Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2017, 05:54 PM

8,497 posts, read 4,558,569 times

Advertisements

Not a surprise as Trump is a bully by nature. Comments such as this by a sitting President are however very unseemly and open up all sorts of ethics questions.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Can't help but laugh @ Trump supporters in poor red states that say they're boycotting Nordstroms now. Your local mall never even had one!
I (unfortunately) live in a red state. We have, in St. Louis, 2 Nordstroms and also 2 Nordstrom Racks. We are a blue county though if that counts

Old 02-08-2017, 06:11 PM

21,468 posts, read 10,570,105 times
I know people think that a personality like Trump is the first to ever set foot in the White House, but he isn't the only one to defend his family for the backlash they receive from being associated with the president. I recall Obama getting angry about treatment of his family, but the media was on his side and luckily his daughters were minors so it wasn't so bad as say the Reagan children or the Bush daughters got.

Here is an interesting thing President Truman did in defense of his daughter.

https://www.trumanlibrary.org/trivia/letter.htm

Quote:
FAQ: Is the letter on display that Truman wrote in defense of his daughter's singing?

In response to Washington Post Music Critic Paul Hume's December 6, 1950, review of Margaret Truman's singing performance at Constitution Hall, stating,

"Miss Truman is a unique American phenomenon with a pleasant voice of little size and fair quality � (she) cannot sing very well � is flat a good deal of the time�more last night than at any time we have heard her in past years � has not improved in the years we have heard her � (and) still cannot sing with anything approaching professional finish."

President Truman responded with the following letter to Hume:

THE WHITE HOUSE

WASHINGTON

Dec. 6, 1950

Mr. Hume:

I've just read your lousy review of Margaret's concert. I've come to the conclusion that you are an "eight ulcer man on four ulcer pay."

It seems to me that you are a frustrated old man who wishes he could have been successful. When you write such poppy-**** as was in the back section of the paper you work for it shows conclusively that you're off the beam and at least four of your ulcers are at work.

Some day I hope to meet you. When that happens you'll need a new nose, a lot of beefsteak for black eyes, and perhaps a supporter below!

Pegler, a gutter snipe, is a gentleman alongside you. I hope you'll accept that statement as a worse insult than a reflection on your ancestry.

H.S.T.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:15 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,641,413 times
OMG this reality TV horror show of a presidency continues.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:17 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Omg the left is losing it...oops I almost forgot that losing it by the left is going on since November 2016!

Amazingly the left is still hanging in there as it is now 2 months on ***** hats, snow flake, break downs.

How long before the left will be Baker act!

Old 02-08-2017, 06:23 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
OMG this reality TV horror show of a presidency continues.
Indeed. And we have to go through four years, minimum, of this crapola.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:25 PM

1,285 posts, read 591,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I know people think that a personality like Trump is the first to ever set foot in the White House, but he isn't the only one to defend his family for the backlash they receive from being associated with the president. I recall Obama getting angry about treatment of his family, but the media was on his side and luckily his daughters were minors so it wasn't so bad as say the Reagan children or the Bush daughters got.

Here is an interesting thing President Truman did in defense of his daughter.
For the comparison to be equitable it would require that Truman circulated the letter to the public, not addressed to a single private recipient!

Old 02-08-2017, 06:26 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilAries View Post
Unnecessary. But we have also never had president that was this polarizing and invoked this level of hatred. His daughter's brand is under target because of who her father is. I stand by this statement, and in the face of the Nordstrom memo, it's hard to say otherwise.
His daughter is no longer associated with the namesake brand or Trump Org.

It's not personal.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
This started on day one though , he has been putting pressure and outing
companies and people that won't fall into line from the beginning.

I predict this tweet won't even hurt Trump in any way shape or form.
The GOP is in power now so all is forgiven.
Why assume Congress will support all his initiatives and spends?

Congress has been known to oppose POTUS initiatives when aligned by party.

Congress has already made clear infrastructucture spending, let alone Trump's Plan, is is not a priority for them.

As an aside, 70% of eligible voters did not vote for him. More people did not vote for either Nominee than those who did. It was known that whichever Nominee won, they would enter office with record low unfavorabikity ratings and no mandate.

Crap tweets like this create a conflict of interest and do nothing for Trump's favorability ratings.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
You know what? I think it is sweet that Trump is defending his daughter.

Bless his soul, surely he knew there would be backlash, but he did it anyway.

Ivanka has been working hard at her business and after a few initial setbacks, seemed to have going concern with her stuff in Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Macy, Belks,... It's not easy to do, particularly when you have little kids.

Then her dad comes along with another one of his schemes and there goes her business.

I don't find much to admire in this delusional old duffer, but I kind of like that he stood up for her.

When it is all said and done, family is where it's at.
She no longer has a financial interest in the namesake brand or Trump Org.

He no longer has a financial interest in Trump Org.

If her stuff was selling, Nordstrom would continue to sell the brand.

The who deal is privately- held. No one has any idea if it's profitable, or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies