Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 02:54 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Sounds good to me. We won't need tourism as jobs return to stay afloat and will safer for it.
Yea, its a trillion dollar industry which employs 7.3 million Americans, but who needs it? Who needs money? Those people can always cut grass and pick fruits instead.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:59 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I know many of my friends are deciding to avoid the US for holidays. If this

U.S. Visitors May Have to Hand Over Social Media Passwords: DHS - NBC News

gets passed, and becomes the standard for every tourist and those entering for work, many, will simply not bother.

It is sad really. After 9/11 crossing into the US was like entering a communist country. I saw guards yelling at people, asking questions in a snarky manner, and basically treating people like garbage. Then it got better. The attitude over the years improved. Not totally, but better.
Now it seems it's going back again.

EDIT: Wrong link posted, corrected.
Too bad my story from years ago never got published about how a friend and I were detained for a few hours crossing into Canada from Montana. We waited around most of the time, but a round of questions about why we were coming into the country, where are we going, and several different questions about having firearms.

But hey, a woman, one out of who knows how many Canadians went to the US that day, was inconvenienced, let us all have a knee jerk reaction over it. .

Old 02-09-2017, 03:03 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,530 times
If indeed that there is a real decline in tourism in the US, we can blame that completely on the media and the liberals who wanted to let the world know that they think the US stinks right now because of Trump. Trump isn't the problem at all. It is what people are constantly saying about Trump that is the issue. YOU are scaring off tourists.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:03 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Sounds good to me. We won't need tourism as jobs return to stay afloat and will safer for it.
Good old ignorance...

In the US, tourism is either the first, second or third largest employer in 29 states

Tourism contributed almost 1.5 trillion USD to the economy in 2014, which is about 10% of our economy.

https://www.statista.com/topics/1987...try-in-the-us/

Old 02-09-2017, 03:05 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Unless they have a stamp in their passport from one of the 7 countries why would this be a problem? The Visa Waiver Program is still in effect and their passport is all they need.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...waiver-program
sorry mate but if you search you will find that people were blocked from dozens of countries around the globe. not 7 but maybe 50 or more.

You see many folk who are from those countries are not travelling FROM those countries thus there was a fuss in lots of places you might not have expected.. People were turned back before boarding. That meant their local media were delighted to have a "local" spin for the big story. They were able to find lens friendly families good solid people who made a great addition to the weeks big story... that is how our media works too. If a plane crashes on the east coast TV on the west will often show the local family who lost a child , dad etc....

Trump did not think it through and is stupid enough to fight this fight and it is not a fight he can win. Even if the ban stands he has shredded our nations image...

Old 02-09-2017, 03:08 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Everyone I know is making vacation plans out of the country. Several are checking out Costa Rica.

But then, I was never going to be standing in line at Disneyland anyway.
We doubled-down and bought a house at Lake Chapala, Mexico, near Guadalajara. We will also travel to Guatemala and Spain (Iberia slated to start NS service from GDL to MAD soon).

Yesterday at the MXN Consulate in Orlando FL, we were granted Residente Permanente visas.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:09 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
If indeed that there is a real decline in tourism in the US, we can blame that completely on the media and the liberals who wanted to let the world know that they think the US stinks right now because of Trump. Trump isn't the problem at all. It is what people are constantly saying about Trump that is the issue. YOU are scaring off tourists.
sure, that is the problem. People protesting a disgusting man that the entire world watched talk about grabbing women's genitals.

You do understand that tape played and played and gets played today in nations across the globe, along with his defining the people of Mexico as rapists and thieves. Then once Trump gets in he decides to push out a ridiculous BAN that gets the entire world against him.

Trump did this, the GOP helped and right wing voters encouraged him, applauded him and voted for him. Don't blame us for your votes....

Old 02-09-2017, 03:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Too bad my story from years ago never got published about how a friend and I were detained for a few hours crossing into Canada from Montana. We waited around most of the time, but a round of questions about why we were coming into the country, where are we going, and several different questions about having firearms.

But hey, a woman, one out of who knows how many Canadians went to the US that day, was inconvenienced, let us all have a knee jerk reaction over it. .
This is different.

Any person NOT declaring they have firearms when entering Canada, will have those firearms confiscated, and the person held, or fined or both.

Besides, you not following Canada's gun laws while trying to enter Canada, is VERY different than if they asked you about what you thought of our PM, and what your religion was.

I don't think you realize yet how big this is. How many people are going to avoid the US, even stop buying US products etc. I was on an Australian travel site and it's the same. Many postponing or changing plans to visit the US.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:19 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
This is crazy talk.

People have been watching Trump carry on for better than a year now.

It's not like folks are saying anything about Trump that isn't true. Most of it he says himself. Or tweets.

BTW, those goofy tweets go all around the world too.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:27 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

I don't think you realize yet how big this is. How many people are going to avoid the US, even stop buying US products etc. I was on an Australian travel site and it's the same. Many postponing or changing plans to visit the US.

People feel powerless to change what is happening in the U.S., but they can let their dollars do the talking.

People are canceling conference registrations.

There are Boycott USA websites and Facebook pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies