Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 11:44 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I thought this piece was pretty interesting. There must be hundreds of towns like this all across America where a majority of people voted for Trump and who are expecting things to make a big turnaround based on his rhetoric. Hope that he can deliver, because if he can't, where do they turn to next?

Trump has made America's 'poorest white town' hopeful again - Feb. 6, 2017
I always find it interesting when the sort of rural, right wing ideologues talk about other people creating jobs for them.

This seems to betray the supposed "small business bootstrapping" that they are all so fond of. People in other states create their own businesses, they don't just wait around for some external entity to show up and give everyone a job.

Furthermore there's no aspect of market ideology that says job creation is a good thing in the first place. They're so misled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 11:44 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I thought this piece was pretty interesting. There must be hundreds of towns like this all across America where a majority of people voted for Trump and who are expecting things to make a big turnaround based on his rhetoric. Hope that he can deliver, because if he can't, where do they turn to next?

Trump has made America's 'poorest white town' hopeful again - Feb. 6, 2017
CNN and national news media keep on pushing their race baiting

Old 02-08-2017, 11:47 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Actually, the people they interviewed in that piece seemed like decent and thoughtful people. They feel like Obama failed them so they went for Trump's "what do you have to lose" pitch.

However it was sadly ironic when they interviewed the Hillary supporters in the piece who indicated that they were afraid that the community would lose the social programs that are the only thing keeping Beattyville afloat as it is. So there you have it. The empty promises of Trump on one side and perpetually living off of the government on the other.
I'm pretty much in agreement with you, so don't take this as me arguing what you posted. I'm not.

The thing is this, and it's true with most "Republican Promise", it's that those empty promises lead back the perpetuity. While the promise of perpetual hand-outs is no solution (I fully believe that is a HUGE flaw of the Dems), the real option being proposed, is a lie, and it comes back to the same thing.

Healthcare is exactly the same (except I fully embrace single-payer systems, even my ultra-conservative friends from Brittain will begrugingly admit it's the only real solution). The left offers healtcare for all, and a way to pay for it, via taxes. The right tells everyone they are being stollen from, and they shouldn't pay for someone else's problems. Then the create, via empty promise, a system where people don't pay their medical bills, and guess who pays for them. ME!

Trump supporters, with the exception of the ultra-rich, are voting against their own best interest. I feel for them.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:48 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
So the new go to of the Right Wing is to claim that every news story or article is left wing lies if it doesn't agree with their ideology? The only place where truth can be found is Breitbart and from Trump himself?

Takes a seriously deluded mind to have that perspective.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:49 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
So the new go to of the Right Wing is to claim that every news story or article is left wing lies if it doesn't agree with their ideology? The only place where truth can be found is Breitbart and from Trump himself?

Takes a seriously deluded mind to have that perspective.
I started a thread on this very subject. Fake news <<IS>> the new fake news.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:52 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,633 times
I just cannot wrap my mind around why people think they are owed a certain standard of living, when they choose to live in places that have nothing to offer. The complaining and whining is so unproductive, at least in the urban areas you have people buying up properties and putting people out to build their walk-able cities and bike-friendly routes, along with apartments, condos, strip malls and other money making ventures that do bring jobs to the area. Not the best jobs, but jobs nonetheless.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:52 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I always find it interesting when the sort of rural, right wing ideologues talk about other people creating jobs for them.

This seems to betray the supposed "small business bootstrapping" that they are all so fond of. People in other states create their own businesses, they don't just wait around for some external entity to show up and give everyone a job.
Spot on. They voted for Trump, presumably because they share this philosophy that a person makes his own fortune and that all it takes us hard work to make a person prosperous. That is simply a myth. Hard work and independence does help, but ultimately circumstances beyond an individual's control can either help or hinder their attainment of financial stability. The citizens here know what a sham this myth is more than anywhere else, yet they STILL voted for him. I don't get it.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:00 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The best thing Trump can do for them is get the stifling government regulations out of the way so they can create their own business opportunities.
That's - not very concrete, is it?

Old 02-08-2017, 12:07 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
The article says people want jobs and dont want welfare, I think trump may carry Ohio, Pennsylvania, Kentucky and West Virginia for a long time if he brings back steel and coal jobs, we will see.
Even if Trump is able to bring back those jobs, a lot of the people in these poor towns might not be qualified for them. For a lot of factory jobs now you need more then a high school education. You need to have a college degree in something like engineering or IT.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/30/e...ntentPlac&_r=1

Old 02-08-2017, 12:16 PM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That's - not very concrete, is it?
Trump can't do everything - despite his claims to fix all the problems.

People just can't sit and expect jobs/business opportunities to come knocking at their door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies