Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 12:27 PM

11,249 posts, read 8,378,801 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing Trump Supporters blaming everything they don't agree with on fake news.

Fake news was first applied to the radical right, (Breitbert being the prime example) for reporting crazy nonsense. An example was the Pizza Shop Sex Scandal. A recent example of fake news would be the Bowling Green Massacre.

But every time the news gets something wrong (not made up, just a wrong), or even when something factual is reported, that does not support the RWNJ agenda, their new tactic is to label it fake news.

Do you guys ever get tired of being stupid? It's bad enough you try to hijack EVERY.SINGLE.THING the legitimate media reports against you, but it's downright embarrassing when you don't have the cognative ability to understand what it really means.

Fake News is not the same as reporting facts with a bias (or percieved bias). It is not making an honest mistake. It is not reporting consensus polls that later turn out to be wrong. It is not finding out that there was more to a story. Fake news is "making [stuff] up".

The biggest fake news I've seen lately, is calling legitimate news fake. (Kelly Ann Conway saying how the mainstream media suppressed the Bowling Green Massacre! THAT! That was fake news. Not that they didn't report it, that she made it up and then blasted them for not reporting it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 12:31 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,484,389 times
When a poll is conducted on 600 HRC voters that asks how they think Trump is doing and tout that as representative of EVERYONE, I hate to tell you but it's fake news. When the MSM comes out with story based on something the NYT wrote and leave out the part where it says the list was compiled by the Obama admin several years ago and try to say Trump is leaving off the countries he has business ties with is again, wait for it....FAKE NEWS!

Old 02-07-2017, 12:33 PM

47,104 posts, read 26,237,226 times
It's getting to the point that when a Trump spokeshole calls something "Fake News", it can essentially be considered:
  1. Factual
  2. - and at odds with how the Trump administration wishes it were.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:35 PM

27,856 posts, read 28,989,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Fake News is not the same as reporting facts with a bias (or percieved bias). It is not making an honest mistake.
There is tons of liberal fake news all over mainstream media. Pure, outright lies. I don't know how those journalists even have their jobs.

There's nothing honest about it.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:38 PM

4,170 posts, read 2,666,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I keep hearing Trump Supporters blaming everything they don't agree with on fake news.

Fake news was first applied to the radical right, (Breitbert being the prime example) for reporting crazy nonsense. An example was the Pizza Shop Sex Scandal. A recent example of fake news would be the Bowling Green Massacre.

But every time the news gets something wrong (not made up, just a wrong), or even when something factual is reported, that does not support the RWNJ agenda, their new tactic is to label it fake news.

Do you guys ever get tired of being stupid? It's bad enough you try to hijack EVERY.SINGLE.THING the legitimate media reports against you, but it's downright embarrassing when you don't have the cognative ability to understand what it really means.

Fake News is not the same as reporting facts with a bias (or percieved bias). It is not making an honest mistake. It is not reporting consensus polls that later turn out to be wrong. It is not finding out that there was more to a story. Fake news is "making [stuff] up".

The biggest fake news I've seen lately, is calling legitimate news fake. (Kelly Ann Conway saying how the mainstream media suppressed the Bowling Green Massacre! THAT! That was fake news. Not that they didn't report it, that she made it up and then blasted them for not reporting it.)
Eek. I'm a liberal, but you need to also wake up, my friend.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
When a poll is conducted on 600 HRC voters that asks how they think Trump is doing and tout that as representative of EVERYONE, I hate to tell you but it's fake news. When the MSM comes out with story based on something the NYT wrote and leave out the part where it says the list was compiled by the Obama admin several years ago and try to say Trump is leaving off the countries he has business ties with is again, wait for it....FAKE NEWS!
I don't know anything about the HRC poll, so I won't comment.

But you may have proven my point. That Obama compiled the list is really irrelevant, isn't it? I mean, Obama did not take the action of banning people from those countries, Trump did. It is more likely that blaming Obama for Trump's EO (on this subject) is closer to fake news than what you are saying.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:43 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,948,077 times
The term "Fake news" has basically become a catch-all for anything negative about Trump or something that doesn't align with his (or his supporters') worldview. It's not really about facts or data-driven conclusions anymore...

You're correct that the term was first applied to insane conspiracy theories (on the left and the right, but mostly the right this election cycle). They have often been propagated on Facebook, and many of the untrue stories have origins in the Balkan states (i.e. making stuff up to stir the audience here so they can cash in on the ad money).

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...news-and-booze

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilver...ZMR#.ww8W5z5K2

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilver...ws-on-facebook

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilver...pages-analysis

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/b...eads.html?_r=0

10 Ways to Spot a Fake News Story | HowStuffWorks

Now we have Trump who has tried to turn this term around on the "liberal mainstream media" (often just written as MSM)...it's kind of ironic when he does so, though, since he's usually yammering on about something that is either untrue or very easily proven to be false (such as his crowd sizes).

Either way - it's alarming how it's being used by the President. Silencing and blatant disregard of the free press is a disturbing trend.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There is tons of liberal fake news all over mainstream media. Pure, outright lies. I don't know how those journalists even have their jobs.

There's nothing honest about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Eek. I'm a liberal, but you need to also wake up, my friend.
^Missed my point, I think^

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
The term "Fake news" has basically become a catch-all for anything negative about Trump or something that doesn't align with his (or his supporters') worldview. It's not really about facts or data-driven conclusions anymore...

You're correct that term was first applied to insane conspiracy theories (on the left and the right, but mostly the right this election cycle). They have often been propagated on Facebook (and many of the untrue stories have origins in the Balkan states (i.e. making stuff up to stir the audience here so they can cash in on the ad money)).

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...news-and-booze

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilver...ZMR#.ww8W5z5K2

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilver...ws-on-facebook

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilver...pages-analysis

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/b...eads.html?_r=0

10 Ways to Spot a Fake News Story | HowStuffWorks

Now we have Trump who has tried to turn this term around on the "liberal mainstream media" (often just written as MSM)...it's kind of ironic when he does so, though, since he's usually yammering on about something that is either untrue or very easily proven to be false (such as his crowd sizes).

Either way - it's alarming how it's being used by the President. Silencing and blatant disregard of the free press is a disturbing trend.

THIS was exactly my point. I'm under no illusion that the mainstream media is flawless.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:58 PM

21,403 posts, read 20,025,200 times
She said massacre instead of terrorist. She corrected herself when she found out she misspoke. Could happen to anyone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

Old 02-07-2017, 04:16 PM

47,104 posts, read 26,237,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
She said massacre instead of terrorist. She corrected herself when she found out she misspoke.
Kind of hard to believe that she had the same slip of the tongue on three different occasions, but perhaps your standards are different from mine.

Kellyanne Conway told fake 'Bowling Green Massacre' story more than once - Business Insider

I will be really, really generous and just assume that she's not that well informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies