Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 12:52 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,862,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
a new fake news poll every day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Still bitterly clinging to discredited polls I see. It's going to be a fun 8 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Didn't you hear? Anything negative about him isn't true. He said so, and he'd never lie since he's not a politician... despite being the president... FAKE NEWS!!!!!

My comments without the fictional idiot character: yeah. He's pretty unpopular with a lot of people. I know his voters just heard me call him Hitler, but whatever. Some people like him, some don't.
Polls are "fake news" when they're negative - but the President still doesn't mind using them when they suit his argument:

Trump’s Mix of Politics and Military Is Faulted

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Trump opened his remarks at MacDill Air Force Base on Monday with a campaign-style celebration of his election victory, citing polls that indicated he had won the votes of a large percentage of the military.

“We had a wonderful election, didn’t we?” he proclaimed to an auditorium packed with officers and troops. “And I saw those numbers, and you liked me and I liked you. That’s the way it worked.”
How convenient for our great Orange President.

So which is it, Trump supporters? Believe them? Throw them out and polling science?

Man - this consistency is killing me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 12:59 PM

13,899 posts, read 6,394,394 times
405 people is NOT indicative of the population as a whole. There is also a 5 point error margin so it could be only 47% of those 405. Wake me up when a real poll is conducted.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
405 people is NOT indicative of the population as a whole. There is also a 5 point error margin so it could be only 47% of those 405. Wake me up when a real poll is conducted.
The sample size could be fine - the issue is one of accurate sampling. Without knowing their procedures, you can't simply rule it out. Although it's very fair to be skeptical.

To be clear, skepticism doesn't equal "LOL FAKE NEWS!".

Old 02-08-2017, 01:03 PM

13,899 posts, read 6,394,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
The sample size could be fine - the issue is one of accurate sampling. Without knowing their procedures, you can't simply rule it out. Although it's very fair to be skeptical.

Have you asked yourself yet why they left out all that info? BTW, 405 is miniscule, it means nothing.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:06 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,966,349 times
Quote:

That's why, unless I can see the methodology, I don't put too much stock into these reported polls. It's nothing more than fodder to opponents or even advocates depending on which way the poll lands. Plus, pollsters should be loud and clear about their methodologies these days after their abysmal failure during the election. Yet so many persist doing the same things - oversampling, lack of methodologies explained, push polls, etc, etc. So skepticism yes and for me, quite a bit of it these days.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:08 PM

7,160 posts, read 4,718,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Its all about America first. Many Libs do not understand. The proof in the pudding will be results. All ready we have results and our economy is growing!
Results of what? What has he done for the economy?

Old 02-08-2017, 01:09 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,309,266 times
Quote:
"Most" implies a majority.

I have not seen a single statistic that shows that over half of Americans approve of Trump over 50%. His approval seems to be in the 30's or 40's (at best) - and his disapproval has been consistently over 50%.

But please share your statistics. I'd love to see them.

Updated daily

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Wednesday shows that 53% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Trump’s job performance. Forty-seven percent (47%) disapprove.

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports™

All I care about is trump voters that gave him the election, a election where he won 30 out of 50 states, more counties than any republican since Ronald Reagan. Are trump voters unhappy with Trump, I highly doubt it.

Republicans won both chambers of congress, scotus for a generation, majority of governorship and legislatures. I would love to see poll of what people think of the Democrat party

Old 02-08-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Have you asked yourself yet why they left out all that info? BTW, 405 is miniscule, it means nothing.
How often do you see methodology accompanying polling results? I'd love that to be a standard practice, too - but I almost never see it.

405 can definitely be representative. That sample size is plenty large - the issue is one of accurate sampling. We can't answer that without knowing more about their methodology.

It's fair to be skeptical.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That's why, unless I can see the methodology, I don't put too much stock into these reported polls. It's nothing more than fodder to opponents or even advocates depending on which way the poll lands. Plus, pollsters should be loud and clear about their methodologies these days after their abysmal failure during the election. Yet so many persist doing the same things - oversampling, lack of methodologies explained, push polls, etc, etc. So skepticism yes and for me, quite a bit of it these days.
I don't disagree.

But I'm not calling out "skepticism".

Old 02-08-2017, 01:12 PM

30,483 posts, read 17,913,344 times
Let's face it: polling--particularly state polling--was so far off this election cycle that its understandable why many are refusing to buy into polls from these very same firms today. Simply put: I'm not convinced that these firms have got their methodologies right in a way that is truly measuring the feelings of the electorate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies