, 02:07 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,645,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I feel many lawsuits approaching.

Just as I thought, Trump is creating lots of jobs--for attorneys.

Betsy DeVos Wants to Use America's Schools to Build "God's Kingdom" | Mother Jones
Guess we won't know until it actually happens.

But personally, I rather have the traditional God stuff (don't they still recite the Pledge of Allegiance) over teaching my 6 year old kid about sex and what being transgendered means.

I can see both sides pretty much going into this argument soon. ^^^ Let the drama continue!

Old 02-07-2017, 02:08 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,366,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Yes but she is in favor of private schools and charter schools. That is what we need more of in order to become the best again. Privatization is the key to increasing competition and excellence. And she is heavily in favor of that conceptually. I like that.

PUBLIC money for private business? You're "for that"?

Vouchers do absolutely nothing to fix what's broken in public education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies